Changing a kernel for a specific distro - Is there a HOW TO?

Using applications, configuring, problems
gcmartin

Changing a kernel for a specific distro - Is there a HOW TO?

#1 Post by gcmartin »

I saw this and wondered "Can or IS Puppy's kernel upgrade for a given distro be this easy?"

Are there some steps somewhere to do this OR is there a Menu>Setup item that will do the same thing?

Wondering for any distro where the distro author provides multiple kernels for his release version.

James C

Re: Changing a kernel for a specific distro - Is there a HOW TO?

#2 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote:I saw this and wondered "Can or IS Puppy's kernel upgrade for a given distro be this easy?"

Are there some steps somewhere to do this OR is there a Menu>Setup item that will do the same thing?

Wondering for any distro where the distro author provides multiple kernels for his release version.
It's certainly not as quick or easy to change kernels in Puppy as it is in other distros. I installed a newer Liquorix kernel in a Debian Testing install yesterday (replaced a pae kernel) and it was just a couple of commands in the terminal.

Regarding multiple kernels, this might be of interest...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 254#688254

It has both kernels on the cd, starts with a stock Slacko kernel but after install it's possible to change to a newer kernel.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

@James C and myself are one of the those who run LIve media systems with save sessions. (We certainly do a lot of helpful testing of distro this way, as well.) And, there are many members, I'm sure, who find value in using Live media to boot and run systems.

I know Puppy has a standard for building its ISOs. But, I have ofter wondered whether a boot manager of GRUB4DOS would be suited for distro builders which could allow 2 different kernels to exist on the CD/DVD with the user selecting, at boot time, which he preferred to boot.

So far, I would like to know if someone of us would be helpful in doing 2 things for community use:
  1. describe how to use GRUB4DOS to make an ISO for Live media booting
  2. minimal instructions on how to add a 2 kernel set to the ISO for GRUB4DOS menu selection
Shinobar presented a WARY; named QuickSET, several years ago but never explained how he accomplished the boot manager switch to GRUB4DOS.

Questions
  1. Could ISOmaster be used to do this? Is there a write up somewhere?
  2. Wondering if distro developers would find value in this?
I sure there may be some shortcomings that exist otherwise this multi-kernel would have been employed using GRUB4DOS earlier in Puppyland.

Here to help

Q5sys

Re: Changing a kernel for a specific distro - Is there a HOW TO?

#4 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:I saw this and wondered "Can or IS Puppy's kernel upgrade for a given distro be this easy?"

in the past puppy builders have released upgraded kernels in pet format. but in most cases this doesnt happen. it comes down to the fundamental issue that we keep dealing with.
old stable release for older hardware that 'just works' vs. latest and greatest.