Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rokytnji

#1291 Post by rokytnji »

Not sure what I am missing.

I installed Unetbootin 585 from Carolina 1.2, (Frugal install), puppy package manager.
Got a missing pzip-full message first time opening unetbootin so I went ahead and installed p7zip-cli since that was what was available.

Unetbootin opens OK with no error. Plug in usb. It shows as unmounted on desktop. I grabbed my MX-14 iso from my backup internal /dev/sdb OK.

I go to USB to select drive and nothing shows though /dev/sde shows OK on the Desktop. I tried mounting/opening it and restarted Unetbootin. Same problem.

I even reformatted in gparted again as Fat32 to be sure.

Ejected USB. Unplugged and replugged it in. Tested numerous times even in different usb ports to be sure. It still would not give me a drive selection in Unetbootin. I ended up making the Bootable USB on my AntiX 11 M/C shop Desktop Computer instead. Any extra info/details needed. Just let me know. Just posting the info.

USB drive is a SanDisk 2gig Cruzer that I removed U3 Firmware from long ago to make it a regular usb drive.

Geoffrey

#1292 Post by Geoffrey »

@rokytnji,

I can't get it to work either, I was using the precompiled binaries, I downloaded the latest source code and compiled it, but still no luck, it seems it's not compatible with some pups, but I'm sure it did work at one point, or in my mad rush to add packages to the repo neglected to test it, sorry. :(
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

proebler

problem with nomacs image viewer and some other comments

#1293 Post by proebler »

Thanks for the replies to my earlier post.

Update on my experience with nomacs:
It does not work for me on a P4 computer and on Pentium M laptops.
It does work on a Pentium Core2 machine.
nomacs-1.6.4 (installed from pet) now works on the Core2 after putting in a symlink libraw.so.5 pointing to libraw.so.2.04.
nomacs-1.6.2 (which comes with Carolina-1.2) works 'out-of-the-box' on the Core2.
Trying to run nomacs-1.6.4 from terminal on the Pentium M gives "Illegal Instruction" error.

I have restored rc.shutdown to its original state.
PupsaveConfig is working OK and I do get the option to save/not-save at shutdown/reboot.
Power down works, but on the Pentium M laptop, 'Restarting system' still hangs and I have to use the power button.
Both these functions do work on the Core2 machine.

So both my observations seem to be hardware related.
Therefore my new question:
Is Carolina-1.2 intended for relatively recent hardware only?

cheers
proebler

Geoffrey

Re: problem with nomacs image viewer and some other comments

#1294 Post by Geoffrey »

proebler wrote:Thanks for the replies to my earlier post.

Update on my experience with nomacs:
It does not work for me on a P4 computer and on Pentium M laptops.
It does work on a Pentium Core2 machine.
nomacs-1.6.4 (installed from pet) now works on the Core2 after putting in a symlink libraw.so.5 pointing to libraw.so.2.04.
nomacs-1.6.2 (which comes with Carolina-1.2) works 'out-of-the-box' on the Core2.
Trying to run nomacs-1.6.4 from terminal on the Pentium M gives "Illegal Instruction" error.

I have restored rc.shutdown to its original state.
PupsaveConfig is working OK and I do get the option to save/not-save at shutdown/reboot.
Power down works, but on the Pentium M laptop, 'Restarting system' still hangs and I have to use the power button.
Both these functions do work on the Core2 machine.

So both my observations seem to be hardware related.
Therefore my new question:
Is Carolina-1.2 intended for relatively recent hardware only?

cheers
proebler
Carolina is based on Saluki started around Nov 2011

" Saluki is a woof-build based on Racy 5.2 with Xfce. The suggested target hardware is computers less than 5 years old. It should run reasonably fast on older machines and netbooks, but Xfce does need a bit more ram and cpu than the standard ROX/Jwm puppy - probably at least 512MB of ram and 1GHz CPU for decent performance. "

Carolina as grown in complexity since then with some newer software mainly QT, as a comparison to what machines you are running I run Carolina on a 2007 vintage
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
Memory : 4146MB
you will still have a problem with the non-PAE version too, for the Pentium M it may be better to try Carolite-1.1 which is a stripped back version that you can add to from the repo.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

proebler

#1295 Post by proebler »

@ Geoffrey
thanks,
I am aware of the pae issue with the Pentium M.
I have plenty of RAM and processor speed to run other Puppies, so it is no problem, just wanted to see what Carolina is like.
I posted my observations so that perhaps it may help others.

I am also trying x-precise-2.3.
What is the targeted hardware for that ?
I may post re the PupsaveConfig on x-precise-2.3, because it does not seem to be doing what it should.

thanks again,
proebler

gcmartin

#1296 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Geoffrey and @Proebler. I am a "M" owner, as well, as can be seen below. My "M" is a PAE model, as shown below. This system has been used in the past when testing all Carolina versions.

Some members have a non-PAE model. But members also have the PAE models too.

This is provided to indicate that not all "M" models were the same in functionality.

Hope this helps
Attachments
Hardinfo-report_Pg1_2014-04-03_012342.png
Hardinfo report of Laptop
(53.59 KiB) Downloaded 1172 times

rg66

#1297 Post by rg66 »

I also have a Pentium M 1.5Ghz and although it is PAE enabled, apparently the flag is not set. Lina seems to work OK but X-precise won't shutdown properly and acpitool doesn't work with any puppy. I think that's a BIOS issue with the Acer Travelmate 4500.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

don570

Uextract 3

#1298 Post by don570 »

Uextract 3 now works well in Carolina. It's very useful for extraction.
If rar and peazip is installed it will extract those archives as well.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

proebler

#1299 Post by proebler »

Perhaps I can now answer the question of my previous post myself.

Carolina-1.2 non-pae does not seem suitable for some 'older' hardware, at least not for what is available to me.
This is the summary of my testing the use of nomacs picture viewer and of reboot & shutdown with save/no-save option.
Pentium Core2: everything working.
Pentium M with pae support (Compaq nc6220): nomacs and reboot not working, shutdown working.
Pentium M without pae support (Compaq nc8000): Carolina boots, but no mouse or track pad function> no menu access, nothing working.
Pentium P4: nomacs not working, reboot & shutdown working.

cheers
proebler

Marv

Re: problem with nomacs image viewer and some other comments

#1300 Post by Marv »

proebler wrote:Perhaps I can now answer the question of my previous post myself.

Carolina-1.2 non-pae does not seem suitable for some 'older' hardware, at least not for what is available to me.
This is the summary of my testing the use of nomacs picture viewer and of reboot & shutdown with save/no-save option.
Pentium Core2: everything working.
Pentium M with pae support (Compaq nc6220): nomacs and reboot not working, shutdown working.
Pentium M without pae support (Compaq nc8000): Carolina boots, but no mouse or track pad function> no menu access, nothing working.
Pentium P4: nomacs not working, reboot & shutdown working.

cheers
proebler
Must be non-cpu hardware dependent. I run carolina 1.2, carolite 1.2 (non-PAE versions) and their predecessors on the following laptops basically with no hardware problems at all:
Fujitsu S6520 core 2 duo iwlwifi (5300) i915 video
Fujitsu S6120 and S6210 Pentium M (no PAE flag) ipw2200 intel integrated video
Dell D610 Pentium M (PAE flag) ipw2200 intel integrated video

In all cases flsynclient is used to configure the touchpad (ALPS and Synaptics) but it works pretty well on first boot, just not my preferences in click and scroll. The full boat Carolina is a bit 'laggy' on the Pentium Ms but runs and a LibreOffice SFS is the 'office' solution on Carolite. Can't speak to nomacs, I use viewnior/mtpaint as needed and only do mundane resizing etc. with images.

Just my experience...
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

bibzpu

Puppy on chromebook

#1301 Post by bibzpu »

Below is my post at the Beginners Help forum:

My only computer for the time being is an Acer C720 chromebook running xubuntu in developer mode

My favorite puppy version (Carolina namely) boots up and runs fine off of a usb flash drive except for two important issues.

No sound. No touchpad (a usb-connected mouse works though).

I have very little programming experience.

If anyone can even point in the direction of how to modify puppy to have sound and track movement on a recent chromebook, please post.

This puppyite misses the sound of the bark and the touch of the tail.

Bibzpu

elroy

Re: Puppy on chromebook

#1302 Post by elroy »

bibzpu wrote:No sound. No touchpad (a usb-connected mouse works though).
For sound, open a terminal window and enter 'alsamixer' (without the single-quotes). Arrow right or left to move between the desired categories; arrow up or down to increase/decrease volume. Your volume may be muted by default. If the volume is muted (for example on the 'Master' track) no audio will be heard. Simply arrow over until it's highlighted, and then arrow-up to un-mute and increase the master volume. If your system uses jack or another type of sound system, you may want to referrer to the Saluki forum. When you're finished, click the 'x' on the upper right of the window to close and save your changes.

As far as the mouse touch-pad goes, ensure that the xf86-input-synaptics-1.5.0-i486.pet is installed (I'm currently using lina-lite-005, and it is included by default, and I'd bet a weeks wages that is also the case with Carolina-1.2, too). You can do this by opening the Puppy Package Manager (make sure you're connected to the internet). When the Package Manager fires up, enter xf86-input-synaptics into the search box, and click the button 'Find Pets'. From there click install, then download, and if you get warning messages to the effect that it'll be overwritten, then it's already installed; at that point you can cancel-out.

Once it's installed (xf86-input-synaptics-1.5.0-i486.pet), or rather, once that you've verified that it's installed, go to the main-menu button (the 'Windows' button), then 'Control Panel', then 'Desktop' and select 'Mouse and Touchpad'. Make sure that 'Device' is set to 'Synaptics Mouse'. Select the 'Touchpad' tab and ensure that 'Tap touchpad to click' is checked.

Edit: If you still don't have success, you may want to peruse the Saluki forum; many of these issues were solved previously with Saluki,. And being that Carolina is a Saluki derivative, you may find success with those methods.

Geoffrey

#1303 Post by Geoffrey »

@elroy

Hi stranger hows it going, long time no hear, good to see your still lurking around :wink:

elroy

#1304 Post by elroy »

Geoffrey wrote:@elroy

Hi stranger hows it going, long time no hear, good to see your still lurking around :wink:
Going good...you need to pm me your pidgin account (and rg66's, too) to make contact. I somehow lost that..

Yeah, I'm still lurking...puppy is the bomb.

Geoffrey

#1305 Post by Geoffrey »

elroy wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:@elroy

Going good...you need to pm me your pidgin account (and rg66's, too) to make contact. I somehow lost that..

Yeah, I'm still lurking...puppy is the bomb.
Yeah, yahoo stopped working in pidgin, using Google talk now, I'll send you my info.

Cheers.

bibzpu

#1306 Post by bibzpu »

Thanks for the ideas, elroy. I'll certainly give them a try.

Geoffrey

#1307 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated repo.
smtube-2.1 (QT Search and download videos from YouTube)

smplayer-14.3.0 (QT A great MPlayer front-end)

copyq-2.1.0 (QT, A cut & paste history utility)

QuiteRSS-0.15.3 (QT QuiteRSS is a RSS/Atom feed reader written in C++/Qt4)

focuswriter-1.4.6.pet (Qt text writer)

gcmartin

#1308 Post by gcmartin »

@Geoffrey, @Elroy, @RG66 = The Wonderful World of Carolina.

Request: Could the next version bring MTP integration into the system, OOTB?

Anyway, currently loving it in Puppyland

Geoffrey

#1309 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated repo, replaced AssaultCube as the old version no longer loaded internet servers, new version assaultcube-1.2.0.2

Moat

#1310 Post by Moat »

Carolina 1.2 is simply the schizzle, IMHO! 8)

Been trying out a few more recent distros lately, and was especially interested in the new LTS release of Xubuntu 14.04 and how it (and others) compare to Carolina. And... meh. Carolina does pretty much all that it/they do, but faster/flawlessly from USB stick and is easier to setup, with all of the handy little tweak apps that you devs have included. After throwing dozens of apps at it, I only once ran across an issue involving 'Lina's older glibc(?) - trying to get TeeJay's Conky Manager to work - so no big deal, really.

Just outstanding!

That said - over the months I have ran into a few (minor) glitches that may or may not be directly related to my newb hack attempts at trying out different things - but I'll throw 'em out here anyways, in case some others have noticed similar issues (hopefully providing evidence that it's not purely my fault, after all! :) ). These issues seemed common on a few different frugal USB installs, running on various older (2005-ish) computers here...

1) PupsaveConfig doesn't work - one must enter the desired value (in my case '0', for no periodic save) in the ramsaveinterval line 9 of 'pup_event_frontend_d' in /sbin, to reflect the '0' as set/saved in Pupsaveconfig. Searching the forum indicates this is a somewhat common, older issue?

2) Initially, the "Run Command" from the default Xfce Applications Menu did not work (entering a command and pressing "enter" did nothing), but then seemed to function normally after the App Menu plugin was removed and re-installed to the panel a time or two (a moot point for me anyway, as I'm now using the super-nifty Whisker menu instead).

3) After some odd amount of normal use installing/uninstalling packages, the PPM seems to "break" somewhat - in that, out of the blue, it begins to always display the "error - package xxx failed to install", even though the application appears to install and run just fine. This has eventually been the case on three different 'Lina USB frugal installs I've done.

Interesting to note that, when a Puppy's PPM is working normally, there appears to be a period of time (maybe 5-6 seconds) during the install process where the CPU spikes as PPM goes through some kind of file cleanup/uninstall file writing or ?? - but once "broken", the Carolina PPM doesn't display this behavior - quickly throwing the error message instead. Maybe some important cleanup/data not being done/written? Dunno, but the installed apps seem to function normally.

4) The selected mouse cursor theme (Polar, in my case) appears to have difficulty loading on boot, defaulting to the small black cursor about every other boot - adding various 'sleep' times (of a few seconds) to the '0-cursor-theme' script in the /root/Startup folder has mostly appeared to fix the problem. I think... so far, so good, anyways.

5) Might be a Firefox 26 issue - selecting "Open containing folder" from Firefox's download manager toolbar button opens three instances of Thunar. I haven't been able to find much info regarding a fix (or even the problem, itself) whilst Googling around the 'net. Maybe a result of dragging my .mozilla folder out of the savefile space and symlinking back...? Odd, anyhow.

6) Not a Carolina issue, but the Xfce weather panel plugin only very ocassionally displays any data - and even then the data appears to be a bit out of date/erronous, compared to more local USA sources (Yahoo, Accuweather). Seems like the Norwegian source of data may not be too reliable - shame, really, as the plugin displays a very nice set of info at a very small cost in bandwidth.

Otherwise, lovin' it. Carolina is about as close a sub to my trusty ol' XP that I've run across, in hopping amongst a few dozen distros - Puppy and otherwise. Outstanding Puppy!

Bob
Attachments
snapshot2.jpg
Carolina 1.2 olive/sand desktop
(80.23 KiB) Downloaded 1261 times