How to install Calibre e:books?

Booting, installing, newbie
LeithR

#1 Post by LeithR »

I'm trying to download the Calibre ebooks program from
http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
The command they recommend is shown below:

sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main()"

When I try it I get the following error message:
bash: sudo: command not found
Reading details on the calibre web page they talk about the command working in Ubuntu
How can I modify the above command to work with Puppy Linux please?

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

In puppy you are root, so no need for sudo.

LeithR

#3 Post by LeithR »

hi there muggins, thanks for your response, your suggestion didn't work either, now its saying:
"bash: python: command not found"

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Puppy doesn't come with Python installed because it's a big program. Python is available as an add-on, either a .pet or .sfs file, I don't know which because I've never used it.

Which Puppy are you using, how are you using it (full install, frugal install, etc..) and how much RAM have you?

Monsie

#5 Post by Monsie »

LeithR,

One of our Community members put together a sfs package for Calibre and it is available here. You could ask jrb which version of Python is needed and whether it is included with his package, or it you have to download it separately. This version would be highly recommended for its ease of setting up if you are running a frugal install of one of the newer Puppies...

hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.