Is there a volume balance control for Slacko?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Chili Dog

Is there a volume balance control for Slacko?

#1 Post by Chili Dog »

Hi there,

I installed Xubuntu on my laptop, and all of a sudden the volume is way louder, and I was like "cool". Next thing you know I've got a blown speaker or something that buzzes all the time.

So now I've switched to Slacko, and I was wondering if there was some way I could channel all of the sound to one speaker so that I don't hear all that noise all the time. But so far I haven't been able to find a way to do that.

I have VLC installed, if that helps...

capicoso

#2 Post by capicoso »

I'm not sure if Slacko has alsamixer, i suppose it does. Type in terminal alsamixer . There you have sliders for each channel, input, ouput, etc. Master is, well the main mix volume. Then you have headphone and speaker and those are stereo, can be panned. With q you increase left channel, with e you increase right channel, with w both channels.

Chili Dog

#3 Post by Chili Dog »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it has alsamixer. The only ones I can lower are "PCM" "CD" and "beep", and lowering those seems to have no effect. "Master" just says "00" and can't be changed.

Typing q or e doesn't do anything. :(

EDIT: Ok, q and e work for PCM, but PCM has no effect. Not really what I was hoping for anyway - I wanted the right audio channel output sent to the left speaker along with the left channel output.

capicoso

#4 Post by capicoso »

Hmm, with TAB you can change to more sliders, maybe they're on another screen. Also check that your soundcard is selected. But anyways i misunderstood your quetsion. Now i see what you want. I don't know how to do it with alsa. I would do it with Jack, but you have to be running jack driver(i don't know if you heard about it?). It's mainly used for music production, mastering, etc. But VLC can be used with JACK. If VLC is the only program you care to route it like you want then i could tell you how to do it. But i didn't try with webbrowsers, i know it's possible to use jack with them...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Retrovol has lots of controls. I can't find a balance slider, but maybe I don't know what I'm doing. :lol: