Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 04:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 33 of 95 [1424 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, ..., 93, 94, 95 Next
okokoook

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 01:15    Post subject:  

elroy wrote:
okokoook wrote:
glad to see carolina 004 is out. i have been a big fan of saluki and carolina for a while. and i am doing localization of carolina in Chinese to let carolina be more friendly to some of my friends. i know there is a thing called "pup-volume-monitor" which offers convenient function of managing and mounting drives. i just wonder could anyone be kind enough to spend some time explaining the concept of how to let pup-volume-monitor autostart at startup and be able to monitor any prompt changes to drives such as a new usb stickdrive plugged in. i know this may not be relevant to this thread, but i really want to figure out how this functions. i hereby do not mean to make any offense against any carolina developers and users. i will really appreciate any help on this. please forgive my poor English if anything i wrote caused any misunderstanding. thank you

regards
michael

The pup-volume-monitor is started automatically on both Saluki and Carolina by default. It does this with a custom volume-monitor script located in the /etc/init.d directory.

You can find a lot more information about the pup-volume-monitor, including its' source code, from here. akash_rawal is the author of the software. He gives a pretty good description and is good about answering questions.

Good luck in your efforts to localize carolina.

thank you so much for the reply.i will go to that thread and ask akash_rawal about my concerns. i am sorry for any bother. as a loyal fan of carolina, i am looking forward to further carolina release. thank you and all the carolina developers and those who put in effort improving carolina. thank you

best regards

michael
Bligh

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 07:13    Post subject:  

At shutdown, 004 I cannot save to hdd, only to multi-session cd. Is this intentional ?
Cheers
Draker

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 09:04    Post subject: Translate  

okokoook wrote:
elroy wrote:
okokoook wrote:
glad to see carolina 004 is out. i have been a big fan of saluki and carolina for a while. and i am doing localization of carolina in Chinese to let carolina be more friendly to some of my friends. i know there is a thing called "pup-volume-monitor" which offers convenient function of managing and mounting drives. i just wonder could anyone be kind enough to spend some time explaining the concept of how to let pup-volume-monitor autostart at startup and be able to monitor any prompt changes to drives such as a new usb stickdrive plugged in. i know this may not be relevant to this thread, but i really want to figure out how this functions. i hereby do not mean to make any offense against any carolina developers and users. i will really appreciate any help on this. please forgive my poor English if anything i wrote caused any misunderstanding. thank you

regards
michael

The pup-volume-monitor is started automatically on both Saluki and Carolina by default. It does this with a custom volume-monitor script located in the /etc/init.d directory.

You can find a lot more information about the pup-volume-monitor, including its' source code, from here. akash_rawal is the author of the software. He gives a pretty good description and is good about answering questions.

thank you so much for the reply.i will go to that thread and ask akash_rawal about my concerns. i am sorry for any bother. as a loyal fan of carolina, i am looking forward to further carolina release. thank you and all the carolina developers and those who put in effort improving carolina. thank you

best regards

michael

Hello All.

I'm new to puppy, tried some puppy's and ended up at Carolina, Great Work!
Rightnow i'll give a try into translating Carolina for my native language, Dutch.
As far i'm aware, Carolina is at the base a Offspring to Wary5xx, therefore Momanager should be present? Maybe i'm wrong and missed something?

Thx for all your time and effort!

Regards, Berry.
Pete22

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 18:37    Post subject: Gcompris 12.01 and Carolina 004  

This version is for made for lucid.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77215n

I wondered if it would work in Carolina. Did not want to try without asking.

Carolina 004 is very nice. It is running cooler than 003 on my sisters Asus laplop.

Also glad the Sensors Plugin is working now.

Pete
elroy

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 23:45    Post subject: Re: Gcompris 12.01 and Carolina 004  

Pete22 wrote:
This version is for made for lucid.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77215n

I wondered if it would work in Carolina. Did not want to try without asking.

Carolina 004 is very nice. It is running cooler than 003 on my sisters Asus laplop.

Also glad the Sensors Plugin is working now.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I installed the GCompris-12.01.pet and it ran flawlessly with the following caveat - it wiped out the majority of the icons in the main menu (see image below). But the program itself ran with no issues at all.

8-bit

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 03:28    Post subject:  

The links for the SFS files and checksum files give a 404 error on the download site.
The Pet package does not get past the robot check and also gives a link hijack error in Seamonkey.
Are there alternative sites for those downloads?
elroy

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 03:30    Post subject: Re: Translate  

Draker wrote:
okokoook wrote:
elroy wrote:
okokoook wrote:

regards
michael

best regards

michael

Hello All.

I'm new to puppy, tried some puppy's and ended up at Carolina, Great Work!
Rightnow i'll give a try into translating Carolina for my native language, Dutch.
As far i'm aware, Carolina is at the base a Offspring to Wary5xx, therefore Momanager should be present? Maybe i'm wrong and missed something?

Thx for all your time and effort!

Regards, Berry.

Yes, Carolina is derived from the version you speak of, but unfortunately it does not contain Momanager.
elroy

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 03:33    Post subject:  

8-bit wrote:
The links for the SFS files and checksum files give a 404 error on the download site.
The Pet package does not get past the robot check and also gives a link hijack error in Seamonkey.
Are there alternative sites for those downloads?

That's odd. Using both the ppm and Firefox, I get no such errors. The pets/sfs files are hosted on smokey01 - http://smokey01.com/carolina/.
8-bit

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 04:20    Post subject:  

Sorry if my statement was confusing.
I was trying to follow the links in the post by Pete22 to get the SFS and Pet files that post indirectly links to.
I guess I am just a bit bored and wanted to get a version of Puppy working with Compiz to show off to some people that so called low spec computers can indeed do fancy graphics on the desktop whereas Every version of MS Winblows keeps saying the hardware is not good enough for that.
At one time, I had Slacko 5.3.1 set up for show. But I made the mistake of updating the files to Slacko 5.3.3 which in turn updated the slackosave and no more working comp-fusion for me.
Bligh

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 05:39    Post subject:  

Carolina does not save on shutdown. The only option I saw was save to multisession cd. I burned a multisession cd, booted, made lots of changes. shutdown, went through the save process. no save file was created. I lost all the changes I made. Booting from this cd takes a long time.
Cheers
Pete22

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 14:58    Post subject: Bligh - no save file  

I had that problem with a bad download on 004.
Check the iso's md5 to see if that might be the cause of your problem.

Pete
Bligh

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 15:09    Post subject:  

md5 is correct. all cd's boot (slowly) but seem to run ok just no save.
multisession cd checks partly used rewritable.
Cheers
linux

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 08:45    Post subject:  

004 Looks nice. It is working well on my setup.

Keep up the great work. Carolina is improving all the time....
rg66

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec 2012, 07:19    Post subject: puppy4kids  

I made a comp for the kids and decided to start them on Carolina-004 instead of XP. Asus P4S533-MX, P4 2.66 Ghz, 748 MB RAM, 20GB HD and frugal install with a save file.

Stripped out a bunch of apps, moved a lot of start menu categories to control panel so they wont screw it up too much, and added GCompris, Tuxmath, Tuxpaint, Tuxtype and a bunch of games all running from SFS.

System runs pretty good and will hopefully keep them off of my comps!

If anyone knows of some more kids apps please let me know.

Also if someone knows how to get SFS's to load without a save file I would really appreciate it. Then it would be bullet proof!
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   51.34 KB
 Viewed   552 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

Sage

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec 2012, 08:09    Post subject:  

No kids machine is complete without Tuxpuck and Tuxracer (also been re-named several times.). Sometimes the oldest are the best.
Puzzled as to why you are running frugal with that spec and deployment? Would've thought FULL would be more suitable when the purpose is fixed? Adding .sfs s and later calls to increase savefiles, load alternative ditto, etc just makes life too complicated and potentially hazardous? Old 20Gb HDs are two-a-penny, so swapping them over in a caddy is quicker and trouble-free. What say you?
Page 33 of 95 [1424 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, ..., 93, 94, 95 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: