The xPad CPU could RUN Puppy LInux

News, happenings
gcmartin

#31 Post by gcmartin »

jpeps wrote: ... That doesn’t mean independent developers won’t find a way to port the operating system to run on those devices, but HP isn’t promising any assistance." ...
The product manager seemed to imply that there is current support (I think forum) that provides assistance.

But, I must wait for the HP TouchSmart that I am expecting to purchase soon.

You share that it does not run on these devices and yet he implied that it does. I'll try to contact him for more definitive position of what WebOS (GA version intends and where support questions can be answered.)

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 16:41, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

#32 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
You share that it does not run on these devices and yet he implied that it does. I'll try to contact him for more definitive position of what WebOS (GA version intends and where support questions can be answered.)
Personally I don't know; that was a quote from the review.

gcmartin

WebOS

#33 Post by gcmartin »

Summary of WebOS and its development assistance
AND
Official HP supported site for WebOS

I would recommend that you start with the Summary, above, then progress to the Official site which has comprehensive support (forum) and what experience you can expect.

HP's site showing its progression from Palm to WebOS "Community". Click Community.

Here to help

jpeps

#34 Post by jpeps »

BTW/ the review noted the TouchPad isn't supported. They have it running on the their TouchSmart. They're hoping that other developers will include it on mobile devices.

gcmartin

#36 Post by gcmartin »

Everyone, by now, should have seen the "Surface". It has a processor that appears to be able to run a PUP should one want.

Problem: How to root this to allow a different OS to boot?

Also, expect that should you be able to run "full" Windows8 there is virtual host technology that might offers some additional OS options via your Surface.

Off and running. xPads....I should begin to reference these as Xphones and Xpads for what 2013 is leading us toward....the future as our lives are moving to the future as well.

Here to help

jpeps

#37 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:....the future as our lives are moving to the future as well.
???

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#38 Post by Lobster »

Fellow future dwellers,

Puppy supports x86, now
Woof also is beginning to support ARM
We have Puppy running on 3 (I think it is) different ARM chips
Potentially it could also run on MIPS/Dragon chips being used internally in China
The developments in one woof improve the others.

I am spending practically all my time on an ARM powered pad. I do not expect or even think I want Puppy on it, it would requiring jailbreaking.

However our steam powered desktops will be eventually out of date when pads are cheap, have long battery lives and include a keyboard in the cover. That time is not yet here.

The ARM chip is a wonderfully simple design, ideally suited to running a small innovative OS.
There is a lot still to do. touch screen support. Android app support and a simplified interface that will run on 3 devices:

Desktop
Xpad
and phone

The merger, the gray area between phone and pad is now occurring . . .

jpeps

#39 Post by jpeps »

Lobster wrote:
The merger, the gray area between phone and pad is now occurring . . .
The same apps will run on any android device.

gcmartin

#40 Post by gcmartin »

jpeps wrote:The same apps will run on any android device.
I'm not entirely sure this is true. Seems some for TV do not run on Xphones/Xpads and vice-versa.

Just a word of caution.

Here to help

gcmartin

New US regulations

#41 Post by gcmartin »

Don't know how many are aware of one of the latest US regulations.

It allows (makes legal) the "jail-breaking" of your Xphone (cell phone) thru 2015.

BUT, it is now ILLEGAL to "jail-break" your Xpad or your xTV.

Imagine that@#*!

jpeps

#42 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
jpeps wrote:The same apps will run on any android device.
I'm not entirely sure this is true. Seems some for TV do not run on Xphones/Xpads and vice-versa.

Just a word of caution.

Here to help
I believe xTV are just apps that run on your device, like XYNO, TED, etc..

gcmartin

#43 Post by gcmartin »

jpeps wrote:I believe xTV are just apps that run on your device, like XYNO, TED, etc..
Sorry should I have confused anyone.

What I am referring to by placing and "X" in front of Pad/Phone/TV is the reference I make to SMART devices. The SMART devices OSs are Android, iOS, and now Windows8 versions for phone, pads, and touch-screed devices.

Sorry if I caused confusion to any of this thread's readers.

Here to help

gcmartin

5 new Tocuhsceen vendors

#44 Post by gcmartin »

Assuming dual boot and assuming my prior test with LightHoiuse64 on a HP TouchSmart remain consistent, we now have 5 vendors announcing lastweek TouchScreen Ultrabooks! The Vendors: Acer, ASUS, HP, Sony, Lenovo, and Samsung. WOW!

Take a look for yourselves. I think most of us can envision how these can be used and useful. For starters...BIGGER screens.

Here to help

gcmartin

Same industry information direction - slightly different pkg

#45 Post by gcmartin »

A new hardware information update.
There is a relationship between these 2 announcements. This was really evident at US's CES

Think this shows, indirectly, where the industry is charging toward.

jpeps

Re: Same industry information direction - slightly different pkg

#46 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:A new hardware information update.
There is a relationship between these 2 announcements. This was really evident at US's CES

Think this shows, indirectly, where the industry is charging toward.

Interesting headline. I wonder how many would agree that Microsoft is "blazing." Their next desperate move is trying to acquire Dell, although Dell isn't doing that well either.

gcmartin

#47 Post by gcmartin »

There are 3 posts in this thread that reflect, from articles I've found, where our technology is going. Here's the 3rd. If Intel follows thru, then I think we all understand. (This is comparable to the reason we don't ride horses to go from city to city anymore.)

CES was very helpful in getting more of a glancing look at this direction. Even though shown at CES, its not consumer. Much/most was presented with their application in business community.

One task that we can address is whether the devices can be adapted to be controlled by a PUP. And, if so, can we provide enough value, in its adaptation, to have people who would do so?

But, then, there is a fun factor that can be enjoyed.

Just some thoughts

jpeps

#48 Post by jpeps »

Intel exiting from the pc motherboard market is probably not all that important . I's doubtful that the world will stop using pcs in the next several years

edit: New marketing opportunity for touchscreens: bored orangutans.
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/20 ... rangutans/

gcmartin

#49 Post by gcmartin »

jpeps wrote: ... orangutans ....
This is fascinating. Similar kinds of things have been done with animals the world over. What comes out of this is that humans as well as the other animals in the animal kingdom will use anything that bring responses and enjoyment in their use. This goes from learning that pushing a button will bring food or treats, all the way to gaining benefit in the audio factor that can be programmed in. The idea for any project is to measure the responses that is found from the use. This is quite similar to what we do when we invite or hire people to test, and rate new technology that is either being evaluated or about to come out.

I would expect that with the attention that this is being given, I would expect that we will see some commercials soon showing what animals (including us) are doing with technology.

No matter whether we like the information, or not; this handheld (so to speak) technology is showing up just about everywhere. I recently saw a major corporation making changes to the stuff that their in-house operations team was just given resulting from a study done last year. They envisions savings in the millions while productivity and responsiveness will see across the board benefits.

I may not be all that old (I am old), but I understand what "they" are saying.

jpeps

#50 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
No matter whether we like the information, or not; this handheld (so to speak) technology is showing up just about everywhere. I recently saw a major corporation making changes to the stuff that their in-house operations team was just given resulting from a study done last year. They envisions savings in the millions while productivity and responsiveness will see across the board benefits.

I may not be all that old (I am old), but I understand what "they" are saying.
In the same sense that Blackberry devices initially changed the corporate landscape. However, I don't see touchscreen devices phasing out desktops that use a mouse. Note the lack of enthusiasm for buying a new computer with Windows 8. Touchscreens really have increased my love of using a mouse and keyboard, although they're great while traveling. For example, try programming with a touchscreen.

10 years ago, I would have guessed that digital would replace acoustic pianos. They're much cheaper and they don't require tuning. I was wrong. A church will pay $20,000 for an acoustic grand and rig microphones all over it rather than use a $500 digital hooked into their PA system. It's difficult to predict the future....ask Microsoft. Steve Jobs was very good at it.