Can't make WINE work!

Using applications, configuring, problems
don922

Can't make WINE work!

#1 Post by don922 »

Puppy: 3-Headed Dog - lucilibre-001.005.iso -- frugal install
WINE: from the Quickpet in that Puppy, ie, wine-1.3.6-i486-sfs4.sfs
Programs: PC Study Bible, The Ultimate Bible, and John Macarthur's Electronic Bible Study Library

I have tried to install all 3 of these windows 3.1 programs with WINE and none of them will install or run. The farthest these programs get in the installation process is to make a directory in root/.wine/drive_c. These directories either have a blank file, a small text file or an empty directory.

When I tried to install these programs from the terminal I got one or more of these error messages:

Code: Select all

fixme:toolhelp:InterruptRegister16 (0000, 0x11cf00ba), stub.

fixme:toolhelp:InterruptRegister16 (0000, 0x13f700ba), stub.

fixme:toolhelp:InterruptUnRegister16 (0000), stub.

fixme:toolhelp:InterruptUnRegister16 (0000), stub.

The program winevdm.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.
I have spent a lot of time on this and I can't make it work. If anyone has a solution please tell me. All three of these programs ran well in Windows 98.

At this point I have about given up and I want to remove WINE and ALL of it's parts and the programs I have tried to install. I need some guidance on how to get rid of everything concerning WINE.
Last edited by don922 on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

See my post:
winefile error displayed in terminal, in Slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI
When I run the winefile command in a console window I get scrolling lines of "fixme" errors that continue without end.
All 3 or 4 versions of WINE I've tried in Slacko display the same problem.
I've uninstalled it and reported the problem in the feedback thread for Slacko-5.3.3.

WINE is working OK in my Racy-5.3, Wine-1.1.39 version.

Peterm321

#3 Post by Peterm321 »

don922 wrote:I have spent a lot of time on this and I can't make it work. If anyone has a solution please tell me. All three of these programs ran well in Windows 98.

At this point I have about given up and I want to remove WINE and ALL of it's parts and the programs I have tried to install. I need some guidance on how to get rid of everything concerning WINE.
I can be of little help, those programs I havent tried. Perhaps I can make a brief comment before you give up and remove WINE.

There is a WINEDEBUG environment variable which you can set to various options to debug programs but you may not want to hear about that as it would take a lot of time and patience(output on the terminal window can be very verbose). The fixme messages may be warnings rather than critical errors. Many programs produce fixme messages and will still run, Stubs frequently are quickly written APIs in WINE that mostly return a decent enough value to allow the program to continue.

You mentioned Windows 98 and Windows 3.1 and that may give an idea that the WINE version might be adjusted by WINECFG to Windows 98 or 3.1 see if that works. This can be done by calling up the program WINECFG and selecting the applications tab, and clicking the drop down list. (see screendump attachment).

[img]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=58581][/img]

It should also be noted that some of the puppy linux kernels disable access to low memory and therefore this may possibly impact on certain 16 bit Windows 3.1 programs. To see if this applies to your kernel, try

Code: Select all

sysctl -e vm.mmap_min_addr
If it states something like:

vm.mmap_min_addr = 4096

it may be worth setting it to 0 to see if this fixes the issue. This kernel setting is reported to enhance security. 32 bit programs are not said to need to access this memory and hence run normally.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-861707.html

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4713701

If the above doesnt fix then maybe a search of the winehq.org site for the specific programs used and see if any related solutions.
Attachments
SCRDUMP.PNG
WINECFG
(24.78 KiB) Downloaded 712 times

2byte

#4 Post by 2byte »

Windows 3.1 programs are DOS apps. You don't want to use wine for these. I have had the best luck using dosemu (for applications) or dosbox (for games) with Lupu511.

HTH

Smithy

#5 Post by Smithy »

Hi don, I think Ol' Yeller does a Bible Time/Manna Pup Distro, maybe it has all the resources that you require?

I am waiting for Amish Pup, that includes carriage wheel and chassis repair manual.

hayden

WINE is the wrong program

#6 Post by hayden »

I have run Win 3.1 on Linux in DOS Box. The site where I got instructions seems to have disappeared but there are others (which I have not tried myself). Then install the games.