Wary 5.3.92 (5.4beta2), Dec. 3, 2012

Please post any bugs you have found
FeodorF

Problem with mounting an sfs-file while using Wary 5.3.90

#46 Post by FeodorF »

Question:

I'm using Wary 5.3.90 and trying to mount the puppy_racy_5.3.90.sfs file to look at it. It fails with an error message: "Failed mounting..." .

If I try it the other way round:

Using Racy 5.3.90 and trying to mount the puppy_wary_5.3.90.sfs file everything works fine. "Success!..."

What is the reason for something like this?
Attachments
Trying ToMountRacySfsFile.png
(56.51 KiB) Downloaded 1584 times

`f00

#47 Post by `f00 »

@FeodorF
Timing is the short answer. I've noticed myself (viewing other version main sfs, especially if read from another optical disc) that a major sfs can be a trifle 'slow' to be recognised and read, I think some of it has to do with checking for compatibility (gross and fine). My rule of thumb check on the timing is to see if rox has read the properties of the sfs and then click-mount it - since I've been doing this I've rarely had a failed mount for viewing.

There's also a new-ish mssg about 'view' as opposed to installing (not too sure if that's sfs_load related however, I have shinobar's on-the-fly installed as well since it's so handy). Sry I can't doublecheck your particular since racy works so well for me that following wary isn't so practical (given the size of the iso and my dialup conn).

hth, anyway

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

FeodorF

It's maybe compression related? Racy uses xz compression where Wary can't because of the older kernel.

To test that theory you'd need to try to mount it on the command line and see what errors occur.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

FeodorF

Problem with mounting an sfs-file while using Wary 5.3.90

#49 Post by FeodorF »

Thank you `f00, thank you 01micko!

I did some more testing, by copying everything onto drive 'C'.
I`m wrong! It was drive 'sda1'! :D

@01micko

I think you are right at the money, as the /tmp/xerrs.log throws out an error message.
Attachments
WaryXerrorLog.png
(8.62 KiB) Downloaded 1453 times

sszindian

Mplayer

#50 Post by sszindian »

Mplayer... does not display a fullscreen-picture when you go to fullscreen.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

FeodorF

Re: Mplayer

#51 Post by FeodorF »

sszindian wrote:Mplayer... does not display a fullscreen-picture when you go to fullscreen.

>>>---Indian------>
Hi sszindian!

You are right, full screen doesn't work with Racy 5.3.90 ,but works fine with Wary 5.3.90 . Please try if Wary works full screen on your side too.

James C

#52 Post by James C »

Wary 5.3.90 live pfix=ram hardware test on an old box with an occasionally working hdd...... at the moment no swap.
No problems so far.

Report Video 1.3 - Fri 5 Oct 2012 on Wary Puppy 5.3.90 - Linux 2.6.32.59 i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1
oem: Copyright 1998 TRIDENT MICROSYSTEMS INC.

X Server: Xorg Driver used: trident

X.Org version: 1.3.0
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (321x241 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
# glxgears
313 frames in 6.8 seconds = 46.225 FPS
414 frames in 7.0 seconds = 59.055 FPS
414 frames in 6.4 seconds = 64.190 FPS
414 frames in 7.5 seconds = 55.191 FPS
276 frames in 5.3 seconds = 52.414 FPS
414 frames in 6.5 seconds = 63.379 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
Memory : 1026MB (169MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 05 Oct 2012 09:56:35 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa GLX Indirect
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Attachments
wary 5.3.90.png
(31.14 KiB) Downloaded 1744 times

don

Chrome and Chromium Browsers

#53 Post by don »

Will Wary and Racy ever be able to run Chrome and Chromium browsers, or is there a fundamental incompatibility impossible to resolve?

Terryphi

Re: Chrome and Chromium Browsers

#54 Post by Terryphi »

don wrote:Will Wary and Racy ever be able to run Chrome and Chromium browsers, or is there a fundamental incompatibility impossible to resolve?
Racy and Wary lack the library versions required to run the latest versions of Chromium and Chrome.

However, I produced an SFS of an older version of Chromium which does work with Racy and Wary.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 49&t=65802

Use entirely at your own risk. I no longer provide support for it.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

sszindian

Wary

#55 Post by sszindian »

FeodorF wrote:

You are right, full screen doesn't work with Racy 5.3.90 ,but works fine with Wary 5.3.90 . Please try if Wary works full screen on your side too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry FeodorF... haven't used wary for a long, long time, earlier versions worked OK on my desktop but not very well on my old notebook so I just don't bother with it, Racy works fine on both!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

666philb

#56 Post by 666philb »

mplayer will go fullscreen if you install your graphic drivers
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

slenkar

#57 Post by slenkar »

-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
Version : 1.3.0
-Monitors-
Monitor 0 : 1024x768 pixels
-Extensions-
BIG-REQUESTS
DAMAGE
DEC-XTRAP
DOUBLE-BUFFER
DPMS
Extended-Visual-Information
GLX
MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
MIT-SHM
MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
RANDR
RENDER
SECURITY
SGI-GLX
SHAPE
SYNC
TOG-CUP
X-Resource
XAccessControlExtension
XC-APPGROUP
XC-MISC
XFIXES
XFree86-Bigfont
XFree86-DRI
XFree86-Misc
XFree86-VidModeExtension
XINERAMA
XInputExtension
XKEYBOARD
XTEST
XVideo
-OpenGL-
Vendor : Mesa project
Renderer : Mesa GLX Indirect
Version : 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)
Direct Rendering : No

(Intel 845g graphics card)

I installed the 5.3.9 wary and direct rendering was not working so I upgraded xorg, I was running seamonkey at the time and now seamonkey is deleted, trying to install seamonkey 2 from the package manager doesnt seem to work.

With the new xorg the video card works but the desktop starts as 800x600
but before 1024x768 was possible. In xorg.conf it only mentions 1024x768 not one mention of 800x600.

before the desktop starts the text seems to be at 1024x768 resolution too.

(Intel 845g graphics card)

drblock2

Fastest Puppy ever!

#58 Post by drblock2 »

I first ran Wary 5.3.90 with my old save file from Wary 5.3.3. Imagine my surprise (delight) when my nvidia GeForce FX 5200 clocked in at 7450 fps on glxgears! This is more than twice as fast as the previous record ca. 3400 fps held by the previous Wary version.

Network setup did not work automatically and SNS refused to connect although it found the router. On reboot, however, the problem disappeared. Sound worked and I was able to setup network printing with CUPS - which I had never succeeded in doing with the older version.

For comparison, I did a new installation with pfix=ram. The nv driver was loaded and delivered glxgears 425 fps. I loaded the nvidia-base-71.86.14.pet from the PPM along with the corresponding kmodule. I downloaded sfs-load-1.9.6 with the PPM and used it to install the kernel-patch and devx files. After choosing Nvidia - nvidia with xorgwizard, I ran glxgears. Result: ca. 3450 fps. Not to worry, however. After creating a save file and rebooting, glxgears registered ca.7600 fps. (I can't imagine why creating a save file should produce this increase in performance.)

SeaMonkey and my stand-alone installation of Opera 11.02 both worked, but required the flash plug-in. I consulted the PPM and tried 10.10.15.3-w5c - which did the trick.

Tentative Conclusion: At least on my ten-year-old Athlon (2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, FX 5200), eliminating the tap dance with nouveau certainly pays off. The nv driver delivers respectable results and the PPM allows the user to upgrade to nouveau or the proprietary nvidia drivers. The strategy should be to make sure (insofar as possible) that Puppy always boots to a usable desktop and to offer an upgrade at the earliest possible opportunity.

slenkar

#59 Post by slenkar »

Legacy OS 2 allows me to have 1024x768 resolution BTW

Ted Dog

Bluray boot works with this version of racy

#60 Post by Ted Dog »

Thanks back to playing with booting and running directly from a bluray disc.

also noticed oddity with remaster script if you re-master it shaves 3M from the resulting iso everything seems to be there

Sage

#61 Post by Sage »

re-master ... shaves 3M from the ... iso
Any formula for shaving 30M?!

Tman

#62 Post by Tman »

I have a little repository of apps for Wary ->here

The majority of the those apps/libs, I have compiled myself. Some are from the Wary5 reopository and there for convenience.
They were compiled in my Wary-5.1.1 remastered derivative. All apps except, kernel-specific apps should be compatable with newer Wary, as long as the dependencies are met.

A lot of the apps and buildingblock libraries are newer than the ones found in the Official Wary reopository.. well, they are newer for the time being.
If I don't lose interest, I will try to update that repository from time to time.

scsijon

wary vs racy

#63 Post by scsijon »

downloaded both rc1's and installed with the same configs and on the one box.

added flashplayer to wary as it's not there by default

tried out on my satellite connection

racy was clearly the better, both for access, screen changes and downloading with seamonkey left unmodified.

also got fbdev module missing complaint in the log file.

Also,
barry was talking about wanting a secure linux somewhere, have a look at Tail Linux. It looks like the apps are secured rather than linux itself, may be worth a check.

npierce

Woof bug: xorgwizard changes touchpad settings with Xorg 1.9

#64 Post by npierce »

This is actually a Woof bug, not a Wary or Racy bug. But since Wary/Racy development goes hand-in-hand with Woof development, and since there is no Woof thread, I figured that this might be the best place to report it.

The bug is in xorgwizard, and only affects Puppies that use the Xorg X server version 1.9. (That was the case for Slacko 5.3.3, but I don't think any Wary or Racy release uses that version of the X server.)

Possibly no one will ever again build a Puppy with Woof that uses that version of the X server, in which case this bug would never cause a problem again. But it might be nice to fix it, just in case.

For details see: Running xorgwizard changes option settings for synaptics touchpad driver.

(Note: Although the xorgwizard bug shouldn't affect Wary or Racy, the above report also mentions a minor bug in flsynclient. That bug would, of course, affect any Puppy that uses flsynclient.)

npierce

Minor error in Packages-puppy-wary5-official.

#65 Post by npierce »

There is an entry in Packages-puppy-wary5-official for udev_DEV-167-patched_t2-w5. The entry indicates that this package depends upon udev version 167 (dependency field says "+udev&eq167"). But there is no entry for that version.

Code: Select all

udev_DEV-167-patched_t2-w5|udev_DEV|167-patched_t2-w5||BuildingBlock|52K||udev_DEV-167-patched_t2-w5.pet|+udev&eq167|rules and executables for handling kernel uevents|puppy|wary5||
There is, however, an entry for udev version 167-patched_t2-w5.

udev-167-patched_t2-w5|udev|167-patched_t2-w5||BuildingBlock|484K||udev-167-patched_t2-w5.pet||rules for handling kernel uevent messages, plus executables to monitor and respond|puppy|wary5||
So I am guessing that the entry for udev_DEV-167-patched_t2-w5 should be:

udev_DEV-167-patched_t2-w5|udev_DEV|167-patched_t2-w5||BuildingBlock|52K||udev_DEV-167-patched_t2-w5.pet|+udev&eq167-patched_t2-w5|rules and executables for handling kernel uevents|puppy|wary5||