Tahr 605 and 606 Google Earth probs & solution

Using applications, configuring, problems
Ed Howdershelt

Tahr 605 and 606 Google Earth probs & solution

#1 Post by Ed Howdershelt »

Hi, guys. Been using 5.7.1 for a couple of years and it's been a while since I had any issues with Puppy, BUT...
I grabbed v605 and tried it. All good, but couldn't install Google Earth after half a dozen tries. Then I grabbed the 64-bit version. Same problems.
Then I saw mention of PT606 in 32 and 64 and thought they might have fixed a few things, so I grabbed them and tried Google Earth again.
Nope. No success, no luck, no way.
After some swearing, I decided to see if one of the older GE's would work with them, so I went hunting through my pile here and found:

google-earth-6.0.3.2197-x86.pet
and
google-earth-7.1.2.2041-x86.pet

After all the hassles and failed downloads (from the QuickPet that didn't work) and general failures to load or run, I was surprised when google-earth-7.1.2.2041-x86.pet installed and ran apparently perfectly.
Still testing. If it doesn't work out, I'll post about that, but I've been messing with GE for about an hour and haven't had even one glitch.

SO... there's a possible answer for you if you're having the same GE issues. Might have to install some 32-bit stuff, but I've no idea what exactly.
Luck with it all,
Ed
Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
Science Fiction & Semi-Fiction
http://abintrapress.com (blog)

TechnoShaman

Quite easy!

#2 Post by TechnoShaman »

You should try to grab the following; I downloaded most of them from pkgs.org and almost all were for slackware 14.1 / 14.2 (one for "alien" slack)

googleearth-7.1.2.2041-i386-2sl.txz
libxshmfence-compat32-1.2-x86_64-2compat32.txz

Also, you need to check the libraries suggested by pkgs.org for Google Earth and download what you miss plus their 32bit counterparts from the package manager.
You will find many of them in GSplapt, the missing aren't "necessarily" required; you will find quite a couple of errors running in the background if you run the googleearth.sh file which is in opt/google/earth/googleearth.sh but the frontend doesn't show signs of problems while surfing the map,even with the flight sim included.
A screenshot though...You know...Is equal to a thousand words... 8)

Ed Howdershelt

#3 Post by Ed Howdershelt »

I appreciate your suggestions for installing GE, but they represent way too much time and trouble to achieve as little as I want from GE.

The GE pets I mentioned are convenient, quick, easy, and give me what's necessary. No trouble with them so far.

However, if someone cobbles up a GE pet specifically for this Puppy version, I'll give it a try.
Thanks,
Ed

TechnoShaman

#4 Post by TechnoShaman »

Ed Howdershelt wrote:I appreciate your suggestions for installing GE
Ed
And I appreciate the time you spent to tell me that.
But, a friend of mine has a saying "Never go to sleep if you didn't learn something new, no matter what it is!"
You might consider it the right time to begin to learn more about Linux. :wink:
After all,the procedure looks harder than it is in reality and you'll have a fully working GE.
Also, while it's true that you can easily install a PET, you can't be sure that it doesn't come with malware in it. 8)

Ed Howdershelt

#5 Post by Ed Howdershelt »

> You might consider it the right time to begin to learn more about Linux. :wink:

Nah. I have late-stage COPD. Some say 6 months to go, others say maybe a year. I say it doesn't really matter. Been there, done that, etc.

I have other things to do for now, at least until this thing makes it so I can't get up and around at all.
Maybe I'll have time to learn Linux then. :)
Ed

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Ed.

These two will work for both Tahrs, 32-bit and 64-bit.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ulvdbq ... ogle_Earth

Help yourself.

Mike. :wink:

Ed Howdershelt

#7 Post by Ed Howdershelt »

Thanks!
I'll check them out this evening during med time.
Ed

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

You're welcome!

Let me know if they work for you, please. They should.

I'm afraid they're SFS packages, rather than .pets, but I would hazard a guess that you know what you're doing with SFS packages by this time, yes?

Mike. :wink:

Ed Howdershelt

#9 Post by Ed Howdershelt »

[quote="Mike Walsh"]You're welcome!
Let me know if they work for you, please. They [b]should[/b].
I'm afraid they're SFS packages, rather than .pets, but I would hazard a guess that you know what you're doing with SFS packages by this time, yes?
Mike. :wink:[/quote]

Yup, know about sfs packages.
Nope, didn't work. Blotchy. Zooms and motions were okay, selections did what they should, but there were heavy mis-pixellations at every magnification level.

The version 7-whatever .pet file I tried had that problem, too.
The version 6-whatever .pet file didn't. Crisp and clean pix at all levels. Too bad I only found a 32 bit version, but for my purposes, the number of bits really doesn't matter. :)

I installed both 32 & 64 bit versions of Puppy to see which would perform best and discovered my uses really didn't push matters hard enough to see a difference.
Now the 64 bit partition has Linux Mint 18. Puppy Tahr32 is my default boot and Mint is there to handle anything Puppy can't.
Ed