Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 00:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Graphics
mtpaint 3.44.89- October 2014
Page 10 of 15 [217 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
don570

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul 2014, 16:16    Post subject: version 3.44.82 compiled and posted  

version 3.44.82 compiled and posted

Note: If you are experimenting with the script -->
you can return to default script values by trashing the hidden configuration file /root/.mtpaint

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul 2014, 20:10    Post subject: Version 3.44.83 - scripting  

Version 3.44.83 has a preliminary version of scripting support.
Scripting, at the moment, doesn't yet cover 100% of mtPaint's capabilities, but already can do everything that 'mifcon' from libmtpixel could - except file operations, and running without a GUI.
The syntax is like this:

# Comment line
-path/to/command option=value option2=value2 -pathto/command2=value3 ...

Newly-scriptable functionality is visible in mainwindow.c diff: the items that got "s" tagged onto menuitems' descriptors. Smile The menu paths are decoded the same way as desribed for version 3.44.82 here, for parameters: either a prefix match to the first word, or to any word beyond first. An unnamed field in a dialog is set through default parameter (one with an empty name). So that "Palette->Set Palette Size" to 16 color can be done by -pal/size=16.
A more detailed description will be done later. Smile
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul 2014, 20:24    Post subject:  

Does mtpaint have the ability to resize a selection? I see that I can flip a selected area horizontally or vertically etc, but it would sometimes be handy to be able to scale it before re-pasting it back onto the original image.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul 2014, 23:57    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Does mtpaint have the ability to resize a selection? I see that I can flip a selected area horizontally or vertically etc, but it would sometimes be handy to be able to scale it before re-pasting it back onto the original image.
Not that _I_ know of though I have looked (not exhaustively) before ... would be nice for pasting from an external image too, not just an internal selection. ... I think I ended up cropping, then scaling, then copying then pasting or some similar craziness.
wjaguar

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul 2014, 05:54    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:

No, it doesn't. And if everyone cares this little about that, then it won't.
I'm seeing talk about this "resize a selection" again and again over the years, but not once have I seen anyone even suggest an interface for the thing. Seriously, people, I am sick and tired of the parasitic attitude. Sad
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul 2014, 15:48    Post subject:  

wjaguar wrote:
I'm seeing talk about this "resize a selection" again and again over the years, but not once have I seen anyone even suggest an interface for the thing. Seriously, people, I am sick and tired of the parasitic attitude. Sad

Hi wjaguar. Sorry for the offense my question has caused. Is there anything I can do to help with the interface you have mentioned? If there is anything I can do to help I will be happy to assist.
don570

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul 2014, 17:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
Does mtpaint have the ability to resize a selection?

Actually it does!!

When you create a new layer, one of the options is 'Clipboard',
so just transfer your selection to another layer and do a scaling of that
layer. Change the hue as well.
Edit the selection channel if you don't need the entire original selection .
It's easy to do the transfer back to original layer using your clipboard.

Here's a summary of instructions...

Code:

copy the clipboard (Ctrl-C)
Make a new layer by going to the menu...

Layers > New Layer (from Clipboard)

Scale the image to be bigger by going to the menu...
Image > Scale

To edit the selection region...
Channels > Edit Selection

To remove jagged edges do a gaussian blur of one or two

Return back to editing the image...
Channels > Edit Image

Select all  ( Ctrl-A )
Copy to clipboard   (  Ctrl-C )

Paste in original layer

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug 2014, 12:55    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Sorry for the offense my question has caused.

Not offense, exasperation. Smile It is truly beyond my understanding why people are so much more willing to talk about what they would like to have, than to tell what, specifically, they do want. Experience should have taught everyone, very early on, that other people in general do not mindread. Wink

Quote:
Is there anything I can do to help with the interface you have mentioned?

Yes, naturally. Smile Just explain to me how you would like this feature to work. By what keys, clicks, drags, menus, dialogs, or whatever.
Preferably, it should also avoid interfering with existing mtPaint features - otherwise, we'll have to find some way to resolve such interference in a least-annoying fashion. Smile
If some other program implements this in such a nice way that you think it can be taken as example - either as is, or with some corrections - then name it, and tell in which way it could be improved if it needs improvement.

Of the new features in mtPaint lately, those not invented by myself, all have originated in this way - by someone who wanted it enough to take the time to explain to me what it is that he wants, and help me find an useful way to integrate it into mtPaint.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 00:27    Post subject:  

draggable edges to resize (or even click outside it the same way selection works), I don't know if anyone wants rotate or skew (I've haven't had a need for it yet), but possibly with a modifier key while dragging (Alt for rotate, Ctrl for skew, etc...)
something like this maybe? ...
Code:

##                                   ##
##-----------------#-----------------##
 |                                   |
##-----------------#-----------------##

or a right click context menu, that basically has (a subset of) the same options for the selection that you would have for the image in the regular menus

charlie6

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 01:04    Post subject:  

Hi don570,
don570 wrote:
Quote:
Does mtpaint have the ability to resize a selection?
Here's a summary of instructions...

Also helpfull: Menu>View>Show Dock (F12) to display the works map in an explicit way, as also other tools (opacity among others).

@Technosaurus: using don570's how2 , doing Menu>Image>Free rotate applied to a selecion, and moved to an (...apart) other layer, and aftrwds paste to the original image, allows to get a «rotated selection».
More, opacity setting is also available provided beforehand conversion of images to RVB.

@wjaguar: thanks keeping updated this awesome mtPaint ! Smile
Have plenty of fun ...! Cool
Greetings,
Charlie

ps: @don570: THANKS giving us nice howto's ! Smile one could easily figure out how much of your precious time it needs.
wjaguar

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 10:03    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
draggable edges to resize (or even click outside it the same way selection works),

Myself, I feel a click-to-resize is a little too extreme Smile and it is incompatible with drag-to-resize. But it isn't complicated to implement both, and a toggle in prefs to switch between them - then we can see what works best in practice.

Keyboard control, then, will be the same as for selection - Ctrl+arrows will move right bottom corner only, but that will be enough as the resized paste area can then be moved around by arrows.

Another question is, what to do with resized clipboard when paste is cancelled (by pressing "Escape", or otherwise) - leave it resized, or return to the original one? (Considering that if it's left resized, then there will be no easy way to undo the resize and restore the original clipboard.)

Quote:
I don't know if anyone wants rotate or skew (I've haven't had a need for it yet), but possibly with a modifier key while dragging (Alt for rotate, Ctrl for skew, etc...)

Ctrl+click is already bound to picking color from canvas. Alt+click is reportedly intercepted by GNOME and nontrivial to disable there.
And Shift and Ctrl+Shift serve for coordinate fixation. Which will be a necessity for resizing in a single direction, when the selection area is small, or if a click-to-resize approach is used.

Quote:
or a right click context menu

Right click is already "Commit paste".
Now you see what my "integrate it into mtPaint" meant? Wink Most kinds of control inputs are already bound to something or other, and finding an opening where to add something new is not a trivial thing.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 16:28    Post subject:  

The way I would like to be able to use it is:

1) Add a new menu entry (in 'selection' menu) labelled "scale" - put this entry below the entries that already exist in the 'selection' menu as follows:
Flip Vertically
Flip Horizontally
Rotate Clockwise
Rotate Anti-Clockwise
Scale

2) When the user clicks 'Scale' the program should display the same (or very similar) dialog window used by 'Image, Scale Canvas' function.

3) The users chosen 'scale' parameters would be applied only to the item that has currently been selected by using 'ctrl c' to capture the area defined by the selection tool.
MTpaint would use scaling steps similar to those described Don570 above, but maybe it could be done without visibly opening a new layer - the user does not need to see the actual transformation window as they have already selected the area to transform, and have selected the scale parameters.

Dons method is very helpful to allow a much broader range of transformations than just 'scale' (thanks for the tutorial Don!) but the proposed addition would be limited to 'scale' only.

4) As soon as mtpaint had acted on the 'scale' request, it would load the scaled result back into the clipboard and the user would repaste it with 'ctrl v'.
don570

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 16:41    Post subject: mtpaint version 3.44.83 available  

version 3.44.83 available in first post

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 18:36    Post subject:  

You are totally right of course... The selection method in mtpaint is quite different than most other tools, but after getting used to it, its nice ... especially on laptops where a click + large drag can become a 2 handed operation, but probably 90% of selection resizes would be tweaks small enough to be 1 hande.
The only issue with a dialogue based approach is the case where one is trying to get a particularly exact fit such that it would require the preview to be visible in place and it could control the offset.

While we are on features, how hard would it be to add a Paste from File entry?

wjaguar

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 18:58    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
The only issue with a dialogue based approach is the case where one is trying to get a particularly exact fit such that it would require the preview to be visible in place and it could control the offset.

Yes. And this is why it is better to have both methods. Smile
The cost of having a dialog in addition to interactive resize will be trivial - the extra computational part (for the rare case of masked RGBA clipboard) will be for the most part the same code for both, and the dialog itself already exists for scaling the image.
Quote:
While we are on features, how hard would it be to add a Paste from File entry?

What for? Load/Copy/Undo/Paste = the same.
The undoable loading has been there since version 3.20 to solve this use case, among others.
Page 10 of 15 [217 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Graphics
Jump to: