Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#556 Post by rg66 »

Geoffrey wrote:Here's something to try, Xfce Theme Manager, I managed to get this to compile, it works quite well.

As well as selecting wallpapers, icons, cursors and themes, you can also position button and title layout in the advanced settings.

Thanks Geoffrey, works great!

Didn't work in lite though, got a "floating point exception" when run from terminal.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Geoffrey

#557 Post by Geoffrey »

rg66 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Here's something to try, Xfce Theme Manager, I managed to get this to compile, it works quite well.

As well as selecting wallpapers, icons, cursors and themes, you can also position button and title layout in the advanced settings.

Thanks Geoffrey, works great!

Didn't work in lite though, got a "floating point exception" when run from terminal.
It could be my compile, I did have a problem and had to edit the makefile.

There is an older version that's a binary http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/X ... ent=149647

There may be a dependency missing that's coursing the problem also.

If someone else would like to compile it, you may have better luck than me, I removed " -Wunused-result " from the makefile to get to compile.

Code: Select all

# make
g++ src/main.cpp src/globals.cpp src/database.cpp src/thumbnails.cpp src/gui.cpp src/callbacks.cpp -O3 -Wall -Wunused-result -Wunused-function -lXcursor -lgthread-2.0 `pkg-config --cflags --libs glib-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gdk-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGTK_DISABLE_SINGLE_INCLUDES -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGSEAL_ENABLE `pkg-config --cflags --libs libxfce4ui-1`	 "-DGOT_LIBXFCEUI" -o xfce-theme-manager
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wunused-result"
make: *** [xfce-theme-manager] Error 1
Here's the source code.
Attachments
Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.2.tar.gz
Source code
(104.27 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rg66

#558 Post by rg66 »

Geoffrey wrote: It could be my compile, I did have a problem and had to edit the makefile.
Funny, did the exact same thing to the makefile and compiled on lite with the same "floating point error".

elroy

#559 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote: It could be my compile, I did have a problem and had to edit the makefile.
Funny, did the exact same thing to the makefile and compiled on lite with the same "floating point error".
Part of the problem is that 'lina-lite doesn't have the themes, cursors, and wallpaper that Carolina has. In some cases it may have only the defaults, or in the case of the wallpapers, none. It those cases it will get a divide by zero error and crash.

Part of this is due to sloppy c++ code. Along with your makefile edit to remove -Wunused-result, try the following in the src file callbacks.cpp.

Change the code, starting with line 49, from this:

maxWidgets=(int)widgetWidth/previewSize;

if(maxWidgets>=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt)
		maxWidgets=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt;

colSize=(int)(widgetWidth/maxWidgets);
to this:

if ((widgetWidth > 0) && (previewSize > 0))
		maxWidgets=(int)widgetWidth/previewSize;
	else
		maxWidgets=0;

if(maxWidgets>=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt)
		maxWidgets=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt;

if ((widgetWidth > 0) && (maxWidgets > 0))
		colSize=(int)widgetWidth/maxWidgets;
	else
		colSize=0;
This should solve the floating point errors, and allow it to compile and run on both 'lina-lite and Carolina.

Geoffrey

#560 Post by Geoffrey »

elroy wrote:
rg66 wrote:
Part of the problem is that 'lina-lite doesn't have the themes, cursors, and wallpaper that Carolina has. In some cases it may have only the defaults, or in the case of the wallpapers, none. It those cases it will get a divide by zero error and crash.

Part of this is due to sloppy c++ code.
Recompiled with change to code, now works in lina-lite, updated the download HERE for testing
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Pete22

Regarding games for puppy carolina

#561 Post by Pete22 »

Try looking at hansamben puppy. :D

He It had several games. I think he even updated them to a level 5 pup.

I might even have a copy some where. :roll:
[If you are desperate, I will look, let me know if you find it otherwise.];

I would be very excited to see an indestructible Carolina Kids version!!!!!!!

Pete

sheldonisaac

Xfce Theme Manager

#562 Post by sheldonisaac »

Geoffrey wrote:Recompiled with change to code, now works in lina-lite, updated the download HERE for testing
Yep, works fine here, in lina-lite.

Thanks a lot.

Sheldon

rg66

Re: Regarding games for puppy carolina

#563 Post by rg66 »

Pete22 wrote:Try looking at hansamben puppy. :D

He It had several games. I think he even updated them to a level 5 pup.

I might even have a copy some where. :roll:
[If you are desperate, I will look, let me know if you find it otherwise.];

I would be very excited to see an indestructible Carolina Kids version!!!!!!!

Pete
I did an "indestructible" kids version with Carolina not too long ago. Works great and always goes back to original after reboot. It's almost 500MB so I wouldn't even think about offering it for download. I am toying with the idea of doing one based on lina lite which would be much smaller and easier/faster (cheaper) to upload.

Geoffrey

#564 Post by Geoffrey »

Here is a what I've made using the theme manager, a custom mac theme and installed cairo-dock
Attachments
custom_theme.jpg
(67.65 KiB) Downloaded 1146 times

jpup

carolina xfce panel launcher icons

#565 Post by jpup »

Been using my custom 005 build for a couple of days now with vlc, virtualbox, and wine all loaded up, haven't rebooted or shutdown the system yet, seems to be stable... but a bit hot :D

Very nice work by Geoffrey and Elroy :)

Merry Christmas!

I have a couple questions though...
Why is xfce creating two firefox entries in /root/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-12 ???

And regarding the xfce panel custom launcher, how can I make the icons smaller? They are a bit too big I think.

Thanks

Geoffrey, nice mac theme:)
Attachments
launcherscreenshot.png
xfce panel launcher big icons
(187.23 KiB) Downloaded 1121 times

elroy

Re: carolina xfce panel launcher icons

#566 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:Been using my custom 005 build for a couple of days now with vlc, virtualbox, and wine all loaded up, haven't rebooted or shutdown the system yet, seems to be stable... but a bit hot :D
Hi jpup. Have you ran the frequency scaling setup from the Control Panel-->Hardware-->CPU Frequency Scaling Tool? Make sure you check out the drop-down list for the correct module for your setup. After you've done that, right click the 'lightning' icon in the panel notification area and select the power mode you'd like to run; then check out 'Hardware Control' in the same right-click menu. This can make a big difference in your machine running cooler, particularly if you're using a laptop or notebook.
jpup wrote:Why is xfce creating two firefox entries in /root/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-12 ???
That looks like a bug from building 005. Nice catch! One of the .desktop files is on the puppy_lina_005.sfs, and I'm guessing that the other is on the adrive. Fortunately only one appears in the launcher menu, and it doesn't appear to have any adverse consequences. It's safe to delete one of them if you're using a savefile.
jpup wrote:regarding the xfce panel custom launcher, how can I make the icons smaller?
To decrease the panel launcher menu icon sizes, open the file /root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml, and look under the Gtk property tag. You'll find this in line 27:

<property name="IconSizes" type="string" value=""/>
Change it to something like this:

<property name="IconSizes" type="string" value="panel-launcher-menu=16,16"/>
The default size is 32x32, but if 16x16 is too small, you can try 24x24.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you'll need to restart the X server in order to see the changes.

Terry H

#567 Post by Terry H »

elroy and geoffrey,

Thanks for a great puppy derivative. I've been using carolina 0.0.5 for a couple of days now with no issues. I have a manual frugal install on my dell d620 laptop with core duo 2.13GHz bcm4311 wifi, 1440x900 display 2.5 GB RAM.

Everything worked OOTB, wifi, correct resolution and even the volume up/down/mute buttons work!

I've never used xfce before and am very impressed at how easy it is to make changes to the panel and launcher.

I also have a new desktop which I haven't had a chance to run it on as yet. The desktop is a HP with AMD FX6100 processor with Radeon 7450 discrete graphics with 10 GB RAM.

Carolina is my current favourite distro to run.

gcmartin

#568 Post by gcmartin »

Wow. This is certainly a great-great Christmas present.

I got a wonderful, fast 32bit OS, A surprise in the seasonal desktop theme. A subsystem that allows building of a brand new PUP should I choose. A fast PPM implementation, A great FirstRUN system launch no matter whether a LAN cable is present or not. JAVA built-in, LibreOFFICE stability, And I can go on and on.

Thanks for what you guys have shown us thru your great-great efforts. :D

Geoffrey

#569 Post by Geoffrey »

New version Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.3, I reported Elroy's fix to the developer, here's his reply.
Hadn't spotted the exception but managed to recreate it and it is now fixed please download v0.2.3

The problem seems to be GtkWidgets being in a state of flux when changing theme parts leading to odd sizes ( negative as well as 0 ), the supplied patch almost worked I had to tweak it a bit, now if you try to change tabs/resize the window whilst changing themes if the widgets are not fully realized the manager will just not do anything.
Updated the previous post, get Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.3 HERE

jpup

Re: carolina 005

#570 Post by jpup »

Hi Elroy, thanks :)
elroy wrote:To decrease the panel launcher menu icon sizes, open the file /root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml, and look under the Gtk property tag. You'll find this in line 27:

<property name="IconSizes" type="string" value=""/>
Change it to something like this:

<property name="IconSizes" type="string" value="panel-launcher-menu=16,16"/>
The default size is 32x32, but if 16x16 is too small, you can try 24x24.
Yes, this did the trick, 24x24 seems just about right, doesn't feel like I'm spanning the length of the screen anymore :D I've always wanted to edit that xml config file since previous versions, but I didn't actually know what code to put in.
elroy wrote:EDIT: I forgot to mention that you'll need to restart the X server in order to see the changes.
Yes, restarting X is habit I've acquired, when making changes. I've even set my .shutdown_action to "Restart X Windows"
elroy wrote:Hi jpup. Have you ran the frequency scaling setup from the Control Panel-->Hardware-->CPU Frequency Scaling Tool?
Yes, I've already set up my cpu frequencies. I've even added a panel launcher for the cpu frequency scaling tool, for quick changes. I always set my scaling driver to "powernow-k8" and my governor to "ondemand" and I can change min/max pstates as well as thresholds. But this notebook is already quite hot to begin with, it idles at around 56°C - 60°C so I'm a bit concerned about heat, and the best option is to lower max pstates when I don't need the processing power to lower the temps. But sadly, I don't get the same level of hardware optimization I get on windows. On win7/8, I can do most things, multitasking, even 1080p video playback while my cpu clock is set to just 823 MHz. I can't do that on carolina :(
I'm the type of user who rarely maximizes app windows, since it's a waste of workspace.
I usually have atleast 3 app windows open all the time.

elroy wrote:That looks like a bug from building 005. Nice catch! One of the .desktop files is on the puppy_lina_005.sfs, and I'm guessing that the other is on the adrive. Fortunately only one appears in the launcher menu, and it doesn't appear to have any adverse consequences. It's safe to delete one of them if you're using a savefile.
Yes it doesn't seem like it's causing any problems, I just got a bit spooked :D
It always comes back even if I delete it or redo the panel launcher.

Thanks again, and have a merry christmas :)
I'll be going to my girlfriend's house in a bit, maybe help her with preparations for the christmas eve dinner later tonight.

Thanks, Happy holidays!

Pete22

An Undistructable carolina kids version

#571 Post by Pete22 »

rg66: I understand your reluctance to offer a 500+m puppy. Puppy likes to be slim and trim.
I think one reason is there are important folks like Barry, who still has dial-up.
The repository that Barry has to upload to is also very so to download from.

Edit: Reread your message:
It sounds like you are having cost issues with big uploads. OK, ignore my request.
I was not aware that could be an issue. Sorry.

For me, however, to have a kids game puppy that was almost indestructible by them; and include
almost no maintenance by me would be worth the 10 to 20 minutes to download it from a fairly
good download repository like smokey01.

I don't know about others, but this Santa :wink: is thinking this would be a win-win situation for the kids
and their adult computer caretakers.

The price is certainly right. :D

Just a thought from a jolly elf,

er, hum...I mean Pete :wink:

PS
just let me know when you have a download available. It will be a welcome
addition for my little Carolina users. : :D
Last edited by Pete22 on Mon 24 Dec 2012, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

Pete22

I have some good news, and then some other news.

#572 Post by Pete22 »

Elroy: Thanks for reloading the iso.
I was able to get a download today with matching md5.
Without a savefile I was able to begin uploading lina 005.
The start up routine looked unremarkable. I even got to the
desktop which I was not able to before. I even saw the holiday
photo. Very cute.

Now for the bad news.
It took for ever to get to the desktop However, unlike when I had a bad download, it did not ask me
if I still wanted to do an autosync for the clock. I only got the message that the zdrive did not load,
and suggested that maybe it was in the wrong place. Unfortunately , that is not the case.

Then it jammed. alt control backspace did nothing. I had to hold down the off button to get out if there.

So I tried an upgrade from 4 to 5. A lot of things were not found as it tried to boot up and it
never started the upgrade process.

How can I help Pinpoint the problem?

Pete

elroy

Re: I have some good news, and then some other news.

#573 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:Elroy: Thanks for reloading the iso.
I was able to get a download today with matching md5.
Without a savefile I was able to begin uploading lina 005.
The start up routine looked unremarkable. I even got to the
desktop which I was not able to before. I even saw the holiday
photo. Very cute.

Now for the bad news.
It took for ever to get to the desktop However, unlike when I had a bad download, it did not ask me
if I still wanted to do an autosync for the clock. I only got the message that the zdrive did not load,
and suggested that maybe it was in the wrong place. Unfortunately , that is not the case.

Then it jammed. alt control backspace did nothing. I had to hold down the off button to get out if there.

So I tried an upgrade from 4 to 5. A lot of things were not found as it tried to boot up and it
never started the upgrade process.

How can I help Pinpoint the problem?
As far as upgraidning goes, be sure you're not using the savefile from 004. You'll need to create a new one from 005. I haven't experienced any of the problems you're describing. The only thing that comes to mind is that either you're trying to use your 004 savefile, or you have a computer that is too old to run Carolina. Either way, neither will do. If you wish to upgrade, I'd highly suggest that you start fresh - 005 and create a new savefile. Without knowing exactly what you've done, I can't offer you any more info than that.

Pete22

Carolina 005

#574 Post by Pete22 »

Elroy:

All is well with my 005. As you probably suspected my problem was mostly user error.
When I got the new download I did a manual frugal install like I always do, or so I thought.
I have done it so many times, I just look for necessary files on the iso and move them over
to the hard drive, when I see them. The last part of that sentence is where I made the mistake.

Always before when I opened an iso all the files would show. But this time initrd.gz was hidden
I didn't see it, so I didn't load it. When I made a careful check for every file, I noticed it was missing
Went back to the iso and sure enough it was not showing. I changed the settings to show
hidden files and it popped up. If I had been paying better attention I would have noticed
Carolina always needs at least five files to load properly. Sorry for the worry.

Wondering why this file is showing up as a hidden file in 005 when it was not doing
that before? Regardless, of the reason, I will be more careful next time.

So glad to have Carolina up and working.

Pete

okokoook

#575 Post by okokoook »

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to every one!!! Happy Holidays