What the...? Programs freezing up/disappearing

Booting, installing, newbie
paullecorde

What the...? Programs freezing up/disappearing

#1 Post by paullecorde »

Does anyone else have trouble with programs freezing up? As in the program, the mouse, the keyboard, nothing will respond...... In Windows ctrl+alt+del gives you the task master so you can close a frozen program. If there anything similar in Linux or do I just have to turn the computer off and restart. I am assuming this is an issue of not having enough memory or something. I have 128MB ram.

Also, I have had instances where a program just closes and disappears. Is this common?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: What the...? Programs freezing up/disappearing

#2 Post by Flash »

paullecorde wrote:<> In Windows ctrl+alt+del gives you the task master so you can close a frozen program. If there anything similar in Linux or do I just have to turn the computer off and restart. I am assuming this is an issue of not having enough memory or something. I have 128MB ram.

Also, I have had instances where a program just closes and disappears. Is this common?
If the mouse cursor still responds, there is a kill button in the top right corner of the screen. Click it, then click in the window of the offending program to kill it. Or, try Start->Control Panel->KP manage running processes. Double click on a running process to kill it. As with Windows, you'll have to guess which to kill.

As for a program spontaneously quitting in Puppy, that's a new on on me.

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Yes, I do have the problem with the computer freezing up. In my case it is because the AGP video card gets ever so slightly unseated.

I've not found anything in particular with Puppy that causes the computer to freeze. If you have ongoing problems and can't figure it out, you might try reseating your chips and cards.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#4 Post by nduanetesh »

The only time I have ever seen puppy freeze was in the 1.0.1 and earlier versions when I used to try to get the puppy modem wizard to detect my (true hardware) modem. I'm not sure what puppy didn't like about it, but attempting to probe the correct port with the wizard would freeze the entire operating system and nothing would happen until I did a hard reboot. This problem has beel cleared up since 1.0.2, though.

I have seen some spontaneously closing programs, but it turned out that my pup001 file was corrupt and was screwing something up. I deleted the pup file and started with a fresh one and everything has been great.

Generally, I have found puppy to be tremendously reliable.

ND