with new kernel, my modem suddenly "just works"!

Using applications, configuring, problems
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

with new kernel, my modem suddenly "just works"!

#1 Post by nduanetesh »

Hi everybody,

A month or two ago, I wrote a three or four page novel about the steps to get my modem (an Actiontec V90 PCI call waiting modem) working in puppy. Well, I fired up a clean setup of pup 1.0.2 tonight and started through the steps to get my modem set up, and I kept getting odd errors, and I was confused that the process wasn't working. So, as a last resort I decided to see if the puppy modem wizard could do any better. Well, whereas it would have just crashed the whole system before, on an earlier version of puppy, tonight it correctly found, identified and setup my modem with ZERO effort on my part! Woohoo!

I've been generally very pleased with what I've been experiencing poking around in 1.0.2RC, but when this happened, I knew I just had to share it with everybody. BTW, could someone edit the Wiki and delete my pages of instructions, since as of now, it "just works"?

Thanks Barry!

ND

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

:D

Good news. This is just the sort of positive report to be expected and hoped for with the new kernel. The "official" Puppy 1.0.2 is expected for 17 May but is certainly as youi found, working enough to use on those previously unworking systems - and tweaking and giving feedback for Barry. Links for download are on wiki and web page.

Pup Power
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#3 Post by Guest »

I did some work on the modem-wizard script, can't recall what -- since I'm working on so many different things! -- but obviously I did something right!
So, where's that crate of beer? :wink:

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#4 Post by nduanetesh »

Barry, I'm assuming that was you replying as "Guest"...working undercover in the forums, eh?

Tell you what, next time I'm in Australia, I will *definately* buy you a crate of beer. You certainly deserve it!

Now...to come up with a reason to go to Australia....

ND

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#5 Post by nduanetesh »

By the way, Barry, do you think that the reason my modem is suddenly working is because of your changes to the modem wizard script? or the new kernel? or a combination of the two?

Just curious...

ND

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Dunno.

danleff

#7 Post by danleff »

I have had a look at the new kernel (rebuilding it on one distro) and the new support for wireless/usb and modems looks much improved. Fortunately, I don't use them now, but reading this makes me want to give it a go, just to see. I have a box of them in the closet.

Barry, I owe you a crate myself. where should I mail it to? :roll:
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith