Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ally

#631 Post by ally »

hey elroy

running smoothly on initial install to lenovo t61

correctly configured display, sound and ethernet, downloaded a few sample progs from ppm

looks really nice

:)

**edit - clicking *.xls file did not open spreadsheet, able to open from libre calc ok though **
Last edited by ally on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 13:58, edited 2 times in total.

inoxidabile

#632 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi elroy,
I'm very happy Carolina is going on :)

I apologize for my answer, but I obtained a good result with 0.0.5 and several setup, nVidia driver, and so on , so I would like to start again from scratch...

Could You kindly suggest me how to try the new (and future) release?

Thank You in advance! :)

rg66

#633 Post by rg66 »

inoxidabile wrote:Hi elroy, Could You kindly suggest me how to try the new (and future) release?

Thank You in advance! :)
Go to the first post and click the 006-rc link, either download the complete ISO or get lina-005.iso___lina-006-rc.iso.delta and use xdelta from utilities with the delta and the 005 ISO to generate the new one.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

GoneSouth

Clementine

#634 Post by GoneSouth »

Clementine seg faulted
will try another download

elroy

Re: Clementine

#635 Post by elroy »

GoneSouth wrote:Clementine seg faulted
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I don't think it's your ISO download that's bad; I got the segfault, too. I re-installed the Clementine pet from the repo and that fixed the issue - it ran as expected. Why it segfaults from the ISO isn't known at present, but that will be addressed for the next release. In the meantime the simple fix is to re-install Clementine from the repo.

Geoffrey

Re: Clementine

#636 Post by Geoffrey »

elroy wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:Clementine seg faulted
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I don't think it's your ISO download that's bad; I got the segfault, too. I re-installed the Clementine pet from the repo and that fixed the issue - it ran as expected. Why it segfaults from the ISO isn't known at present, but that will be addressed for the next release. In the meantime the simple fix is to re-install Clementine from the repo.
The Clementine binary is only 208bytes, it should be 10meg and /usr/share/clementine/projectm-presets is missing files.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Colonel Panic

#637 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just been trying 0.0.6-rc, and it's looking good. It's the first distro I've used so far which has Libre Office 4, for a start :)
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

elroy

#638 Post by elroy »

We're currently busy working on the upcoming release version of Carolina, and have come up with a way to enable you to partake in the bug-testing if you wish to do so.

We've created delta files that are equivalent to 'nightly-snapshots'; although this is a misnomer, because they would be more accurately be called 'periodic-snapshots'.

The 'snapshot' deltas and md5sums are located here. The deltas create ISOs that are differentiated by date. There are two md5sums - one for the delta file itself, and one for the ISO that it creates. In this way, you are welcome to participate in helping to create a very solid release version. If you don't know how to create an ISO from a delta file, Geoffrey has created a nice tutorial that you can find here. Your feedback is most welcome. From this you will be able to see the progression that we are moving towards regarding the release version, and have a direct input in the testing stage.

You will also find a text file in that directory titled 'change_log'. Download it and you'll be able to track, by date, the current changes that are being made in relation to the specific delta files (again, differentiated by the date of change). In this way you will be able to see which bugs and additions have been addressed, etc.

Please note that all of the 'snapshot' deltas will be build off of the latest 'official' ISO release, lina-006-rc.iso. And too, being that these deltas are experimental, they should be treated as volatile...no guarantee of usability, etc. While we will do our best to ensure that they are as sane as possible, being that they are experimental in nature, we can't guarantee their usability.

umair

Re: Carolina - 0.0.6-rc

#639 Post by umair »

Hello Elroy:
Testing your carolina 0.0.6-rc. Looking very solid. Nice work you done as you did before ;-). keep it up. One thing I have to mention that every time when I open package manager, its takes 5 to 6 seconds to load, which is very unusual (Never face this in any version of saluki or previous version of carolina), Also tell me about the future release of Carolina.
Thnx in advance.
Regards
UMAIR

Geoffrey

#640 Post by Geoffrey »

umair wrote:One thing I have to mention that every time when I open package manager, its takes 5 to 6 seconds to load, which is very unusual
umair, there is a checkbox top left of the package manager, this turns off the auto updater for the Carolina repo, the reason it was added is that we often update the repo, so when the manager is first run it will give you the latest Carolina software updates. :)
Attachments
PPM.jpg
(92.46 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

umair

#641 Post by umair »

Geoffrey wrote: umair, there is a checkbox top left of the package manager, this turns off the auto updater for the Carolina repo, the reason it was added is that we often update the repo, so when the manager is first run it will give you the latest Carolina software updates. :)
Thanks for reply Geoffrey:
Thats nice option to add auto update. Never noticed that :).
Regards
UMAIR

Marv

release candidate

#642 Post by Marv »

Hi Elroy and Geoffrey.

Is there a changelog for Carolina-0.0.6-rc wrt 0.0.5? Mostly interested in the infrastructure. Rotated my laptop stock and now have a lifebook with PAE and a reasonable amount of power so Carolina will be one of the OS's on it. Have alphaOS touchpadding, lid suspending, and CPU governing on it at this point also. Lina-Lite remains the main OS on the other Pentium M non-PAE lifebooks.

Jim
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

#643 Post by elroy »

umair wrote: Also tell me about the future release of Carolina.
Hi umair,

Geoffrey's explanation about the auto-updating of the ppm is right on target. As far as the release version is concerned, it won't be too much different from the release candidate version. The reported bugs will be fixed and there will be some cosmetic changes (new default wallpaper, right-click enhancements). After that, any new releases will be updates to packages, but that will be about it.

EDIT: I guess I left out an important part. We will also be releasing Carolina as both PAE and non-PAE versions. If someone downloads the PAE release version, they will be able to download a non-PAE delta in order to create the non-PAE release version.

elroy

Re: release candidate

#644 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Hi Elroy and Geoffrey.

Is there a changelog for Carolina-0.0.6-rc wrt 0.0.5? Mostly interested in the infrastructure. Rotated my laptop stock and now have a lifebook with PAE and a reasonable amount of power so Carolina will be one of the OS's on it. Have alphaOS touchpadding, lid suspending, and CPU governing on it at this point also. Lina-Lite remains the main OS on the other Pentium M non-PAE lifebooks.

Jim
Hey Marv,
In the end there was no infrastructure changes. We've decided it'd be best to port our vision of xfce to a new base in the future, and leave Carolina as is in that sense. We've updated some of the packages used in 005, and added to some of the scripts (uninstall, and for the release, there will be a couple of new right-click menu options).

I replaced UMplayer with SMplayer due to broken YouTube support in UMplayer (and the fact that UMplayer is no longer being developed). Also, we replaced Firefox/Thunderbird with Seamonkey as the default browser/email client due to the incompatibility with newer versions of Firefox/Thunderbird with the Wary glibc-2.10. LibreOffice was updated to the latest version, too. A few other minor changes, but nothing concerning the infrastructure. Nice to hear from you....it's been awhile. :)

Sage

#645 Post by Sage »

Only just noticed your return, el - thought we'd lost Carolina. Great news.
replaced Firefox/Thunderbird with Seamonkey
Not so good. Setting aside my own prejudice against SM, you'll have noticed a lot of problems with it recently, along with adverse comments about FF and other Mozilla antics. Micko found one issue with Opera recently, but it's still the fastest, most reliable, and probably smallest. The Norwegian developers are exceptionally responsive to suggestions and assistance, so it's still the best bet, even though BK doesn't use it. All the other browsers have issues, too! Except Dillo?!

inoxidabile

#646 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi elroy,

I checked the last Carolina 006_rc, it seems a good step ahead :)

I have seen some strange behavior and maybe they are bugs:
- It's not enough to click on the X at the top right corner of Seamonkey to close it, because in this way it remains active with an icon on the left low corner on panel.
To really stop it needs to select quit on its menu (or the same shortcut on keys, of course).
I don't have the same feel as Sage for Opera, personally I prefer Firefox interface... I see the reason to put Seamonkey instead, but in my opinion it's not so responsive even if it should be similar.
- The resolution change is good and it seems better than the previous, now I found immediately the right one for my needs and it correctly fit the screen, with noveau. But, if I try to change it again, accepting to start xorg wizard the system hangs up.
- Now there isn't the main menu by clicking on any position on screen.
- I still think that it could be better to have a "waiting signal" because there are programs taking some seconds to start.

Just a little last note.
I asked You about the "auto-update" of Firefox... having a look in Preferences-Advanced-Updates, I have seen that the default option is set on automatic, so I think it has been the problem I told You. :)

rg66

#647 Post by rg66 »

inoxidabile wrote: - It's not enough to click on the X at the top right corner of Seamonkey to close it, because in this way it remains active with an icon on the left low corner on panel.
To really stop it needs to select quit on its menu (or the same shortcut on keys, of course).
Got to Tools>Add-ons Manager and disable or remove FireTray, restart browser. This will allow closing Seamonkey normally.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

inoxidabile

#648 Post by inoxidabile »

Thank You rg66 for the note about Seamonkey :)

About the clicking for menu, I solved by myself (changing the mouse... :oops:), but I can confirm the other two points:
- The system becomes completely stopped the second time I run the xorg wizard. There are no way to resume it and I have to switch off :(
- There are some programs and processes requiring some seconds to start. It isn't a problem in itself but in my opinion it isn't good when you click and nothing happens on screen, so maybe it could be better to have any "waiting signal" (like running clock or whatsoever). :?

umair

#649 Post by umair »

hello:
I am facing an issue. When ever I want to access a memory stick of my Cell phone as USB Drive, carolina detects it as USB 3G Modem. I checked on different flavors of Puppy Linux. Works only on Lucid 528 (I can access the folders and files of memory stick like a normal USB drive) , but mostly saluki/ carolina and slako detects it as USB 3G Modem. Can anyone have an idea how to force carolina to access the memory card of my cell phone?
Thnx in advance.
UMAIR

inoxidabile

#650 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi umair,

It's strange this different behavior and I have to say that I haven't any sure trick to suggest... I'm not skilled enough !
Never the less, in my opinion it could be interesting to check how the system recognize the usb.
The only things I have in mind are:
- to have a look using gparted, and
- to see the result of command lsusb in terminal