Do I need to worry if SeaMonkey is out of date?

For discussions about security.
Barkin

#16 Post by Barkin »

tallboy wrote:... I simply close the Firefox, and then open a new, fresh one, and all old info is cleared. No need to reboot.
a malware add-on [extention] for FireFox would survive closing the browser but would not survive rebooting the live CD.

www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/invisible-firefox-extensions

tallboy

#17 Post by tallboy »

In 2009, Symantec wrote:To solve this issue, the Mozilla developers have now decided to remove this capability and only load their own core components in Firefox 3.6 and beyond. This should prevent malicious add-ons from using this method in the future, but unfortunately this is not the only trick they can use.
Good thing I use good old version 3.6, then! :lol:

Seriously, there are always someone that find a new way to spy, but eliminating ~90% of the possibilities is OK by me.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

mttdd

#18 Post by mttdd »

Thanks everyone for the great tips and input. I feel pretty good about going with the Live CD. (Closing the browser between sessions is a common practice for me as well.)
cthisbear wrote:Yikes.
Ha ha. Yeah. I was really only using that HP Pavilion as a test. I might pick up something more on the efficient side to keep around for live CD booting.
Last edited by mttdd on Mon 22 Oct 2012, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

tallboy

#19 Post by tallboy »

I might pick up something more on the efficient side to keep around for live CD booting.
Not necessary to spend a lot of money on that! The beauty of any puppy on a live CD/DVD, is that you can use any PC with enough memory to boot and run! Have fun! :lol:

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.