Startup folder - what order of actions?[Solved]

Using applications, configuring, problems
greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote:Nothing. But you may find that your conscience will get the better of you.
Dammit. (cue sound of palm slapping forehead.) Just spent half an hour trying to work out what was happening with my startup script then realised I had renamed it with spaces in the name. Doh!

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote:It would be helpful if you let us know what you want to start. There are more ways to start programs than the startup folder but they may depend on what else they need running to start.
One of the things I want to do is run a script to connect wireless in pUPnGO. I've got it working by placing my script in /startup but was hoping to get it actioned earlier during the boot.
http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... &start=136
You mentioned the rc.local file but this pUPnGO does not seem to have one.

Any suggestions about where to put the wireless script so as to connect early but without undue risk?

Keef

#18 Post by Keef »

greengeek

pupngo does have rc.local in etc/rc.d/

I start my own wifi startup script from there and it works fine.

(you might be being tricked by the icon!)

8-bit

#19 Post by 8-bit »

As an alternative to using spaces in a file name, if your point is for easy identification of the file, why not use the underline character in place of the space?

I have seen instances of when using a space that it gets changed to %20 in the filename when it is accessed.

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

Keef wrote:pupngo does have rc.local in etc/rc.d/
I start my own wifi startup script from there and it works fine.
Oh yeah. Duh. How'd i miss that?? Any chance of posting your rc.local in the pupngo2012 topic so I can work out where best to put my script? cheers

@8-bit:Underscore sounds good. Will do. Making long descriptive filenames with spaces is a bad habit of mine unfortunately. Thx.