Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 09:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How do I do swap; driver for Netextreme Ethernet BCM5751?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
prashphutita

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2005, 22:20    Post_subject:  How do I do swap; driver for Netextreme Ethernet BCM5751?  

Greetings Everyone,

Over the past few months, I have downloaded almost 30 different Linux distros, in an effort to find something which (a) works; (b) is fast on old hardware; and, (c) has a good selection of apps. This is to load on donated hardware which will be sent to a needy South Pacific nation. I now have a CD case full of live CDs, and... an IT manager at work who has put a big "flag" against my name for excessive Internet usage!

I did eventually succeed in getting Puppy V1.0.3 fully functional on a Pentium II, 400MHz. This has 128MB RAM, so I still need to test on the "standard" configuration PC, which comes with only 64MB of RAM.

*** I understand that I'll need to create a swap partition, but I'm not sure about exactly how to do that. If someone can give me a few pointers, that'd be appreciated. Thank-you.

A big Thank-You to everyone involved with the Puppy project; especially Barry: you are a genius! I liked Puppy so much that I want to get it working also for myself. After nearly 10 years on the same old hardware (32MB RAM), I recently bought a Pentium IV (umm, slightly more RAM).

My big remaining problem is getting Ethernet working on a Gigabyte PCI Express GA-8I915P Duo (Pro). Puppy seems to correctly detect the two Ethernet Controllers as being "Broadcom Corporation NetExtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet (rev. 1)". Puppy then selects the "Airo" module after I choose an Auto Probe. This, however, doesn't work. Nor do any of the other drivers I manually select.

*** Help! Any ideas/ suggestions, please? Thank-you in advance.

P.S. I continue to check Puppy News religiously every day, and am eagerly awaiting the release of Puppy V1.0.4 Love your work, Barry & Co.

Prashphutita (Melbourne, Australia)
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2005, 23:14    Post_subject: Re: How do I do swap; driver for Netextreme Ethernet BCM5751  

prashphutita wrote:
<> My big remaining problem is getting Ethernet working on a Gigabyte PCI Express GA-8I915P Duo (Pro). Puppy seems to correctly detect the two Ethernet Controllers as being "Broadcom Corporation NetExtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet (rev. 1)". Puppy then selects the "Airo" module after I choose an Auto Probe. This, however, doesn't work. Nor do any of the other drivers I manually select.
The exact same motherboard as this post.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum