How do I do swap; driver for Netextreme Ethernet BCM5751?

Booting, installing, newbie
prashphutita

How do I do swap; driver for Netextreme Ethernet BCM5751?

#1 Post by prashphutita »

Greetings Everyone,

Over the past few months, I have downloaded almost 30 different Linux distros, in an effort to find something which (a) works; (b) is fast on old hardware; and, (c) has a good selection of apps. This is to load on donated hardware which will be sent to a needy South Pacific nation. I now have a CD case full of live CDs, and... an IT manager at work who has put a big "flag" against my name for excessive Internet usage!

I did eventually succeed in getting Puppy V1.0.3 fully functional on a Pentium II, 400MHz. This has 128MB RAM, so I still need to test on the "standard" configuration PC, which comes with only 64MB of RAM.

*** I understand that I'll need to create a swap partition, but I'm not sure about exactly how to do that. If someone can give me a few pointers, that'd be appreciated. Thank-you.

A big Thank-You to everyone involved with the Puppy project; especially Barry: you are a genius! I liked Puppy so much that I want to get it working also for myself. After nearly 10 years on the same old hardware (32MB RAM), I recently bought a Pentium IV (umm, slightly more RAM).

My big remaining problem is getting Ethernet working on a Gigabyte PCI Express GA-8I915P Duo (Pro). Puppy seems to correctly detect the two Ethernet Controllers as being "Broadcom Corporation NetExtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet (rev. 1)". Puppy then selects the "Airo" module after I choose an Auto Probe. This, however, doesn't work. Nor do any of the other drivers I manually select.

*** Help! Any ideas/ suggestions, please? Thank-you in advance.

P.S. I continue to check Puppy News religiously every day, and am eagerly awaiting the release of Puppy V1.0.4 Love your work, Barry & Co.
Kindest Regards,

Prashphutita (Melbourne, Australia)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: How do I do swap; driver for Netextreme Ethernet BCM5751

#2 Post by Flash »

prashphutita wrote:<> My big remaining problem is getting Ethernet working on a Gigabyte PCI Express GA-8I915P Duo (Pro). Puppy seems to correctly detect the two Ethernet Controllers as being "Broadcom Corporation NetExtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet (rev. 1)". Puppy then selects the "Airo" module after I choose an Auto Probe. This, however, doesn't work. Nor do any of the other drivers I manually select.
The exact same motherboard as this post.