Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Alternative to pmode=6
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
JustGreg

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2012, 19:11    Post_subject:  Alternative to pmode=6
Sub_title: Access to the entire Linux partition with a fugal installation.

Use of pmode=6 for Puppy is experimental and often has problems. The idea is to use a fugal installation, but, still have access to the entire Linux partition. This allows one to use the space of the partition and not just that of the save file.

I have tried using pmode=6 with every Puppy since this mode came out. In general, it has not worked, either with shut down problems or adding an extra sfs results in errors.

I have come up with an alternative way of getting to the rest of the Linux partition without using pmode=6 installation. I do a normal fugal installation with a save file of 512 Megabyte size. I set the installation with the needed additions, either Pets or additional sfs files. I then use Rox filer to create a symbolic link to /mnt/home. The link name by default is "home". I can now use the extra partition space from within the save file. The browser download directory is now in the existing partition space and not the save file.

The system shutdowns or reboots properly. On startup, both the save file and home partition under FSCK without errors. For experimenting or development work (with devx sfs) this is a good alternative. I hope this helps.

greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2012, 01:06    Post_subject:  

Nice idea. i will have a play with this. Sick of running out of savefile space...
JustGreg

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2012, 18:27    Post_subject:  

Greengeek, thank you for the reply. I am interested in how this works for you. I have another experiment that I will be trying. I will move root directory out of the save file to the main partition (/mnt/home) and place a link to it in the save file. One needs to do this with another system running and not the one you are planning to modify. I will report if this works.

Follow up: It did not work. The "root" directory needs to be in the save file for proper startup. However, one should be able to move some sub-directories . We see what happens.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum