Using applications, configuring, problems
npierce

#16 Post by npierce »

alphamale wrote:deleting this...

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

did not work. the intel sound card showed up in alasmixer even when the usb sound card was plugged in.
Did your USB card not appear in alsamixer's F6 menu?

Did retrovol work after changing its sound card to default?

Anyway, thanks for trying that out. Without a second sound card I can't properly test stuff, so I'll stop making untested suggestions. OscarTalks seems to have experience with this sort of thing and can give you better advice.

It is unfortunate that when retrovol is configured for hw:1, it won't even run if there is no card 1, so you can't easily reconfigure it for hw:0. That's why I hoped that configuring it for default would work, since it will run when configured for default, even if the card specified as pcm default in /etc/asound.conf is missing. Of course, you can hand edit the /root/.retrovolrc or write a script to choose between two different .retrovolrc files, but (like you say) there should be an easier way.

alphamale

#17 Post by alphamale »

switching index values in alsa-base did nto work.

as soon as i set retrovol to default, with the usb sound card not plugged in, it crashes, and i can't run retrovol again until i plug in the usb card.

the problem here is really the particular sound card i'm using. it was designed to only work when it is set as the default sound card. so i'm stuck having it as the default.

it won't show up in alsamixer when the default is set to internal sound card.

i'm sticking with the current set up which allows me to use both sound cards, just not the internal sound card headphone.

OscarTalks

#18 Post by OscarTalks »

The reason why Retrovol is crashing is because (once you set the index numbers) Retrovol needs to be set to hw:0 as it was originally (not hw:1 or default).

The mobo card is hw:0 now and is always present (and is the default) so Retrovol won't crash fingers crossed.

I would be surprised if a USB card effectively "insists" on being made the default. If it is detected I would expect it to show up in alsamixer as card 1. You may not be able to plug and play though, maybe a reboot is needed to load the module.
Oscar in England

alphamale

#19 Post by alphamale »

if i set retrovol to default or hw:o where the intel card is the default then i can't use the usb card.

the dragonfly needs to be set as the default audio card.

Smithy

#20 Post by Smithy »

It's great that Puppy will provide enough juice for that DAC headphone amp.

Maybe if a developer has time to look at how $icrosoft deals with multimedia, because if you flip over to a different card in windows it just does it dynamically.

Is there any particular reason that you don't just stick with your superior Audioquest for default sound?

Don't know whether Jack and Wineasio might help you.