Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

Re: Firefox

#601 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete22 wrote:Hello Elroy,

FYI: I always move firefox out of my savefile when I set up a fresh install.
However, version 18 still corrupted it on two of the machines I am running.
One with carolina 05 and one with carolina lite 05.

:-(

Pete
Pete the reason that Firefox 18 doesn't work is the glibc is old, wary as suffered the same fate, it is out of elroy's and my ability to update this library and it will most likely need glib and the kernel updating also.

so it looks as if this where development stops, if someone would like to take over development MP me, I will be unavailable from the 4th due to family issues.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

inoxidabile

#602 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody!
First of all, please accept my wide compliments, Carolina is very good, a great balance of simplicity and powerful features :)
Let me also say that it seems more than a "beta" as declared! :)

I would have some question:
- When I launch some applications requiring some time to start, nothing happen and there are no popup to advice that something is running and have to wait some seconds.
- With Firefox, sometimes happens this: if I go to a webpage and I stop the loading (e.g. exit from browser), then at re-opening Firefox it seems not more able to connect to anything... unless I act on panel icon in order to disconnect from eth0 and restart connection.
It's annoying, it's like "something keeps in mind" that there is a connection to establish :(
- The icons on desktop have a poor contrast/visibility even choosing different wallpaper. I didn't find a solution, does anyone has a suggestion?
- I would like to try wbar and I found these instructions
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WbarInstall
Are they valid also for Carolina?

Many Thanks in advance for any info or suggestion!
:)

rg66

#603 Post by rg66 »

inoxidabile wrote: - The icons on desktop have a poor contrast/visibility even choosing different wallpaper. I didn't find a solution, does anyone has a suggestion?
Maybe try a different icon theme from the repo
inoxidabile wrote: - I would like to try wbar and I found these instructions
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WbarInstall
Are they valid also for Carolina? :)
Wbar is in the repo, just dl and install. A startup script is put in usr/Startup to run it at startup, but if you restart x you will have to launch it again. Just type wbar in the terminal. There is a .wbar config file in /root to make changes.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Geoffrey

#604 Post by Geoffrey »

I'm back, went to see my brother Mark who passed away from cancer on the 10th, the forum and puppy seemed unimportant to me for the last few weeks, but life go's on and being here is a good distraction from the misery that happens in the world.
inoxidabile wrote:The icons on desktop have a poor contrast/visibility
Use Xfce Power Tools located in Control panel under Desktop to adjust text colors and opacity, you can also change the font size custom settings by right clicking the desktop and selecting Desktop Settings, look under the icon tab for the options.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

inoxidabile

#605 Post by inoxidabile »

Many thanks to Geoffrey and rg66!
With Your suggestions now the look is better... and I must take practice about setups of xfce ... :)
(I still have some trouble with setup of wbar, but this is an other question I'm looking for the gui tool for this :? )

Coming to the others points of my post, unfortunately, I can confirm the mentioned behavior :cry:
When for any reason a page doesn't finish the load, at restart it seems that the connection becomes not active and Firefox try again to load that web page.
I'm not able to say if it's due to Firefox or/and network management but looking on web I have seen that I'm not the only one.
Following some suggestions, I found the solution (maybe... :) ):

1) Disable frisbee and use sns (SimpleNetworkSetup) and ckeck ok as default tool; maybe also Dougal Wizard but not frisbee

2) Setups about Firefox
- Go to -> preferences-network-advanced settings and use system proxy settings or no proxy (if possible...)
- Type about:config in the address bar and press the "Enter" key. When you see a warning, click I'll be careful, I promise! button.
- Then, in the Filter bar, type network.http.max-connections. Right click the preference network.http.max-connections and choose Modify, change the value to 30 or 48.
- Then, search for browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash Double click on true to toggle it to false.
- Now, search for browser.sessionstore.max_resumed_crashes and set it to 0
Finally, exit the page and restart Firefox.

In my feel these are more workarounds than true solutions but I hope the above could be useful for something else , however :)

rg66

#606 Post by rg66 »

@ inoxidabile

Strange, I'm not having any firefox issues that are not related to my ISP. As in they suck and my internet just stops working.

There is a wbar gui here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52381

inoxidabile

#607 Post by inoxidabile »

@ rg66: many thanks for the link about wget :)

About ISP... It was one of the hypotesis I did.

In order to be sure, I kept connected two pc in two port of the same modem-router and starting the same request for the same page and, of course, same Firefox setup.
On the first there was Carolina Puppy and on the other Ubuntu 10.04 and the considered webpage takes always about 5 seconds to load.
Starting the request and closing Firefox after the first 2 seconds, the pc with Ubuntu restart with the home page but the pc having Carolina seems that it's trying to load the previous page, even if I close and restart Firefox again, also waiting some time.
This happens regardless the test is on both pc in the same time or one at time.
I'm not able to say if this "lock" of Firefox is due to itself or loosing of connection or whatsoever but, prior to modifications in my previous post, the only way I had to use again Firefox was to restart the network manager (then a new auto dhcp).

Of course maybe there could be possible also something related to hw and then I'm going to perform other tests, checking with an other puppy version, for instance, and also to verify if the efficacy of my variation is still good :D

rg66

#608 Post by rg66 »

@ inoxidabile

What version of firefox are you using? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Mine breaks sometimes but a reinstall sorts it out.

inoxidabile

#609 Post by inoxidabile »

@rg66

I used the Firefox version included in the last iso of Carolina 0.0.5 .
So, You are saying that in this way is a sort of cleaning due to reinstall or it's because in repo there is a more recent and better Firefox issue?
However it's a test that I have to do, thanks for suggestion.
I also thought to try with a different browser, but after a quick look I have see only Opera in repos ... isn't there also Chrome or maybe I'm blind? :)

Ops... I forgot to say "a detail" :oops:
I've seen a similiar behavior in an other Puppy derivative... I'm not absolutely sure, because I did a lot of check in last days, but it was a recent one (maybe it was LxPup + frisbee).

linux

#610 Post by linux »

Geoffrey

Sorry to hear about your brother

Thanks for your work on this project

jakfish

#611 Post by jakfish »

Geoffrey, I was just started experimenting w/ Saluki which of course brought me to Carolina, and I saw your post about your brother's death.

It's very saddening and you have all my condolences,
Jake

inoxidabile

#612 Post by inoxidabile »

I would add my condolences in thi sad moment for Geoffrey.

inoxidabile

Geoffrey

cartoon_fighter-1.1-lina.sfs

#613 Post by Geoffrey »

Thanks linux, jakfish and inoxidabile, appreciated

I've repackaged cartoon_fighter-1.1, it now works in Carolina and can be found in the PPM under SFS Downloader

This should work in Saluki also, get it directly HERE, size 58meg
Attachments
cartoon_fighter-1.1.jpg
(82.09 KiB) Downloaded 644 times

oldyeller

#614 Post by oldyeller »

Hi Geoffrey,

I was going through the Derivatives and checking on some puppies when i thought about Carolina and came to check to see what is new and going on here.

I to am very sorry to hear about your brother. Take care. Weill be praying for you.

inoxidabile

#615 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody !

I installed Carolina - frugal mode, on a Foxconn nt330i and as first check I used a common crt 1024x768 res. Everything was fine and it becomes better after Nvidia installation as specified in tutorial.
But I connected the pc to a tv with hdmi and then I'm not able to find the way to set a right resolution.

It automatically detects its native res is 1920x1080 and the panel results "out of screen" and also the windows have one third not accessible ... I tried also a different resolution 1280x720 but the panel still remains one half out and the windows are not correct in size.

I have had a look on web and my fear is that this problem has no solution...
Have I any chance? Should I only vga/dvi connection?
Many many thanks in advance!

inoxidabile

#616 Post by inoxidabile »

After several check and "cut and try" operations I found the reason of problem.

The main reson was a setup in monitor/tv, I t was about a "stretching" of image, a sort of little extra landscape effect.
After the reset of this effect, I also have had to find the best compromise for resolution, because 1920x1080 shows too little icons and fonts and then now it seems good at 1200x720.
I don't know if this is due to monitor/tv feature, graphic chipset, Puppy or whatsoever (or a combination of that), however now the result is acceptable.

Something is still not ok, in my opinion... I tried the game GLBilliard, it starts well, etc... but when I quit it, the desktop is "shrinked" and I have had to exit and restart with xwin... I'll check for these behavior :)

inoxidabile

#617 Post by inoxidabile »

I would have two question...

The first is about acpitool.
My pc (Foxconn nt330i) is always conneted to mains power supply and, since it isn't a netbook, it hasn't battery and lcd screen.
Acpitool remains always in "powersave mode" and if I set it in "Turbo mode" at the next boot it returns in "Powersave".
Having a look at frequency scaling tool it seems that, however, the frequency of cpu is always the same (1.6GHz).
I must say I don't know these tools but I didn't find a clear description about. :(

The above points are due to my attempt to increase as much as possible the graphic performance (nVIDIA MCP7A-ION chipset, 512MB ram, shared type).
The installation of nVIDIA driver has been a bit better but sometimes in some video (e.g. YouTube) some flickering happen.
I reduced the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, I look at that videos in a lower quality (say, 360 instead of 480) but something still remains.
OK... OK... of course, it could be caused by speed of connection on web but my feel is that there could be "something" to improve :?
The hw seems good enough (CPU Atom 330i dual core 1.6GHz, 4GB ram) so I don't think that Carolina/XFCE represent an "heavy load" and to speak frankly I would prefer to keep XFCE (or maybe LXDE).

Any suggestion will be wellcome ! :)

rg66

#618 Post by rg66 »

If you want turbo mode always on then backup /root/Startup/9acpid and replace with this one.
Attachments
9acpid.gz
(71 Bytes) Downloaded 248 times

inoxidabile

#619 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi rg66,
Thank you very much for Your prompt reply and many thanks also for the file, I'll try it :)

But, just for my knowledge, what are the explanation for the behavior of acpitool I've seen? Why does it always stay in state?
And could it be the reason of some slowdown in graphics?
Last but not least, if I use Your file there is no more need of keep acpitool installed...
I'm sorry for these extra questions, but I would like to understand more if possible and I didn't find something of clear understanding (at least, for me... :oops: )

inoxidabile

#620 Post by inoxidabile »

HELP !
Today I started Carolina and everything seemed ok, but Fiefox doesn't run :(
The Internet connection is ok, I tried e.g. to update repos and then I see that it's ok then it's only about Firefox...
Launching firefox from terminal it says
XPCOMGlueLoaderror for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so:
libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

I didn't do anything of strange, after the installation I only turn on the pc, surf on web and then I switch off (with the command icon, of course).
I don't know how it's happen but, in every case... what can I do? Should I reinstall Firefox? In this case, what is the right procedure?
It isn't available in Package manager...
I'm very sad... :cry: please, help me...