Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
MAB

HP 1320 and printserver

#1 Post by MAB »

Puppy - 5.2.8 on Compaq laptop AMD 64 - 120G disk, 1G ram
CUPS 1.4.3
root is only user.

downloaded hplip_scan-3.12.9 pet
hplip-3.12.9 folder in Downloads under root, ppd files are gzipped.

Cannot get anything to print to:

lpd://192.168.1.240/ps-4acc63-p1 - a D-Link printserver with a parallel port to HP Laserjet 1320.

I believe I am using the same cconfig that my Ubuntu 11.10 systems are using which works... one with Foomatic and the other with hpcups.

Found 'Filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups' for the printer not available, no such file or directory? in error log?

Probably missing something but cannot suss it out at the moment...

Thanks,
Martin Booker

rcrsn51

Re: HP 1320 and printserver

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

MAB wrote:downloaded hplip_scan-3.12.9 pet
That's the scanner package. You want the printer package - hplip_print-3.12.9 pet
hplip-3.12.9 folder in Downloads under root, ppd files are gzipped.
Please explain. What is this? Where did you get it? What have you done with it?

Puppy already has a Gutenprint driver for the Laserjet 1320, so you don't need to install an HPLIP package. Did you try it?

What printer installation procedure have you used?

MAB

Solved

#3 Post by MAB »

Hi,

I had downloaded the .run version of this file while getting confused perusing the various posts... It did not install cleanly the first time since I was missing python. Installed python etc. and re-ran.

Discombobulated everything and got hplis and foo from your instructions. Installed those and now have printer working with hpcups.

Unfortunately though it still only works from a hard wire on the LAN, cannot get the laptop to 'see' the printserver over the wireless even though Internet access works (writing this from the laptop). I will have to delve into my router manual. Applied firewall fix mentioned in another thread.

Thanks muchly,
Martin Booker

rcrsn51

Re: Solved

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

MAB wrote:I had downloaded the .run version of this file while getting confused perusing the various posts... It did not install cleanly the first time since I was missing python. Installed python etc. and re-ran.
Here is a good general rule for setting up printers in Puppy. Only use PETs that you get from the forum. They have been built and tested specifically for Puppy.

rcrsn51

Re: Solved

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

MAB wrote:Unfortunately though it still only works from a hard wire on the LAN, cannot get the laptop to 'see' the printserver over the wireless even though Internet access works (writing this from the laptop). I will have to delve into my router manual. Applied firewall fix mentioned in another thread.
Here is a command to try:

Code: Select all

mpscan -p 515 192.168.1.240
This will show if the print server can be seen by the laptop.