Question about /usr directory

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bruce B

Question about /usr directory

#1 Post by Bruce B »

First off I'd like to thank everyone for this incredible operating system. It is actually fun using Puppy!

I have a question I'm sure someone can answer. I wanted a spell checker to check my text files, so I installed ispell for command line spell checking as follows:

/root/my-applications/bin/ispell (the executable)
/usr/lib/ispell/english.hash (the dictionary)

I thought that /usr was in RAM and when I rebooted the dictionary would be lost, but it didn't get lost. I reboot, the dictionary is still there and ispell works. Obviously there is something I don't understand about this. Will someone kindly explain where /usr is phsyically located and how it works?

Here is the output for mount:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on / type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /mnt/home type vfat (rw)
/dev/loop1 on /root type ext2 (rw)
/dev/loop0 on /usr type squashfs (ro)
none on /usr type unionfs (rw,dirs=/root/.usr=rw:/usr=ro,debug=0,err=tryleft,delete=all,copyup=preserve,setattr=left)

Thanks.javascript:emoticon(':D')

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, whenever you add anything to /usr, it actually goes to /root/.usr, which is saved in the pup001 file. It makes life much easier. It used to be that you needed to put stuff in /root/my-applications/ because /usr was read-only.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]