Why is my save file filling up? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
RaptureWatcher

Why is my save file filling up? (Solved)

#1 Post by RaptureWatcher »

i'm using the internet and each time the auto save comes on to save RAM into my pupfile my space just decreases, how can i stop Puppy from eating up my storage space? i keep having to add more storage to my pupsave file and it quickly disappears on my next session?

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

hi RaptureWatcher,

it's probably your browser cache filling up... to check go to , Menu>>>Filesystem>>Gdmap

when gdmap starts press open, then open again. This then scans /root/ and will show what's taking up space. Moving the cursor over the blocks will show file names , sizes and location.

now you know what is eating up space (i suspect your browser cache) you can move it onto you harddrive and symlink it back . here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkvXafoPWwA

doing this moves it outside the savefile
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

...as a note:

The savefile is a sort of very detailed changelog. It lists the changes one has made to Puppy's filesystem over time, in such a way that these changes can be reapplied on bootup, so that you don't lose anything. When you add a file to anywhere other than /mnt/home, it is placed into the savefile at shutdown, in such a way that Puppy knows where to put it on the next boot. When you delete a file (again, from anywhere other than /mnt/home), out it goes from the savefile. If it weren't for the savefile, it would be like typing pfix=ram at every boot -- there would be no persistence.

That's how that nifty thing works. It's a fancy changelog.

---

So it sounds like something is making a lot of filesystem changes (this can be as simple as adding lots of files). My guess is that 666philb is right, and you're using a browser that has a filesystem-based cache (Firefox is frequently guilty of this!). Deactivate the cache, and find and delete the old cache files, and you should be A-OK.

Or, if you've got a nicely cavernous hard drive (upwards of 80gb I would say) and you're not using much of it... see what happens when you relocate your browser's cache to /mnt/home. (Full disclosure: I've no idea whether or not that's advisable. It's just a thought that occurred to me.)

Good luck -- and do keep us posted!

ravensrest

#4 Post by ravensrest »

Email can also take up a lot of space if you don't delete old mail. I routinely move my entire .mozilla directory to a separate partition with lots of room on it to keep the pupsave file from growing due to internet use. Link the relocated file back to your root directory with a link named ".mozilla" and (if you are using Seamonkey) it will perform as you are accustomed to but all the caching and email files will be in the linked location and your pupsave file will no longer grow because of them.

Another benefit of this approach is that if you use multiple versions of Puppy as I do, they can all share the same internet and email files.
BS

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

A good read on this subject here.

RaptureWatcher

#6 Post by RaptureWatcher »

666philb wrote:
it's probably your browser cache filling up...
That's what it was!

i deleted my cache and got something like 150MB back into my personal storage after reboot :D