Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pelo

the same as above, with adrv from lina007

#1786 Post by Pelo »

the same as above, with adrv from lina007
Here we are a lot, on the Carolina boat. I feel alone on new version greyhound by buckaroo, a lonesome passenger.
makagiga-5.8 added by geoffrey is really nice to do list.
Preparing video : set the audiomixer in the menu multimedia : nothing is activated
look here Don't forget Capture, and toggle it
Attachments
lina007.jpg
Puppy Linux can be a pleasure, even for users.
(63.12 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times

Pelo

ah version Lina007 has just resized my linasave

#1787 Post by Pelo »

ah version Lina007 has just resized my linasave, Greyhound version failed to resize greysave, that is the reason why i changed for older lina0007 (new for me, never had this Carolina at home before, only Saluki)
Saving to my pendrive is strangely slow. Pendrive can be the cause.. but i will transfer Lina007 to a different one to check if linasave still so slow.
12 Auguste, burn to DVD-RW Verbatim Multissession. Session well recorded but does not load at Boot.
hardware of software ? Question asked in starhawk topic about external DVD Writers. Click the blue to jump to hardware topics.

Pelo

atunes 3.0.8

#1788 Post by Pelo »

atunes carolina provides the newest version for Puppy Linux, see specific topic by knocking on the blue

Dromeno

simple scan for Carolina?

#1789 Post by Dromeno »

Hi Carolinians,

I was away for a few years, now my knowledge of carolina is rusty. Could use some help. I am trying to revive an old Asus eee 901. Carolina works great. But I would like to add the ability to use a scanner, is there a version of simplescan http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59298 which works for Carolina? if not, what is the most sutable alternative?

and: how do I turn of system sounds, like the loud BEEP which Carolina produces when I make a typo.

thanks in advance for usable answers!

battleshooter

Re: simple scan for Carolina?

#1790 Post by battleshooter »

Dromeno wrote:Hi Carolinians,

I was away for a few years, now my knowledge of carolina is rusty. Could use some help. I am trying to revive an old Asus eee 901. Carolina works great. But I would like to add the ability to use a scanner, is there a version of simplescan http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59298 which works for Carolina? if not, what is the most sutable alternative?

and: how do I turn of system sounds, like the loud BEEP which Carolina produces when I make a typo.

http://smokey01.com/carolina/sfs/printe ... er-001.sfs

That's the printer scanner sfs I've always used, comes with xsane I believe. Haven't needed to scan for some time, but that's what I used.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

umair

Re: simple scan for Carolina?

#1791 Post by umair »

Dromeno wrote:Hi Carolinians,

To disable sound: you may try the following command:

modprobe -r pcspkr

That worked for me in most of the old puppies. Hope this will fix your issue.

s243a

Re: Carolina - 1.3

#1792 Post by s243a »

carolina wrote:Carolina Linux is a fork of the Saluki project. Saluki is a woof-build based on Racy 5.2 with Xfce

Project developers: Geoffrey, elroy, and rg66.

Carolina is a fork of the Saluki project. Saluki is a woof-build based on Racy 5.2 with Xfce. The suggested target hardware are computers less than 6 years old. It should run reasonably fast on older machines and netbooks, but Xfce does need a bit more ram and cpu than the standard ROX/Jwm puppy - probably at least 512MB of ram and 1GHz CPU for decent performance.
So by 6 years old are we talking 2008 or 2011?

By looking at the specs you give I think we're talking 2008.

Geoffrey

Re: Carolina - 1.3

#1793 Post by Geoffrey »

s243a wrote:So by 6 years old are we talking 2008 or 2011?

By looking at the specs you give I think we're talking 2008.
The first post was on the 05 Oct 2012, so probably computers from around 2007 onward would be close.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Pelo

Carolina VIPs still here, i enjoy that..

#1794 Post by Pelo »

Happy that Carolina still at the top. My computer was born 2012. When we use old (not obsolete) Puppies, often helpers have gone to newer ones,
Carolina VIPs still here, i enjoy that..
Nota : for french speaking people, our expert Medor answer all question about Puppies 4.3.1 and 4.3.6. God bless him :!:

greengeek

Re: Carolina VIPs still here, i enjoy that..

#1795 Post by greengeek »

Pelo wrote:H... Puppies 4.3.1 and 4.3.6. :!:
What is puppy 4.3.6?

Fossil

#1796 Post by Fossil »

@greengeek.
Pelo wrote:
H... Puppies 4.3.1 and 4.3.6. Exclamation
What is puppy 4.3.6?
TouTou 436.
http://toutoulinux.free.fr/tuto.php
It's a nice piece of work - unfortunately, the main language is French. @Pelo, before you step in and tell me the language can be changed to English - it cannot; that is, only in part - believe me, I've tried. Sadly, my language skills, minimal as they may be, and 'the pen of my aunt' have now dried up :cry: after many decades of abandonment. :wink: :lol:

Pelo

fossil, don't worry, you tried our french Toutou 4.3.6.

#1797 Post by Pelo »

fossil, don't worry, you tried our french Toutou 4.3.6. that was a great step towards our european Puppies. Congratulations. Sure for Puppy Linux it was easier to enter USA. Language is a border. a wall.
Puppy is a way to practice my english and my spanish... much than to learn Linux :!:
We are loosing our ambassadors,as ASRI, who was able to ask questions on English forum and translate them to his pupils, and teachers too.
Carolina is still used by Medor, our french Linux expert. (i believe)
Me, Pelo, understand quite well written English sentences, so i can use Puppy Linux, even not translated.

ragaman

#1798 Post by ragaman »

Anybody knows where or how I can install the latest Firefox version on Carolina?

Kudos to the developers of this beautiful and highly functional Puppy.

mikeslr

Newest firefox may not run, try Palemoon

#1799 Post by mikeslr »

Hi ragaman,

I'm not sure 8Geee's is the newest firefox. Its only two months old and being the esr version its version numbering differs from the other version. The link to it is here: https://archive.org/download/firefox-45.8.0esr but see his post following it.

Perhaps someone else can find a newer version. However, I'm not sure whether any recent version of firefox will run under Carolina. Webbrowsers look to the operating system for graphic libraries and firefox (all current browsers AFAIK) keep upping their requirement of the minimum/newest graphic libraries required to work at all. The graphic libraries battleshooter provided for Carolina are already two or more years old.

I can only think of three responses to that problem. Use an older browser (with security risks and, increasingly, the inability to properly display webpgages or even access them); use a newer operating system with its newer graphic libraries -- not your desire; or use a specially constructed web-browser which itself includes the necessary graphic libraries. The only web-browser I am aware of which does that is Watchdog's build of Palemoon. You'll find it here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 200#948200

A "light" version of firefox also ran under Carolina. See here and its links, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 772#939772. But it is older than Watchdog's Palemoon. Both Palemoon and Light are firefox "clones", and can use many of firefox's addons. Under Carolina Light required a library for which I provided a pet at the above link. Palemoon may require it as well.

mikesLr

p310don

#1800 Post by p310don »

I use Carolina VG for work. I have just in the past week been getting the warning from Firefox ESR that it will no longer be updated. Chromium works up until version 49.

I downloaded Slimjet and it runs without too much trouble. I had to make a basic script to make it run without sandboxing which was fairly trivial.

http://www.slimjet.com/en/postdl.php?ve ... 2&type=zip

ragaman

Firefox on Carolina

#1801 Post by ragaman »

Thank you, mikeslr and p310don. 8Geee's worked well. No more "Not Updated" prompts popping up.

Pete22

Moving to x64

#1802 Post by Pete22 »

Dear Carolina guys:

I love Carolina, and have used it since it was created.. Thank you for all your work.

I am looking for a good Puppy x64 with Xfce manager. I am hoping to find one that is as
user friendly as Carolina. I used to use Lighthouse x64 but it is no longer being updated.
I also checked Just lighthouse but it looks like it is not being updated either.

What do you guys suggest?

belham2

Re: Moving to x64

#1803 Post by belham2 »

Pete22 wrote:Dear Carolina guys:

I love Carolina, and have used it since it was created.. Thank you for all your work.

I am looking for a good Puppy x64 with Xfce manager. I am hoping to find one that is as
user friendly as Carolina. I used to use Lighthouse x64 but it is no longer being updated.
I also checked Just lighthouse but it looks like it is not being updated either.

What do you guys suggest?

Hey, Pete22,

You sure JL64 isn't being updated anymore? I thought it was.

Anyhow, if you're looking for these things:

1) 64-bit
2) XFCE
3) has to be puppy-based

Then, far as I can see, your only route at present is to download XenialPup64, get it all set up, then download Battleshooter's XFCE pet (look in desktop thread) and install XFCE. There's a few issues with desktop files right now using Battelshooter's pet, otherwise it seems pretty good.

If you're willing to look at something that is not quite puppy-based, but is close in principle and talked about (and actively supported) here on murga (and you want XFCE and 64-bit) then look on the dedicated thread's here for Fred181's DebianDogs. Fred has even got a script now that is so simple my wife does builds, and that is the most massive praise this script can ever get. She's completely given up pup-based OSes because of it. You can download Fred's script to a blank ~6-8GB partition, run it, click on a few answers in the script, choose XFCE as your desktop, and it will build a complete Debian-based XFCE DebianDog that comes in right at 400MB (I know, I've built more than a few of them and different DEs, and it is just wonderful). Then, from that point on, you never have to worry about updating again, as all DebianDogs use "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" from the terminal, and you're system will always have the most up-to-date critical stuff released by Debian itself. It seriously makes puppy look pedestrian and immature when placed side-by-side. But, that said, most of us here are doing our best to also keep puppy alive & thriving, and support it. This seems true even if some of the giant developers of pup yore seem to have gone missing or are, possibly, just permanently MIA on this forum forever. So for XFCE and 64bit, try the xenialpup64 route with Battelshooter's pet. Also, know that Peebee also has some nice 64-bit stuff too--- take a look there too at his threads for LxPup, not sure if the XFCE pet will work in those though, haven't tried it like I have with Xenialpup64.

Best of luck!

Pete22

Moving to x64

#1804 Post by Pete22 »

Thank you belham2 for your response.

I thought that Just-Lighthouse x64 was not being updated because the thread I found did not have any action since 2015.
I will check and see if I find a later thread;. I absolutely loved Lighthouse and used it for years, so I hope you are right.

Thank you for telling me about XenialPup64 and Battleshooter's XFCE pet. I will try it.
I like having more than one puppy loaded. Sometime one does stuff another one doesn't.

The information about Fred181's DebianDogs sounds very interesting. i DO have a few geek genes, but not too many. I will look into this.
Wow making my own system do what I want, without being too geeky, It sounds like a miracle.

I must admit my heart is with Puppy. Windoze hosed my entire system for a third time in one year,
So I went online and asked what was the easiest linux that I could use. I was directed to Puppy Linux 4.31.
I downloaded it and was up on the Internet in 10 minutes. I have never looked back.

I tried LxPup a long time ago. It was beautiful. Only thing I didn't like was no Xfce.
With Battleshooter's XFCE pet; would be willing to give it another try.

Thanks for you wonderful advice.

Pete22

ally

#1805 Post by ally »