QtWeb super light browser - wishing pet

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
feelsub

QtWeb super light browser - wishing pet

#1 Post by feelsub »

Re: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79793

In a puppy derivative I discovered QtWeb.

Would any one be so kind enough to deliver the latest as pet.

Thanks

tuxtoo

#2 Post by tuxtoo »

Get the pet here http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/2.14X/S ... f-i386.pet

If you want to look for something puppy related use :

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

TheAsterisk!

#3 Post by TheAsterisk! »

If I recall correctly, that package is for QtWeb version 3.7.2.

I have one for 3.7.3 available if anyone wants it. [link]

Pelo

pet 3.8.4.2 provided by french Forum

#4 Post by Pelo »

pet 3.8.4.2 provided by french Forum
"Je viens de te dire que Qt est intégré dans l'exécutable
Il existe aussi un pet de qtweb-3.8.4-2-x86.pet "
Médor.
Qt included
Attachments
UserAgent.jpg
(11.97 KiB) Downloaded 1501 times

Terry H

#5 Post by Terry H »

After 31/2 years the original poster has probably moved.

Pelo

Don't worry the date, take the pet !

#6 Post by Pelo »

Don't worry the date, take the pet !
Subject is still valid.

hamoudoudou

needed by one user, helpfull to thousands.

#7 Post by hamoudoudou »

needed by one user, helpfull to thousands. Merci Pelo.
Why french would have recently done a pet if useless ?
Try QtWeb instead of wondering about the dates !
Attachments
Ras le bol.jpg
Linux boring, burn out !
(60.48 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

pet requested for version 3.8.5

#8 Post by Pelo »

pet requested for version 3.8.5
Not only one person was needing this version, i suppose. My 3.8.4 with Slegopen is enough for Youtube, and... Facebook.
perdido has version 3.8.5.

Is a late answer better than no answer.. ? Yes :!:

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Been using this for quite a while, in various Pups. As Geoff said back on page 1 of this thread, it's a keeper.....amazingly full-featured for its diminutive, Pup-sized 'pawprint'..! As requested, here's a .pet for 3.8.5, which is available from my MediaFire a/c:-

https://www.mediafire.com/?epqsldzjske6gqs

I've used Médor's 3.8.4.2 from the French forum as the template, and merely upgraded the binary itself.....which is all you get in the download in ANY case. Runs sweetly.....and rather more efficiently than as a stand-alone, executable binary. Seems to prefer being properly installed, since for some reason it places its cache & settings in the same directory as the executable..../usr/bin. Anyway.....

Enjoy!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#10 Post by belham2 »

Saw this thread the other day, and wondered what in the heck a qtWeb browser could be like. Downloaded it, threw it on one of Fred's DebianDogs, and good heavens, the thing is dam# blazing fast. I am in love with the thing---maybe I haven't tested it enough, but it seems more stable the Midori, handles "https" better (though Youtube did trip it up a bit), and I love how you can customize it. I just found my new browser for pure fun browsing exeprience for all the pups I use.

Thanks all for bringing this thread up. ~12.5MB, I still can't get over it is that small :D

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Mike Walsh.

I suppose it requires the entire Qt package to run?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Pelo

"-- Qt-library statically combined."

#12 Post by Pelo »

"-- Qt-library statically combined." I suppose that mean that Qt libs are included. Qtweb is ready for use (at least the version compiled by Médor, our French Linux expert)
As Slimboat, you can launch QT apps to take advantage of installed QT libs. Symphytum is really a nice one (database)

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

musher0 wrote:Hi, Mike Walsh.

I suppose it requires the entire Qt package to run?

BFN.
Hi, musher0.

TBH, I don't really know. Several of my Pups have one or the other of the various 'qt-lib' SFS packages floating around the forum loaded, for one app or another. Tahrpup has qt-4.8.5 loaded, which I need for watchdog's 'pulseaudio' Skype to run.....but I do have QtWeb running in Slacko 570, Precise 571 and X-Slacko 2.3.2, none of which have any Qt stuff installed at all.

And it still runs.

So I would guess whatever Qt stuff it needs must be statically compiled into the binary itself, since I can't see where else it could possibly be.....

Marv

bookmark importing

#14 Post by Marv »

Had to have a look-see. Set up 3.8.5 to live and run from my non-boot Ext2 drive (portable setup). I just set up a wrapper which calls explicit locations and a launcher to call that wrapper. I'm currently in LxPupSc 16.11.1. Runs quickly and well, sets up and remembers its profile on that drive just fine, configures and sees my fonts correctly. Quite quick and rendering not bad but I have yet to get it to import html bookmarks from a file at all. Using its import facility, I go to my directory holding both Opera andFirefox exports in html format and it shows an empty directory. Played with case etc. to no avail. Anybody done this? Just want to know if it is a quirk of my setup or more general.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Marv.

No mate, it's not a quirk of your setup..! I've tried this out in different ways, and it doesn't matter if you use it in 'portable' format, or as a 'regular' install; it just will not show imported bookmarks.

That is its one Achilles hell, I find. Aside from the need to re-enter your most-used bookmarks from scratch, everything else about it is amazing. Astonishingly fast, pin sharp rendering on my old Dell lappie (which is the one I wanted a lightweight browser for in the first place), and it hasn't turned its nose up at any of my regular 'awkward' sites yet.....

First time for everything though.....! We'll see.

PFan

#16 Post by PFan »

Hello Mike Walsh,

Your QtWeb is pretty snappy on anything I've tried running it on. Thank you.
A possible work around on the bookmark issue is this website, http://www.linkagogo.com/go/Convert which will convert html files to xbel format. The only issue I had was that it inverted the order of the bookmarks.

Also I think Midori will import html and export xbel, if you have a copy of that working.

Not the prettiest solutions, but they may be better than "starting fresh" on your bookmarks.

Thanks again for the pet file

Marv

#17 Post by Marv »

PFan wrote:Also I think Midori will import html and export xbel, if you have a copy of that working.
Thanks, I have Midori with all my marks on this laptop also so I'll give that route a try first.

Edit: Worked well. The sorting is a bit wonky like in Midori. Played around with the appearance a bit.. The bookmarks bar can be dragged to the top just above the tabs bar as I like it and the mousewheel font resizing (CTRL scrollbar on the laptop) works well. I'm using OpenSans fonts with it as I have them onboard for chromium and all-in-all I'm pleased. So far I've run it under LxPupSc 16.11.1, LxPupXenial 16.08.2, and X-tahr 2.0. Will not run yet under X-slacko 4.2 or the newest X-slacko Slim. Haven't persued that yet but looks like library issues, not unexpected.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, PFan.
PFan wrote:Hello Mike Walsh,

Your QtWeb is pretty snappy on anything I've tried running it on. Thank you.
Well; it's not actually my QtWeb, exactly.....but I'm pleased to hear the updated .pet works for you.

Thanks for the info about the .xbel conversion, BTW; I'll look into that. Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Marv: I've also had problems with it in any of rg66's X-series. You've used them a lot more than I have; did he actually strip a whole load of 'standard' libs out when he created them, or is it that XFCE requires a whole load of extra libs'n'stuff like that? I'm curious about this; I run X-Slacko 2.3.2, y'see. I have a bunch of stuff that runs in Slacko 570 (which it's based on).....but trying to run them in X-Slacko seems very hit and miss. On more than one occasion, I've had to copy libs over to X-Slacko to get things to run at all..!

Pelo

QtWeb 3.8.5 pet downloaded.

#19 Post by Pelo »

QtWeb 3.8.5 pet downloaded. Quite sure lib QT not included. 12MB is really light.
Your English is hard to understand, dear colleagues..
I will try it ASAP, with a Puppy delivered without browser.
I am glad enough for this topic, started a long time but updated when new versions appear.. That the way i like things :)

Marv

#20 Post by Marv »

@Mike, I also have had to add some libs in for printing etc in the X-slacko series but in this case I am coming to the conclusion that QtWeb 3.8.5 is compiled against glibc newer than 2.17. I looked at it in slacko 6.3.0, also glibc 2.17 and the errors in terminal are the same. X-tahr 2.0 has glibc 2.19 while LxPupSc and LxPupXenial are 2.24 and 2.23 respectively. Running the 4.1.31 kernel in all for this quick look-see.