Chromium v83 with pepper-flash **RUNS-AS-SPOT**

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
peebee

#331 Post by peebee »

ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

DAC324

#332 Post by DAC324 »

Hello,

this version throws the following errors:
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /lib/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: undefined symbol: g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a
How can this be fixed?

Kind regards,
DAC324

peebee

#333 Post by peebee »

DAC324 wrote:Hello,

/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /lib/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: undefined symbol: g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a
How can this be fixed?

Kind regards,
DAC324
On which pup????

see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 521#935521

Only runs on "modern" pups as described.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

DAC324

#334 Post by DAC324 »

peebee wrote:
DAC324 wrote:Hello,

How can this be fixed?

Kind regards,
DAC324
On which pup????

see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 521#935521

Only runs on "modern" pups as described.
TahrPup 6.0.5 - it is, unfortunately, not listed in the linked posting. Apparently, TahrPup is also considered "old".

Kind regards,
DAC324

Mike Walsh

#335 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, DAC324.

Mm. It's a well-known fact that Chromium (upon which a multitude of other browsers are based...including Chrome itself) is always compiled under the newest versions of the glibc (the general 'C' library). peebee's been having various problems with recent releases because of this.

Google themselves re-compile it for Chrome under a much older glibc to maintain compatibility for the largest possible user-base. As do the builders of SlimJet, Iron and Vivaldi (all of which are Chromium-based, and all of which are available here on the forums.)

Just FYI.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

Moat

#336 Post by Moat »

Hmmm... If you haven't already done it - I recall TahrPup has an updated glibc available in either Quickpet or the Tahr updates app (??). I also recall using it (i.e. - updating glibc) on any TahrPup installs I've done, and had no issues with it breaking the system. Although a huge YMMV if you give that a try... back things up first!! Might be worth a shot... :?:

Bob

Mike Walsh

#337 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Bob.
Moat wrote:If you haven't already done it - I recall TahrPup has an updated glibc available in either Quickpet or the Tahr updates app (??). I also recall using it (i.e. - updating glibc) on any TahrPup installs I've done, and had no issues with it breaking the system.
Is that the one that's supposed to be the repair 'fix' for that vulnerability that was discovered with the glibc, a while back? I put it 'on ice', right at the beginning; I wasn't certain I wanted to use it, since I knew messing around with the glibc was liable to 'break' things if you weren't careful.....

You say you've found it works OK?

Moat

#338 Post by Moat »

Hi Mike -
Mike Walsh wrote:Is that the one that's supposed to be the repair 'fix' for that vulnerability that was discovered with the glibc, a while back? ...

You say you've found it works OK?
DoH! You are right, and it's just a security update - and not a version upgrade (I just checked, and the updated version remains at 2.19). So, likely not applicable to DAC324's issue. Dang it... :?

And yes - I've never experienced any particular issues after installing the update. Has been working OK for me, anyway...

Kinda' pitiful that an LTS Linux release from only three years ago (and officially supported for two more) is based upon a lib structure that's already treated (abandoned?) as obsolete by application/package builders. :? More of that mixed-up, non-collaborative world of Linux, I guess - eh?! :wink:

Bob

Mike Walsh

#339 Post by Mike Walsh »

Moat wrote:Kinda' pitiful that an LTS Linux release from only three years ago (and officially supported for two more) is based upon a lib structure that's already treated (abandoned?) as obsolete by application/package builders. :? More of that mixed-up, non-collaborative world of Linux, I guess - eh?! :wink:
'Nuff said, mate.... but yes, it IS 'pitiful'. And the stupid thing is that these older versions of the glibc are still perfectly functional, of course.

Though I'm certainly not knocking Linux maintainers for trying to maintain the general level of security. Far from it.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

haywirepc

#340 Post by haywirepc »

I am using tahrpup linux 6.05 and tried to install this latest 32 bit chromium sfs. Sfs installs, but I get this error when attempting to load chromium :

/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)

Can anyone help me fix this? I have all tahrpup updates installed already.
I don't see glibc 3.4.20 or anything close in the repos.

Desperately want to get this working...

peebee

#341 Post by peebee »

haywirepc wrote:I am using tahrpup linux 6.05 and tried to install this latest 32 bit chromium sfs. Sfs installs, but I get this error when attempting to load chromium :

/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)

Can anyone help me fix this? I have all tahrpup updates installed already.
I don't see glibc 3.4.20 or anything close in the repos.

Desperately want to get this working...
Hi

Best advice if you want cutting-edge is to upgrade your system to XenialPup....

Best I can offer for older systems like TahrPup is:

chromium_56.0.2924.76+pepper_25.0.0.148_pg.sfs

rufwoof

#342 Post by rufwoof »

I run a Debian based frugal boot and Debian programs tend to be dated (but very stable). The core stability and security updates suites my needs. For other more adventurous stuff I can run that in a VirtualBox. For instance this is a session that runs LMDE (Mint Mate) iso as a live-boot, into which the latest Google Chrome has been installed. Save the session as a snapshot and you can jump straight back to where the snapshot was made without having to wait for the ISO to boot, download chrome ...etc again.

A factor however is that the likes of WebGL (new google earth for instance) might not run (doesn't for me at least) as the VirtualBox doesn't seem to support that (or my hardware isn't up to it as I run on pretty old kit).

A benefit is that the virtual box session is contained and any screw-up's in that don't affect your stable core system. That virtualbox session was run in a restricted environment i.e. another user account that is tied down to use restricted bash (rbash) and has no su or sudo access. I use that for online stuff and have another userid for where all personal data/docs are stored. True multi-user is one of the benefits of the Dogs over the Pups (FatDog, DebianDog, XenialDog). Ctrl-Alt-Fn switches to another console where you can log in to another user id (once you've set them up). You can also use permissions (chown, chgrp, chmod) to restrict access to folders/files from certain user id's.

roadkill13

#343 Post by roadkill13 »

I experienced this issue when I tried to use the 32 bit package for Chromium 57 from this thread on TahrPup 6.06. I do not recall why I downloaded this package instead of opting for the one in the PPM from Ubuntu Universe repo.

I did install Chromium 58 from the PPM on a fresh save folder today and everything is working fine. I am running Chromium as user Spot.

peebee

#344 Post by peebee »

peebee

chromium_58.0.3029.96+pepper_25.0.0.171

#345 Post by peebee »

32-bit:
chromium_58.0.3029.96+pepper_25.0.0.171_lx.sfs

64-bit:
chromium64_58.0.3029.96+pepper_25.0.0.171_lx.sfs

Tested on:
slacko-6.9.6.4
xenialpup-7.0.8.1
slacko64-6.9.6.4

probably unlikely to work on anything older....

Mike Walsh

#346 Post by Mike Walsh »

For anybody who wants a Chromium 58-based browser, the best equivalent ATM is probably Iron.....if you want something that's identical to Chromium in looks and functionality.

If you don't mind cosmetic differences (and a few extras), then SlimJet is also worth a look.

OscarTalks produces 32-bit builds for both of these, and I myself produce the 64-bit equivalents. For 'stick-in-the-muds' like myself who have nicely fettled Tahrpup installs, and don't see any reason to have to upgrade for the sake of one browser, it's probably the best alternative.

For everybody else, I have no hesitation recommending peebee's Chromium packages; they're solidly built, and always just 'work'.

peebee

#347 Post by peebee »

chromium_58.0.3029.110+pepper_25.0.0.171
only for LxPupSc-17.05.1 and later....

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 578#954578

peebee

#348 Post by peebee »

Mike Walsh wrote:For anybody who wants a Chromium 58-based browser, the best equivalent ATM is probably Iron.....if you want something that's identical to Chromium in looks and functionality. Mike. :wink:
Thanks Mike

Confirmed - Iron-58.0.3050.0 works fine in LxPupSc....
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(85.49 KiB) Downloaded 3005 times

peebee

chromium_59.0.3071.86+pepper_26.0.0.137

#349 Post by peebee »

Updated 11-jul-2017

32-bit:
chromium_59.0.3071.86+pepper_26.0.0.137_lx.sfs

64-bit:
chromium64_59.0.3071.86+pepper_26.0.0.137_lx.sfs

32-bit tested on: LxPupSc & LxPupXenial
64-bit tested on: LxPup64 only

Unlikely to work on pups pre-2016-ish
Last edited by peebee on Sun 30 Jul 2017, 06:06, edited 4 times in total.

peebee

#350 Post by peebee »

Updated to pepperflash-26.0.0.126 - see above