Package Manager disappeared Puppy Slacko 5.3.3

Booting, installing, newbie
ardianos

Package Manager disappeared Puppy Slacko 5.3.3

#1 Post by ardianos »

Hi!

I just got this same problem as refered here and would greatly appreciate some help: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75649

I've been using Slacko 5.3.3 installed in my hard disk for about a month and have had some problems with the flash player and, paradoxically, while the problem solved itself simply by installing firefox, I now can't open the Puppy Package Manager.

The last two things I did were: installing VLC (which required me to install some other package) and using a file menu option in slickpet that say's "clear downloaded packages". After rebooting my computer I realized VLC isn't there and the package manager doesn't run, it just flashes a yellow box. The installation process for VLC did finish successfully, but I never got to use it.

The slickpet application still works. There's an option in slickpet to update the Puppy Package Manager and it apparently works, but it doesn't help.

From the console, I ran "ppm" and got this:
** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 44, near token '</default>': syntax error
aborting...

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me, thanks!

ardianos

#2 Post by ardianos »

I just found both packages I downloaded with the Puppy Package Manager and apparently they're just sitting there, in my root directory. They are: qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.3-i686.pet
vlc-2.0.0-s-i486.pet

The rest of the packages I downloaded with the slickpet. I guess the PPM wasn't even working in the first place

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Ardianos- Welcome!.. You need :wink: this here *Mick* bomb..

ardianos

#4 Post by ardianos »

That did it, Semme! The error was in a different line of command, but the patch worked like magic. Up and running again!!!!

The pet fixes my problem and, at least, some similar ones affecting the Puppy Program manager (ppm) like the following:

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 30, near token '</vbox>': syntax error

The pet that fixes these and other similar errors is: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 479#626479

I still have some reading and playing to do before getting a hang of puppy (and linux). I've used ubuntu and fedora, but ever since I discovered Puppy Dingo some years ago I loved it.

Thanks a lot for your help! :) I hope this helps other people

nf210708

#5 Post by nf210708 »

:D yes!!.. i solved the problem,thanks everyones...