Running a Debian Installation ISO from Puppy? Can it be done

Using applications, configuring, problems
ocpaul20

Running a Debian Installation ISO from Puppy? Can it be done

#1 Post by ocpaul20 »

DPup, full install, lenovo laptop N220 (32bit centrino)

I wonder if anyone can help me? Long story not quite so long...

I am running on a laptop without a writable DVD drive and I want to install a debian-like system because my PC at home is Debian Squeeze.

DPup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12
-------------------------------
I have tried DPup Exprimo 5X3412 and put it successfully onto a USB stick, and done a full install from there.

However, I am having real problems using it with python as this is essential for me.
I have copied in the devx sfs so I have gcc Python 2.66 etc but now I want to install pip python package manager so that I can load other python modules like requests and wxPython etc etc.

However, although the PPM version installs pip without issue, I cannot get pip to run correctly. I get a message which says "from pip.log import logger" ImportError: "no module named pip.log" when I try to install requests and other modules. I have tried uninstalling the PPM version of pip and downloading and installing from the pip website but I have problems that way too.

Debian Squeeze 6.06
---------------------------
So finally, I am thinking to try downloading the Debian Squeeze 32bit ISO and somehow put it onto a memory stick or boot from the ISO on disk.

Can I just do some kind of raw copy (using dd) on to a USB and install from there, or can I mount the ISO directly (booting puppy from memory stick into ram to have a working linux system) then starting the Debian installation process on the ISO from a different partition on the hard disk?

I had a look yesterday and tried running the Puppy universal installer, then copying all the debian iso files onto the USB but that had compatibility issues and all I got was a very unhelpful "boot error" message and no boot.

Re-reading my question, it sounds like it cannot be done but I had the impression Puppy could run an ISO - is that correct?

Any ideas what I can do please?

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

As far as I'm aware running on one distro on top of another would require virtualization-
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Virtualizat ... nformation

---

Also as far as I know, Debian usually require a Linux partition to be installed to. So you could have some dual boot arrangement with Debian and Puppy. Or there is the Debian live project, which can run from USB http://live.debian.net/project/about/

---

Finally, Pussy Linux could be your ideal solution. It is a cut down version Debian that is 'Puppified', and it is 100% compatible with apt-get
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PussyLinux

:twisted:

ocpaul20

#3 Post by ocpaul20 »

Hi Darkcity,
Thanks for your reply. I think what I am looking for is a way of discarding the initrc.gz and just having the normal system on a usb.

If I can do that then I make the usb boot and then instead of mounting the initrc.gz file, it would continue with init script etc.

Once the syslinux part is done, I could then copy the file system /etc /usr and all the other linux directories onto the usb and I would have a complete booting system.

My problem at the moment seems to be that I have some parts from one system using a particular kernel and some parts from another using a different kernel and the two do not match.

Actually, as you suggested, I tried pussy and it worked fine as far as it went. I downloaded the image file, copied it to a usb stick and booted and it was fine. I installed some debian packages and somehow assumed it would ask me for a save file when I shutdown. Unfortunately I did not realise that the save file is a manual system the first time, but it is there and I assume it works OK.

If I can get Slacko 533 to install wxpython correctly, then I think I will stay with that until I get home in March.

Thanks for your help.

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

Sounds like you have a more in depth knowledge of the boot procedure than me.

---

Don't if you're seen this about wxpython on Slacko

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 361#630361

sunburnt

#5 Post by sunburnt »

Grub will boot ISO files directly I believe, this would seem to be the proper way to do it.

Puppy`s not needed as one Linux distro. can`t boot another except for virtually.
And installing a distro. virtually is really going into unknown territory.

proebler

#6 Post by proebler »

A round-about way.
Get a Debian-LIve iso, then use Puppy to put the iso 's content on an USB flash drive and run it on the laptop.
Once running, some live systems then allow you to install. I don't know if that is the case with Debian.
I'm writing this from a live Mint on USB, it shows an Install icon on the desktop.
I also use Grub4dos on the USB. Here are two examples from it's menu.lst:

title Linux-Mint12-LXDE ('live "CD"' [sdb2])
root (hd0,1)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz #file=/preseed/preseed.mint boot=casper ro
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

title Linux-Ubuntu12.04-Unity ('live "CD"' [sdb2])
root (hd0,0)
kernel /12.04/casper/vmlinuz file=/12.04/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/12.04/ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso splash --
initrd /12.04/casper/initrd.lz

A bit of experimentation may be needed to get the menu.lst entry to work.
I found, that for Mint the kernel line does not need file=/preseed/preseed.mint boot=casper ro.

Link for the Debian LXDE version:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... esktop.iso

cheers
proebler

Ray MK

#7 Post by Ray MK »

@ocpaul20
JFYI - there is a puppy feature known as 'underdog'

it allows you to sit an underdog equipped puppy on top of most
conventionally installed disto's and run prog's etc. via the puppy.

do a google search for 'puppy linux underdog' and loads of info comes up. Note, 'the return of underdog'.

I've never used it - but it looks very interesting.

If I recall correctly - conventional menu may not work - but
apparently, all terminal entry commands do work.

HTH - and have fun - regards Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

ocpaul20

#8 Post by ocpaul20 »

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I will need to spend some time and investigate this further. I have not dug into kernel boot parameters but I think this may be a new learning experience for me. :-)