Nero 6.6 finds Reading Errors in every Puppy (Solved)

Please post any bugs you have found
Delphi123

Nero 6.6 finds Reading Errors in every Puppy (Solved)

#1 Post by Delphi123 »

Dear friends:

I am positively intrigued by PuppyLinux. Never heard of anything so amazing. So I tried to download the latest 1.08 version, then the chubby 1.05 version, then the slim version. In each case, Nero 6.6 found reading errors in various sectors (while verifying the burn). So, I had to abandon my pursuit. I downloaded the files both with Firefox and with SmartFTP in Windows. What gives? This couldn't be. Please enlighten me.

Here is a screenshot from 1.09:

http://www.websher.net/tmp/nero1.jpg

Thank you.

Benjamin

Ted Dog

try checking the md5sum

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

There is a checksum released with each version. Using the utility md5sum.exe to check ISO prior to burn. if it checks out, try slowing the burn speed down. The iso is highly compressed so no space is wasted.

Auda

#3 Post by Auda »

Would read errors not indicate that the disk isnt being burnt correctly ? ie nero says I burnt this but what is read back is different. I would try writing at a slower speed.
Auda

Delphi123

#4 Post by Delphi123 »

Dear friends:

I think you are right. I lowered the burn speed to 8x (1,200) and this time Nero burned and verified without any error messages. Will try PuppyLinux shortly.

Thank you.

Benjamin

slvrldy17

Burning a Puppy CD

#5 Post by slvrldy17 »

Like others, I've found out the hard way that using the slowest speed to burn a Puppy CD is the only way to insure that errors won't be a problem. Have used Nero but after trying it have gone to using Burn CDCC from Terrabyte at its slowest speed - 4x - works every time, it's a free download, and it does nothing but burn ISO images to a disc. Makes it very near goof proof. Check the wiki for where to download it.
Always give without remembering - always receive without forgetting.
Alice

Delphi123

#6 Post by Delphi123 »

Dear Alice:

You are absolutely right. I lowered the burn speed to 8x and Nero verified it without errors. Did it again with a CD-RW 4 at 4X and once again. No errors. Thanks so much.

Benjamin