Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#241 Post by Sage »

The 754 nV machine was fine, but the 754 with SiS Mirage video (hidden behind the heap during previous testing) proved its usual obdurate self. Apart from the feint (faint?!) brown boot-up text issue, it black-screened from the start. By adding vga=normal to the boot code, it was possible to view the booting text (white on black) as expected, but switching to X, returned to a stubborn blackness which none of the regular expedients could overcome. Nothing, nada - boot codes, blind-key guesswork, pure darkness persists. If I can't see anything I can't switch to a SiS driver, if it's there.
There may be a fix for this well-known feature of SiS misbehaviour but think it needs the magic touch from Mssrs El & G. Sorry, can't remember whether Saluki solved this or one of the other Puppies?
[Elroy: might we know your (approx) location in your visible profile, please? This is immensely helpful in planning a busy round of commitments, as it indicates when we might expect your next session and pearls of wisdom.]

smokey01

#242 Post by smokey01 »

Guys, just tried 002 and couldn't break it. Good job.

elroy

#243 Post by elroy »

Musiscore 1.0 has been added to the repository. A WYSWYG score editor with playback.

elroy

#244 Post by elroy »

anikin wrote:If a person can't run his system with a pae kernel, give him a non-pae version. But don't stop there - downgrade his kernel. Make the sucker look cheaper. Something doesn't add-up here. Elroy, no hard feelings, just trying to understand the logic.
Hmmm. The logic is choice. These are not officially a part of Carolina; you may have come to know that before posting if you had taken the time to read up on the subject. They were made with the sole purpose of giving users more choices. I could easily have stuck solely to the PAE 3.2.13 kernel and said "screw you" to those that can't run PAE. But some of our users expressed the desire to be able to try Carolina with a non-PAE kernel, so I had to use what was available to me at the time.

As far as "no hard feelings", when you submit a post that is as scathing as your post was, without knowing the details before posting it in such a manner, how do you expect there to be "no hard feelings"? You can't have it both ways. I'm not getting paid to do this. You may want to temper your future outbursts to be more reasonable until you know for sure what the details are about which you are posting. Ideally this forum is for people to help each other; you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But to do an all out body slam and then say, "but...hey, no hard feelings" without knowing the concepts behind the subject matter, that is in itself inexcusable and downright rude.

If you want to ask a question because you don't understand something, that's one thing. But to be a rube about it is an entirely different thing all together.

anikin

#245 Post by anikin »

Elroy,
I didn't mean to offend you, and I am really sorry if the wording of my post suggests otherwise. It was a failed attempt to add some irony to the question. I have nothing but respect and admiration for you personally and all the other devs as well as members of this great forum. Now I feel confused and ashamed.

yerc1

Re: Carolina

#246 Post by yerc1 »

Billtoo wrote:I've added wbar + tint2 to your EXCELLENT carolina 002, the xfce panel
is hidden down the left side of the desktop.
Nice setup Billtoo !
Could you post your tint2rc here, by any chance?

Billtoo

#247 Post by Billtoo »

yerc1 wrote:
Billtoo wrote:I've added wbar + tint2 to your EXCELLENT carolina 002, the xfce panel
is hidden down the left side of the desktop.
Nice setup Billtoo !
Could you post your tint2rc here, by any chance?
# Tint2 config file
# Generated by tintwizard (http://code.google.com/p/tintwizard/)
# For information on manually configuring tint2 see http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure

# Background definitions
# ID 1
rounded = 7
border_width = 2
background_color = #000000 60
border_color = #FFFFFF 16

# ID 2
rounded = 5
border_width = 0
background_color = #FFFFFF 40
border_color = #FFFFFF 48

# ID 3
rounded = 5
border_width = 0
background_color = #FFFFFF 16
border_color = #FFFFFF 68

# Panel
panel_monitor = all
panel_position = bottom center horizontal
panel_size = 94% 30
panel_margin = 0 0
panel_padding = 7 0 7
panel_dock = 0
wm_menu = 0
panel_layer = top
panel_background_id = 1

# Panel Autohide
autohide = 0
autohide_show_timeout = 0.3
autohide_hide_timeout = 2
autohide_height = 2
strut_policy = follow_size

# Taskbar
taskbar_mode = single_desktop
taskbar_padding = 2 3 2
taskbar_background_id = 0
taskbar_active_background_id = 0

# Tasks
urgent_nb_of_blink = 8
task_icon = 1
task_text = 1
task_centered = 1
task_maximum_size = 140 35
task_padding = 6 2
task_background_id = 3
task_active_background_id = 2
task_urgent_background_id = 2
task_iconified_background_id = 3

# Task Icons
task_icon_asb = 70 0 0
task_active_icon_asb = 100 0 0
task_urgent_icon_asb = 100 0 0
task_iconified_icon_asb = 70 0 0

# Fonts
task_font = sans 7
task_font_color = #FFFFFF 68
task_active_font_color = #FFFFFF 83
task_urgent_font_color = #FFFFFF 83
task_iconified_font_color = #FFFFFF 68
font_shadow = 0

# System Tray
systray = 1
systray_padding = 0 4 5
systray_sort = ascending
systray_background_id = 0
systray_icon_size = 16
systray_icon_asb = 70 0 0

# Clock
time1_format = %H:%M
time1_font = sans 8
time2_format = %A %d %B
time2_font = sans 6
clock_font_color = #FFFFFF 74
clock_padding = 1 0
clock_background_id = 0
clock_rclick_command = orage

# Tooltips
tooltip = 0
tooltip_padding = 2 2
tooltip_show_timeout = 0.7
tooltip_hide_timeout = 0.3
tooltip_background_id = 1
tooltip_font = sans 10
tooltip_font_color = #000000 80

# Mouse
mouse_middle = none
mouse_right = close
mouse_scroll_up = toggle
mouse_scroll_down = iconify

# Battery
battery = 0
battery_low_status = 10
battery_low_cmd = notify-send "battery low"
battery_hide = 98
bat1_font = sans 8
bat2_font = sans 6
battery_font_color = #FFFFFF 74
battery_padding = 1 0
battery_background_id = 0

# End of config

EDIT: I put carolina 002 on another pc, using a different tint2 theme.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
(119.68 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 22 Oct 2012, 02:42, edited 2 times in total.

Jasper

#248 Post by Jasper »

Sage wrote (excerpt from a recent post above):

Elroy: might we know your (approx) location in your visible profile, please? This is immensely helpful in planning a busy round of commitments, as it indicates when we might expect your next session and pearls of wisdom.

Today Sage ignores the stated aims of 01micko and Geoffrey & elroy - see

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 715#659715

Marv

shutdown delay

#249 Post by Marv »

I have a long delay in shutdown in Carolina (non-PAE lite) that is not present on the same machine in Saluki 023. I have narrowed it down to the time to execute probepart(used in rc.shutdown). Same CF card, same computer, booted into Saluki 023 and then Carolina002 using Grub4dos.

Time to execute probepart under Saluki 023 roughly 2.5 seconds.
Time to execute probepart under Carolina roughly 22 to 25 seconds.

Identical results for disk partitions in both cases. Same CPU governors etc. same version of probepart, same rc.shutdown identical hardware etc.

Could someone with both systems on one machine run probepart in a terminal on both systems and tell me I'm nuts?

For completeness, the CF card is in an IDE adaptor, shows roughly 48 Mb/s read speeds, is 16Gb with a 4Gb vfat boot part and a 12Gb Ext2 data and working partition.

I just got it narrowed down and will check on a similar laptop with identical installs but on a HD and have an older AMD based machine but it's in the dungeon and not cosy til the woodstove is fired up.

Thanks
Last edited by Marv on Mon 22 Oct 2012, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Geoffrey

#250 Post by Geoffrey »

Sage wrote:The 754 nV machine was fine, but the 754 with SiS Mirage video (hidden behind the heap during previous testing) proved its usual obdurate self. Apart from the feint (faint?!) brown boot-up text issue, it black-screened from the start. By adding vga=normal to the boot code, it was possible to view the booting text (white on black) as expected, but switching to X, returned to a stubborn blackness which none of the regular expedients could overcome. Nothing, nada - boot codes, blind-key guesswork, pure darkness persists. If I can't see anything I can't switch to a SiS driver, if it's there.
There may be a fix for this well-known feature of SiS misbehaviour but think it needs the magic touch from Mssrs El & G. Sorry, can't remember whether Saluki solved this or one of the other Puppies?
[Elroy: might we know your (approx) location in your visible profile, please? This is immensely helpful in planning a busy round of commitments, as it indicates when we might expect your next session and pearls of wisdom.]
Does this help.
Sage wrote:More grief with SiS chipsets. Now getting picture at wrong res. at boot-up, but the CLI is black screen, whether nox or CTRL-ALt-BKSPCE. Everything else, old & new - no issues. There is an answer to the SiS conundrum, not know to YT; probably ask micko, PD, pem. or shin.
jemimah wrote:
Sage wrote:More grief with SiS chipsets. Now getting picture at wrong res. at boot-up, but the CLI is black screen, whether nox or CTRL-ALt-BKSPCE. Everything else, old & new - no issues. There is an answer to the SiS conundrum, not know to YT; probably ask micko, PD, pem. or shin.
You can try booting without vga=0x311 and see if that sorts it.
Sage wrote:
try booting without vga=0x311
Thanks for speedy response. Afraid not familiar with cheat code format to exclude a video mode? Care to elucidate, please?
jemimah wrote:
Sage wrote:
try booting without vga=0x311
Thanks for speedy response. Afraid not familiar with cheat code format to exclude a video mode? Care to elucidate, please?
If it's there, just delete it.
Sage wrote:Bingo! Set pfix=ram vga=normal screen=800x600. Was able to CTL-ALT-BKSPCE into a readable mode and set correct xorgwizard/Probe to 1440x900/1024x768. Suppose a cheat code of vga=771 would also do the biz. That should also work on older monitors that perhaps less fortunate folks still use. Will pop down to the garage to check it on an old 14" crt with a PCI Trident card when the weather warms up! Some of this years' HW can be a bit troublesome!
Thanks a bunch.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Sage

#251 Post by Sage »

Geoffrey: you're a wizz! Many thanks for reminding me. So much water under the bridge added to ageing grey matter conspired to forget the prior art. Will check later this morning and report back.
Much later: that trick still works which is nice because Carolina on that machine also enables connection with the Cohiba (p054g) dongle that's been causing so much grief for several correspondents.
Last edited by Sage on Mon 22 Oct 2012, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#252 Post by Sage »

Geoff & el: tried to push the boundary using the non-PAE light version on a fairly old board (that happened to be on the bench for other reasons), one that retained the very last ISA slot before they were pensioned off. As explained elsewhere, the ISA slot is excellent for running sound cards with on-board audio amplifiers. I was surprised to discover that the legacy option in the ALSA wizard is still there in Carolina along with the sb16, plus ESS, CL, and other ancient devices. The setup proceeded normally but it wasn't a complete surprise to get an error message about <aplay main:608>, and line 1186 is mentioned in one message that briefly flashed across the screen and, of course, no test sound, although the driver appeared to be loaded.
No big deal, but just a question as to whether with so much capability in the kernel for ISA sound cards still present and ALSA willing and able to handle them is there something simple in your masterpiece that can easily be switched on to complete the exercise? Just canvassing your expert opinion, not expecting you to exert any effort on this one.

Later: more info. seems that module sound-cs4232 is missing. Similar things happening in Racy and Slacko, in which 01mick provides some cryptic commentary. Able to display more detail from Wary which also has same issue:
usr/sbin/alsaconf line 723: 25572 Aborted
nohup /root/Startup/retrovol_tray >/dev/null

All cyrillic to me and you may not be interested as far as Carolina is concerned, but maybe all this makes sense to some folks and may solve issues for other developers/other distros?

elroy

Re: shutdown delay

#253 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:I have a long delay in shutdown in Carolina (non-PAE lite) that is not present on the same machine in Saluki 023. I have narrowed it down to the time to execute probepart(used in rc.shutdown). Same CF card, same computer, booted into Saluki 023 and then Carolina002 using Grub4dos.
I've experienced this with my Acer aspire One, although intermittently. I thought it was an anomaly at the time because no one else reported it, and that particular machine hasn't been reliable regardless which operating system is on it. But now that you've confirmed this, I know that to not be the case. I'll do some more testing and hopefully find a workaround. Thanks for the heads-up, Marv.

Marv

Shutdown delay

#254 Post by Marv »

Elroy,

I think the key might be here:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02885

I'm chasing.....

Edited to avoid proliferation. What is happening, both on Saluki 023 and on Carolina, is that having no CD in drive SR0 returns FS unknown from guessfiletupe in probepart and forces blkid to run. The mystery remaining is why in Saluki, it runs relatively fast and in Carolina (I only can test non-PAE lite) very slowly. Both are calling symlinks to busybox in /sbin, same date busybox, same calling syntax.

In either OS, having a CD in SR0 and spun up returns the iso FS from guesstype and blkid doesn't run. Guessfiletype is very fast.

continuing chasing..
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Marv

shutdown delay

#255 Post by Marv »

Elroy,

I wrote my way around it. Added a fast test for an empty CD tray at the beginning of partprobe and filled a boolean variable CDPRESENT. Then added that to the test to see if blkid needs to run. Speeds up the shutdown, also the startup of gparted. I need to test it further but seems ok so far.

Simple patch but still yet another patch and they all to often have unseen consequences. If you want, I can PM it to you with the lines I modded tagged with Marvmod.

elroy

Re: shutdown delay

#256 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Elroy,

I wrote my way around it. Added a fast test for an empty CD tray at the beginning of partprobe and filled a boolean variable CDPRESENT. Then added that to the test to see if blkid needs to run. Speeds up the shutdown, also the startup of gparted. I need to test it further but seems ok so far.

Simple patch but still yet another patch and they all to often have unseen consequences. If you want, I can PM it to you with the lines I modded tagged with Marvmod.
That would be great, Marv. Looking forward to checking it out.

Marv

shutdown delay

#257 Post by Marv »

Elroy,

Oops, I already thought of a way it could break probepart. If guessfstype fails for another reason, as I have written the blkid test, the absence of a cd could block a needed albeit very slow blkid. Let me walk away from it for a bit and see if I can incorporate it so it is more cd specific. If I can't see how to make it more specific, I'll PM it to you as it stands.

Edited... I've sent you what I think is a slightly more robust version. Certainly perks up pmount on my machine with no cd in also.
Last edited by Marv on Tue 23 Oct 2012, 15:21, edited 3 times in total.

einar

Finaly Carolina Testing

#258 Post by einar »

Hello Team Elroy & Geoffrey

First of a huge thanks for Carolina a step forward in Salukis memory.

I did not have time to test 001 but today i have permanently installed it on a samsung 24" screen with a integrated computer. Amd / ati setup. I booted up nicely. I did have some problems with the sound not working. PCM sound was not listed in the mixer. No idea how i got it to work so im happy that is playing nice for now :)

I followed Elroys guide to installing ATi drivers and yes and i read everything. Nice and noob frendly. Perhaps adding a quick guide where you just add the important steps ?

the questions so far :

1: The Acpi Tool was enabled as default and gave me powersave mode every time i booted up. Anoying so i disabled Acpid. Now when ACpid is disabled does that mean that my computer runs on max cpu feq / speed ?

2: As default the icon theme Elegant-awoken is nice enough but, when activated you cannot choose another theme from desktop icon switcher.
can something be done about that ?

3: is there a program that can monitor cpu / hd temps ?

and yes you guys are awesome :)

best regards

Einar

Ray MK

#259 Post by Ray MK »

3: is there a program that can monitor cpu / hd temps ?

Yes - gatotray seems to work well - it's in the Saluki repo.

HTH - regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

yerc1

#260 Post by yerc1 »

Billtoo wrote: # Tint2 config file
# Generated by tintwizard (http://code.google.com/p/tintwizard/)
# For information on manually configuring tint2 see http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure

# Background definitions . . .

EDIT: I put carolina 002 on another pc, using a different tint2 theme.
Hi Billtoo,

Your second wbar + tint2 theme is as gorgeous as the first!

Thanks for sharing the config file.
It is almost identical to what I have which displays the panel as one piece, while your first screenshot shows the panel in seemingly 5 parts.
How did you manage to do that?

Not in front of my linux pc atm.