SeaMonkey 2x: Can't change URL window/toolbar fonts (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Dewbie

SeaMonkey 2x: Can't change URL window/toolbar fonts (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Dewbie »

Back when I started this thread with SeaMonkey 2.5 official build, Import Wizard would launch after installation, allowing migration of data from SeaMonkey 1.x. This included ALL fonts; everything but the new icons appeared as they did in SeaMonkey 1.x.

Apparently, SeaMonkey 2.12.1 official build has no Import Wizard.

Edit / Preferences / Appearance / Fonts will allow changes to webpage fonts, but not URL and toolbar fonts.
Does anyone know how to do this?
The letter spacing is so tight that the URLs are almost unreadable.
Attachments
SM-2.5-import-wizard-pt1.png
SeaMonkey 2.5 Import Wizard part 1
(31.19 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
SM-2.5-import-wizard-pt2.png
SeaMonkey 2.5 Import Wizard part 2
(10.91 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
Last edited by Dewbie on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 02:07, edited 4 times in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Dewbie- if you employ a userChrome.css, then these mods may work.

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

You can try the Theme Font & Size Changer extension, which will let you change the GUI's font, size, style, weight and color.
(I should note that for me, the addons.mozilla.org page for the extension (and more or less AMO in general) thinks my Seamonkey 2.12.1 is actually Firefox 2.12.1 :roll:, so if that happens to you, either try to install it anyway, or save the extension to disk and drag it onto the Add-Ons window/tab.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions! :)

Here's what I did:

* Downloaded Theme Font & Size Changer.

* Ignored instructions to install; went to /tmp and moved the .xpi file to a storage partition.
(Then I still have it for future use.)

* Dragged .xpi file to browser window and followed prompts to install, then restarted browser.

Theme Font & Size Changer logo appears at far right of toolbar.
(Note: A warning states that it's not compatible with SeaMonkey 2.12.1, but that's not true; it works just fine. :) )
Attachments
before.jpg
Before: Default font
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
after.jpg
After: DejaVu Sans
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 502 times

Makoto

#5 Post by Makoto »

Hmm... that's odd. I haven't had any compatibility warnings with it on my Seamonkey. What happens if you try a check for updates in the Add-ons Manager? (The version of the extension listed in my Manager is 6.1.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Dewbie

#6 Post by Dewbie »

Makoto wrote:
What happens if you try a check for updates in the Add-ons Manager? (The version of the extension listed in my Manager is 6.1.)
It shows the same version you have, 6.1.

Makoto

#7 Post by Makoto »

Is it giving you the same 'warning' that it shows for the UnPlug extension in this picture?

(I have extension compatibility checks turned off, but it still shows those gripes regardless. Also, I updated UnPlug to a beta version after taking that screencap, so it's actually no longer showing that particular gripe. :D)

Dewbie

#8 Post by Dewbie »

The incompatibility warning appeared before I installed Theme Font & Size Changer 6.1.
Now everything's fine; no such warnings.
(And I don't have UnPlug installed.)

Makoto

#9 Post by Makoto »

Yeah, I was asking if you had a similar warning on Theme Font & Size Changer in the add-ons manager. :)

I'd figured it had been updated for SM 2.12.1 by the time you installed it (the 'last updated' date for the extension in my manager is 7/30/12, so it shouldn't have complained, in theory, but I can't be sure. Oh, well; it's not really a big deal, as long as it works and the manager isn't griping about it being incompatible now. :mrgreen:

Dewbie

#10 Post by Dewbie »

the 'last updated' date for the extension in my manager is 7/30/12
SeaMonkey 2.12.1 was released 9/10/12, so that might be the problem.

Makoto

#11 Post by Makoto »

Maybe. I guess I'm too used to extension developers just setting the maxversion to values like 2.* or 2.12.* (or a higher subversion, of course).

:oops:

Dewbie

#12 Post by Dewbie »

BarryK just started a SeaMonkey 2.12.1 thread here, so I mentioned the fonts problem.

Edit:
OK, just opened up the toolkit and took a few things for a spin.
(Also, have a look at the first post above; I updated the info...again. :shock: )

Everything I reported above was with Puppy Linux 4.1.2.
(Which, in hindsight, I should've mentioned.)

So I tried 4.3.1; same problem.
(And I'm assuming this applies to 431JP also :?: ...Are you there, Makoto? :lol: )

BarryK wrote:
I don't have this problem. Running SM 2.12.1 in Wary right now, the URL box is using DejaVu Sans and looks good.

This is because the SM PETs that I create have /root/.mozilla/.../userChrome.css, that specifies DejaVu Sans 12-pixel font for URL-box etc.
Ahhh...but it's not just the .pets! :shock:
Apparently, something inside Wary itself addresses this problem.

When I tried SeaMonkey 2.12.1 official build with Wary 5.1.1 and 5.1.4.1, everything's DejaVu Sans and easy to read. :)