Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
elroy

#376 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:
Billtoo wrote:
jpup wrote:I think I really need to get vlc working on carolina... or a better video player...

umplayer is ok... but H264 is giving my CPU a really good workout :lol:

by the way... I've noticed I keep getting logged out of the forum
Here's a link to a VLC-2.0.4 pet that I made, it may or may not work for you but worth a try I guess :)

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-79088f3a.html
wow! thanks Billtoo :D

I'm gonna try your work :D

any tips on getting hardware acceleration working on an ATI?

umplayer seems to handle avc1 and mkv quite well

but plain H264 is just a pain especially with higher resolutions

thanks again :D
There's a tutorial on the first post of this thread on how to install the ATI driver on Carolina in 'How-to's, Tutorials, and Help'. You mentioned that you had success doing so in 002. You could always install it on a new savefile on 002, mount the savefile and then copy the files and make a pet out of it, too. And if you can't get vlc working, you could also try the new version of parole from the repo. I compiled that a few days ago. Also, make sure you've installed all of the gst pets, gst-ffmpeg, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad, and gst-plugins-ugly.

okokoook

#377 Post by okokoook »

yerc1 wrote:
I requested and elroy was very kind to do a pet for ENE usb card driver in 002. That is now part of 003 kernel (i think) since Carolina recognises when sd card is inserted and mounts it.
just curious, where can we get the ENE usb card driver pet? i did not see such pet in the repo. thanks

michael

yerc1

#378 Post by yerc1 »

okokoook wrote:
yerc1 wrote: I requested and elroy was very kind to do a pet for ENE usb card driver in 002. That is now part of 003 kernel (i think) since Carolina recognises when sd card is inserted and mounts it.
just curious, where can we get the ENE usb card driver pet? i did not see such pet in the repo. thanks
it's in http://smokey01.com/carolina/elroy/

cheers

yerc1

#379 Post by yerc1 »

elroy wrote:
yerc1 wrote:I will continue using 003 side by side with 002 and post my observations here.
Thanks yerc1. Looking forward to hearing about your observations.
I found a couple of issues which I can live with, but need attention as I want others to see Carolina as the perfect OS.

1 - Fonts
In 002, fonts are uniform throughout no matter what hinting option is in place. This changed in 003. In the attached 003 screenshots of Thunar with full hinting and without hinting, note how the menu and tab fonts look different from the side pane and file name fonts when full hinting is applied.

2- Image/ photo icons in Thunar thumbnail view.
In 002, Thunar shows the preview of an image/photo as the file icon. 003 shows a generic icon only. Unchecking then putting the check back on "Show thumbnails" in Thunar preferences has no effect.

These are simply cosmetic issues; Carolina remains my favorite OS.

Thanks to elroy, Geoffrey and everyone involved!
Attachments
Thunar_no hinting.png
(194.25 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
Thunar_full hinting.png
(180.33 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

linux

#380 Post by linux »

elroy wrote: There's a tutorial on the first post of this thread on how to install the ATI driver on Carolina in 'How-to's, Tutorials, and Help'. You mentioned that you had success doing so in 002. You could always install it on a new savefile on 002, mount the savefile and then copy the files and make a pet out of it, too. And if you can't get vlc working, you could also try the new version of parole from the repo. I compiled that a few days ago. Also, make sure you've installed all of the gst pets, gst-ffmpeg, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad, and gst-plugins-ugly.
I can not get VLC player or UMplayer to work on 003. Both of these worked fine with 002. I have tried installing the gst-plugins but it is still not working.

I just wondered if I am missing something

Thanks again for your patience

wsamh

#381 Post by wsamh »

How do I get the notification sounds to work on skype?

Geoffrey

#382 Post by Geoffrey »

wsamh wrote:How do I get the notification sounds to work on skype?
They didn't work when I tested them, I had to configure them in the options and run the test on each item and they now work.
Attachments
Screenshot-4.png
(52 KiB) Downloaded 1046 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

wsamh

#383 Post by wsamh »

where it says "play sound file". next to the sound file, it has a caution sign with "The file is not accessible" while hovering over the caution sign.

Geoffrey

#384 Post by Geoffrey »

wsamh wrote:where it says "play sound file". next to the sound file, it has a caution sign with "The file is not accessible" while hovering over the caution sign.
You need to navigate to where the sound files are and select them /opt/skype/sounds

Though I'm sure I never had to do this previously :?
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(108.11 KiB) Downloaded 1008 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

okokoook

#385 Post by okokoook »

yerc1 wrote:
okokoook wrote:
yerc1 wrote: I requested and elroy was very kind to do a pet for ENE usb card driver in 002. That is now part of 003 kernel (i think) since Carolina recognises when sd card is inserted and mounts it.
it's in http://smokey01.com/carolina/elroy/

cheers
thanks i gradually figured that out it was the ene -lina pet. now let us carolina

wsamh

#386 Post by wsamh »

thanks. I kind of figured I had to look for the sounds.

Retro Gamer

#387 Post by Retro Gamer »

Just to note when i tried the mumble pet in my Saluki 23 I also had no sound from it, nor did it seem to pickup my mic when setting up mumble after install. Even after those to major issues I still connected to a server out of curiosity and the program baulked about codecs mismatching(or non-existent) which could cause no sound sometimes in other situations. It could be nothing but I thought to post it just in case. The actual message was:

Code: Select all

[05:32:07] Welcome to Mumble.
[05:34:15] Connecting to server mumble.axxim.net.
[05:34:22] Connected.
[05:34:22] Unable to find matching CELT codecs with other clients. You will not be able to talk to all users.
[05:34:22] Welcome message: 
Welcome to our new Mumble server! 
Enjoy your stay.
I'm trying mumble as a friend suggested it and used it a lot so the codec message might be a common one I wouldn't know.
elroy wrote:..If you're not getting sound, I guess it's back to the drawing board. Making mumble is a bugger 'n a half. Thanks for the update.
I usually use the same Saluki thumb drive with both my PC & laptop. I have tried Carolina 3, but it will not boot past the 5 second startup screen on the same Amd dual-core based PC with Nvidia 550TI that boots Saluki 23 just fine off a usb flash drive or internal hard drive. It does boot up and seem to work ok on my HP G50 laptop running dual-core Pentium and Intel graphics. One of 2 only "weird" issues that might(?) be input/touch pad related(?) I had a few times was when installing pets from the package manager I click on the pet I want to install from the list and click on the popup dialogs that follow. Once I click to close the last confirmation dialog after the pet is installed the "Do you want to install" message pops up like I just clicked to install the same pet again, but didn't. I could click the [x] or cancel to close it but the dialog just came right back over and over again. At the same time if I moved my mouse cursor over any part of the title bar of the package manager window itself the cursor would turn into the horizontal resize cursor <-> which isn't normal behavior. I had to eventually force close the package manager to make it stop.

I love the effort being put into this, but the bigger version is not the best OOTB I've had and didn't expect it to be YET since its a WIP. Hell I didn't try Saluki until version 18. Right now I need stuff to "just work", but I hope to find time to experiment with my favored lighter version. You've done a lot of work on this and Saluki. Thank you.

Updated November 23:

I finally managed to get Carolina working with my desktop by setting "nomodeset" at Carolina boot time. Seems to work just as great as Saluki for me. I've yet to tackle installing the Nvidia drivers so I can have dual screens back but it should be as easy as it is in Saluki I hope. Thanks again.
Last edited by Retro Gamer on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

einar

Re: Carolina

#388 Post by einar »

Billtoo wrote:
einar wrote: Does your iMac have EFI bios ?
It's an approx 4 year old aluminum imac.
i have problems trying to run any puppy linux on a macbook pro.
It uses the EFI bios.

How did you get to test / install Carolina ? USB or CD ? The macbook pros CD/DVD rom is defective and i need to use usb flash. and for that to work i needs a folder and som files named EFI on the flash drive. I managed to install ubuntu once. but lost the flash drive and i cant find the how to. And anyways i will mutch rather install Carolina than Ubuntu.

linux

#389 Post by linux »

einar wrote:How did you get to test / install Carolina ? USB or CD ? The macbook pros CD/DVD rom is defective and i need to use usb flash. and for that to work i needs a folder and som files named EFI on the flash drive. I managed to install ubuntu once. but lost the flash drive and i cant find the how to. And anyways i will mutch rather install Carolina than Ubuntu.
I used rEFIt to run Carolina on a MacBook. I hopes this helps with your problem.

einar

#390 Post by einar »

linux wrote:
einar wrote:How did you get to test / install Carolina ? USB or CD ? The macbook pros CD/DVD rom is defective and i need to use usb flash. and for that to work i needs a folder and som files named EFI on the flash drive. I managed to install ubuntu once. but lost the flash drive and i cant find the how to. And anyways i will mutch rather install Carolina than Ubuntu.
I used rEFIt to run Carolina on a MacBook. I hopes this helps with your problem.
Ive got reeit installed, and now i am confused. I get it up, but how can i boot a linux disto on it. could you pm me ? ive tink im on to somthing useing elilo but im very green on this subjekt.

thanks

Einar

Billtoo

Carolina

#391 Post by Billtoo »

Carolina, version 003 on Thu 15 Nov 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation Device 1082 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nvidia: vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (513x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.64
Direct Rendering Yes

I installed carolina 03 on a desktop pc, installed the proprietary
nvidia driver, and connected a second monitor to it.
Each can have it's own panel,wallpaper,and items on the panel.

It's working well.
Attachments
2monitors.JPG
(79.95 KiB) Downloaded 1517 times

elroy

#392 Post by elroy »

Billtoo wrote:I installed carolina 03 on a desktop pc, installed the proprietary
nvidia driver, and connected a second monitor to it.
Each can have it's own panel,wallpaper,and items on the panel.

It's working well.
That's too cool, Billtoo.

charlie6

python: import gtk error

#393 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
got a try using the python2.7.2-i486.pet from Carolina pets repo on dpup exprimo 3.6.2:
even wxPython is running fine.
Got this
# python
Python 2.7.2 (default, Feb 12 2012, 18:36:30)
[GCC 4.3.4] on linux3
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import cairo
>>> import glib
>>> import gtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/_gtk.so: undefined symbol: gtk_combo_box_set_entry_text_column
>>>
how to fix the import gtk error ? any idea?
thanks for any reply
Charlie

linux

#394 Post by linux »

einar wrote:
linux wrote:
Ive got reeit installed, and now i am confused. I get it up, but how can i boot a linux disto on it. could you pm me ? ive tink im on to somthing useing elilo but im very green on this subjekt.

thanks

Einar
It might be worth trying a program called rufus (Windows) to transfer your Carolina iso to USB stick. It works well and fast. Then when you boot the Mac with rEFIt Carolina will boot from the Penguin (Linux) Icon.

I know nothing about Macs & and I am only just getting into Linux but this method works fine every time on my brothers MacBookPro.

I hope this helps

cthisbear

#395 Post by cthisbear »