Trying to install Puppy with 128 MB of RAM

Booting, installing, newbie
Sky Aisling

Trying to install Puppy with 128 MB of RAM

#46 Post by Sky Aisling »

We could have used you in when I was programming in BASIC. But, that was 1968. :wink:
And, we had punched paper cards to work with...if we'd drop a deck, we'd take a coffee break then cry alot. lol!

saintless

#47 Post by saintless »

starhawk wrote:My goal is to make this relic practical if it is at all possible, or determining by exhaustive experimentation that such is NOT possible.

"Practical" is defined as "light web, word processing, and email" i.e. 90%+ of what the average PC user with a MUCH better machine generally does. I doubt I'll be able to run YouTube videos at even base (240p) quality, but it should handle nearly everything else.
Just a suggestion - light web browser more memory hungry but much better than Dillo you can use Firefox version 2.0.1 from here. Extract the archive and start firefox executable. It works like portable applications and all changes will be saved in its own folder. To watch youtube videos download and copy libflashplayer.so plugin in /firefox/plugins
I use it myself on desktop with 128Mb RAM + SWAP file. Youtube front page will give you an warning it does not support your web browser but just ignore it and continue. You will be able to play some youtube videos nicely but most of them will load slow.

Cheers

Dewbie

#48 Post by Dewbie »

saintless wrote:
Youtube front page will give you an warning it does not support your web browser
Here's a nice little workaround for that.