why do I keep losing my wifi connection? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
BADGER.BRAD

why do I keep losing my wifi connection? (Solved)

#1 Post by BADGER.BRAD »

Hello All,

I keep losing my wifi connection on boot up all is fine but If I leave the PC for more than 20 minutes ( not sure of the exact length of time) I no longer have a connection, only a reboot cures this.
Has anyone any clues as to why this maybe ?

Thanks all

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

I have heard of wifi cards with a power-save feature that turns them off (which is highly undesirable in Puppy!). I do not recall the remedy.

Standard procedure here is to bring your system specs (or at least make and model) as well as detailed information about the problem and which Puppy you are using. The more info you give us, the more help we can give you. Unfortunately many people do not know of this and bring us very vague requests like "i can't boot right please tell me what to do" with little or no actually useful information.

Credit where credit is due: thank you for being at least somewhat specific with your issue, rather than "my wireless don't work rigth what i do wrong?"

What is needed for this issue is:
(1) What system do you have? Make and model at least, specs would be better (but we can usually look them up if it's not a custom build).
(2) What version of Puppy are you using (or trying to)? Need Puppy's full name, eg Wary Puppy 511.
(3) What is the make and model of the wireless card, if you know it? (At least, which driver are you using?) If the system in question is a laptop and you never changed out the card, we MAY be able to find this for you (no guarantees!) if you don't know it already.
(4) If this is a laptop with a physical wireless switch as well as a light for the card, it would be good to know about this -- also if this is the case, wiggle the switch, as they do tend to go bad after a bit.

EDIT: oh dear, where are my manners? Welcome, as we say, to the kennels!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I believe this problem has been mentioned before and was caused by some sort of "keep alive" connection with the ISP. If your ISP doesn't see any activity from your computer for a certain period of time, it will drop your connection. I could be wrong about the cause, but I'm sure such a problem has surfaced several times in the forum.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

A lot of Puppy versions have a program to help deal with this issue.
Not sure if you have the program in the version of Puppy you are using.
Go to menu->internet->Stay Connected to internet
Make this program active.
It does what it's title says.
If you do not have it, the pet for the program is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#509398

When it is activated it will be active from that point on.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

If stay connected does not help you maybe have a Router
that one need to enter as Admin and to set it to keep wifi?

But I would read what the others suggest first.
I know very little but I had to go into my Router
to keep LAN going I did not test wifi.

another problem with wifi is taht it can drop due to
Microwave oven and such disturbing the signals.

So tell us more what you have and how it behaves
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

BADGER.BRAD

#6 Post by BADGER.BRAD »

O.k like an idiot I tried to post a message up here and then lost the connection resulting in a reboot and lost post so here we go again ! Is there a way of displaying system information as the PC it's self was rescued from a bin and other than being a tiny any other info is unknown and the Puppy disc I am using was burnt a couple of years ago as a trial which I only labeled Puppy 2010 ( Lucid I think !)

The point that some people have made about my system turning off my wifi connection due to inactivity now seems to make sense as I tried leaving an internet radio station on which lasted a good while ( although I lost the connection over night) I have had to use this approach so that I keep the connection whilst I post this message up.

I have just installed stay connected so will give it a trial.

Thanks everyone for the help

Brad

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

For computer info:
Look in menu->System->Information->
Look for a program like:
Hardinfo
Sysinfo
etc...

If you think you are using a version of Lucid Puppy from around 2010, that could be your problem. That was the early days of developing Lucid Puppy and it was buggy.

Try using one of the newer versions of Puppy.
If you want Lucid Puppy. The latest version is here:
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.005.iso
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

Almost every store-bought computer ever (by which I mean the non-custom builds) has a model # sticker on it *somewhere*... if you can track that down, I'll see what I can do about getting you some specs ;)

BADGER.BRAD

#9 Post by BADGER.BRAD »

Thanks for the offer starhawk ,but the Tiny PC I have has no model number or type on it at all there is the plastic badge saying Tiny but that is it, I'm guessing there was one but it has long since perished.

The wifi connection problem is now solved by using stay connected so thanks very much for that.

Brad

starhawk

#10 Post by starhawk »

Just for the sake of my curiosity, if you have a digital camera, can you post a picture of this TinyPC? I'm a sucker for small form factor systems (as the formal term goes) and I'd love to see what this looks like.

Unfortunately, google is not terribly helpful with just "TinyPC". All it told me was that there was a UK company selling those that went bust in IIRC '02. Apparently another UK company picked them up shortly after, and that 2nd company went bust in '05. Not very successful, then!

If you have a "HardInfo" entry in your Menu, posting its information (via screenshot or otherwise... I think you can copy out that info as text) would be awesome as well.

EDIT: The two Wikipedia articles that google brought up are here and here.