Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jpup

Carolina 005 MERRY CHRISTMAS

#541 Post by jpup »

Wow! Carolina 005 is out :)

Thanks Elroy and Geoffrey... merry christmas to you guys, and merry christmas to Jemimah too, and to everyone :)

I packaged virtualbox version 4.2.4 r81684 for the 3.2.13 kernel
It doesn't require you to load the kernel sources/devx
It includes the guest additions ISO and preloaded extension pack.

virtualbox_4.2.4_r81684_Carolina_3.2.13-ski.sfs

virtualbox_4.2.4_r81684_Carolina_3.2.13-ski.sfs-md5.text

I also updated my AMD catalyst drivers for the AMD E series APU

AMD_Catalyst_12_10_AMD_E_Series_APU_carolina_3_2_13_ski.jpup.pet

AMD_Catalyst_12_10_AMD_E_Series_APU_carolina_3_2_13_ski.jpup.pet-md5.text

Thanks and Happy Holidays :)

here's a carolina christmas wallpaper for anyone who wants it
it has a transparent background so it will follow your desktop color

Pete22

Lina 005 md5

#542 Post by Pete22 »

A new version. Wonderful.

I've downloaded lina 005 twice and the md5 does not match the text.

I get b28313637de62319e6f35bc004aa11da,

Do I still have a problem?

Pete

Pete22

lina 005

#543 Post by Pete22 »

My lina 005 is not loading the zdrive. That's why the md5 does not match.

Elroy: would you check the download to see if it uploaded correctly?
If so, I will try downloading it again.

Thanks for the Christmas present!

Pete

elroy

#544 Post by elroy »

Notice:

The ISO and .delta files for Carolina-005 have been re-uploaded as of
Thursday, December 20, 2012 @ 6:27 PM (UTC/GMT). If you've downloaded an ISO or .delta file prior to that time, please re-download at the very least the new .delta file and create a fresh ISO from it to ensure that your initial download was not corrupt.

mikeslr

Explanation and more change kernel questions

#545 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Elroy & JamesC,

I wasn't really MIA. Just lurking in the shadows with nothing significant to add. And mostly playing with the precises. But I was trying to put together a minimal (for internet cafe only) OS for a Thinkpad R51 –basically the same specs as my T42-- and so naturally thought of lina-lite. Unfortunately –despite my urging against it-- the person wanted to use google-chrome (from Saluki), and it wouldn't run complaining of missing libs. So I figured I'd start with Carolina –in which google-chrome12 ran fine-- and build an adrive containing only those apps whose functions I wasn't sure could be eliminated and those I wanted to include. It was built on my Quad-core, run superbly, but transporting it to my T42 reminded me that Carolina used a PAE-enabled kernel. After your response reminding me that lina-lite didn't use a PAE-enabled kernel, it was a simple job just to substitute the adrive I built in Carolina for lina-lite's default adrive.

But now that I'm again interested in how to change kernels, your responses still have me confused. You've both referred me to either kernel pets or a kernel sfs. How do the relate to Custom Builder? or Don't they? How are they employed? That is, what steps does one take using them to change kernel?

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

elroy

Re: Explanation and more change kernel questions

#546 Post by elroy »

mikeslr wrote: But now that I'm again interested in how to change kernels, your responses still have me confused. You've both referred me to either kernel pets or a kernel sfs. How do the relate to Custom Builder? or Don't they? How are they employed? That is, what steps does one take using them to change kernel?
You can navigate to where you have locally saved a kernel pet when the custom-builder asks if you'd like to use a different kernel (and you've selected 'Yes'). Believe it or not, it's as simple as that.

mikeslr

Changing Kernels in the Carolinas IS simple!

#547 Post by mikeslr »

To quote jpup "Wow!"

mikesLr

Billtoo

Carolina - 0.0.5

#548 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive.

Carolina, version 005 on Fri 21 Dec 2012
Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nvidia: vendor=NVIDIA Corporation
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1049x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Looks good, no problems so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(39.67 KiB) Downloaded 1368 times

Sage

#549 Post by Sage »

005: Nice, thanks and sentiments reciprocated.
However, seems as if damn Adobe flash fiasco strikes again? Flash was absent or inoperable with the default FF version. I had to load the middle file offered from PPM, NOT the 'preferred' 11.....243 to get BBC/iPlayer running successfully. The install message seems to think there might be a version already present but wasn't certain? Had all this before, many times!
Everything fine and dandy now.

icake

Puppy Derivatives

#550 Post by icake »

Just want to say thanks to you and everyone involved for all the great work in the development of carolina.

For your information, I have posted 2 messages about the availability of 2 Chinese Language pets for lina-005 and lina-002, one for Traditional Chinese and one for Simplified Chinese.

When you apply these language pets to lina, you will get:

1. 99% Chinese desktop (either Traditional or Simplified Chinese)
2. locale changed to zh_HK.utf8 or zh_CN.utf8
3. SCIM Chinese Input Method with 21 Chinese Input Methods
4. Chinese menus for many applications, including Thunar file manager, Geany editor, Libre Office
5. Chinese font wqy-microhei.ttf

The links to these 2 messages are:

English: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82937
Chinese: http://www.minilinux.net/node/2469

Happy Holidays.

elroy

Re: Puppy Derivatives

#551 Post by elroy »

icake wrote:Just want to say thanks to you and everyone involved for all the great work in the development of carolina.

For your information, I have posted 2 messages about the availability of 2 Chinese Language pets for lina-005 and lina-002, one for Traditional Chinese and one for Simplified Chinese.

When you apply these language pets to lina, you will get:

1. 99% Chinese desktop (either Traditional or Simplified Chinese)
2. locale changed to zh_HK.utf8 or zh_CN.utf8
3. SCIM Chinese Input Method with 21 Chinese Input Methods
4. Chinese menus for many applications, including Thunar file manager, Geany editor, Libre Office
5. Chinese font wqy-microhei.ttf

The links to these 2 messages are:

English: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82937
Chinese: http://www.minilinux.net/node/2469

Happy Holidays.
Wonderful, icake. Thank you for taking the time to do this. The more accessible puppy is the better.

ally

#552 Post by ally »

hey all

have been using carolina 5 for a couple of days and really like it, have it installed on a lenovo t61 without problems

could someone tell me how to change the desktop fonts color as they can't be seen with the woodland background

cheers

ally :)

elroy

#553 Post by elroy »

ally wrote:have been using carolina 5 for a couple of days and really like it, have it installed on a lenovo t61 without problems

could someone tell me how to change the desktop fonts color as they can't be seen with the woodland background
Hi ally,

Go to Control Panel-->Desktop-->XfcePowerTools. From there you can change the desktop icon font colors.

ally

#554 Post by ally »

@elroy

thanks, easy when you know how isn't it

this build is growing on me more and more

big thanks

:)

Geoffrey

Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.3

#555 Post by Geoffrey »

EDIT, New version Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.3, also works with lina-lite, those that have downloaded Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.2 Please update to the latest.

Here's something to try, Xfce Theme Manager, it works quite well.

As well as selecting wallpapers, icons, cursors and themes, you can also position buttons, title layout and change fonts in the advanced settings.
Attachments
Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.3.pet
Updated with bug fixes
(79.89 KiB) Downloaded 588 times
Screenshot.png
(28.78 KiB) Downloaded 1179 times
Last edited by Geoffrey on Mon 24 Dec 2012, 00:45, edited 2 times in total.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rg66

#556 Post by rg66 »

Geoffrey wrote:Here's something to try, Xfce Theme Manager, I managed to get this to compile, it works quite well.

As well as selecting wallpapers, icons, cursors and themes, you can also position button and title layout in the advanced settings.

Thanks Geoffrey, works great!

Didn't work in lite though, got a "floating point exception" when run from terminal.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Geoffrey

#557 Post by Geoffrey »

rg66 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Here's something to try, Xfce Theme Manager, I managed to get this to compile, it works quite well.

As well as selecting wallpapers, icons, cursors and themes, you can also position button and title layout in the advanced settings.

Thanks Geoffrey, works great!

Didn't work in lite though, got a "floating point exception" when run from terminal.
It could be my compile, I did have a problem and had to edit the makefile.

There is an older version that's a binary http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/X ... ent=149647

There may be a dependency missing that's coursing the problem also.

If someone else would like to compile it, you may have better luck than me, I removed " -Wunused-result " from the makefile to get to compile.

Code: Select all

# make
g++ src/main.cpp src/globals.cpp src/database.cpp src/thumbnails.cpp src/gui.cpp src/callbacks.cpp -O3 -Wall -Wunused-result -Wunused-function -lXcursor -lgthread-2.0 `pkg-config --cflags --libs glib-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gdk-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGTK_DISABLE_SINGLE_INCLUDES -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGSEAL_ENABLE `pkg-config --cflags --libs libxfce4ui-1`	 "-DGOT_LIBXFCEUI" -o xfce-theme-manager
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wunused-result"
make: *** [xfce-theme-manager] Error 1
Here's the source code.
Attachments
Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.2.tar.gz
Source code
(104.27 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

rg66

#558 Post by rg66 »

Geoffrey wrote: It could be my compile, I did have a problem and had to edit the makefile.
Funny, did the exact same thing to the makefile and compiled on lite with the same "floating point error".
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

elroy

#559 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote: It could be my compile, I did have a problem and had to edit the makefile.
Funny, did the exact same thing to the makefile and compiled on lite with the same "floating point error".
Part of the problem is that 'lina-lite doesn't have the themes, cursors, and wallpaper that Carolina has. In some cases it may have only the defaults, or in the case of the wallpapers, none. It those cases it will get a divide by zero error and crash.

Part of this is due to sloppy c++ code. Along with your makefile edit to remove -Wunused-result, try the following in the src file callbacks.cpp.

Change the code, starting with line 49, from this:

maxWidgets=(int)widgetWidth/previewSize;

if(maxWidgets>=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt)
		maxWidgets=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt;

colSize=(int)(widgetWidth/maxWidgets);
to this:

if ((widgetWidth > 0) && (previewSize > 0))
		maxWidgets=(int)widgetWidth/previewSize;
	else
		maxWidgets=0;

if(maxWidgets>=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt)
		maxWidgets=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt;

if ((widgetWidth > 0) && (maxWidgets > 0))
		colSize=(int)widgetWidth/maxWidgets;
	else
		colSize=0;
This should solve the floating point errors, and allow it to compile and run on both 'lina-lite and Carolina.

Geoffrey

#560 Post by Geoffrey »

elroy wrote:
rg66 wrote:
Part of the problem is that 'lina-lite doesn't have the themes, cursors, and wallpaper that Carolina has. In some cases it may have only the defaults, or in the case of the wallpapers, none. It those cases it will get a divide by zero error and crash.

Part of this is due to sloppy c++ code.
Recompiled with change to code, now works in lina-lite, updated the download HERE for testing