GTK+ development configuration

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
seaside

#16 Post by seaside »

captnemo wrote:Solved the markdown format problem.

There is now a repo on Github that contains a readme file and the C source code for the NoteSelect gizmo.

Not sure exactly how to refer to it. I suppose it's https://github.com/shuttersparks/NoteSelect (?)

I must say that Github is one of the most opaque and unfriendly contraptions I've ever run into.

Please let me know if the above reference to the repo is incorrect.
captnemo,

Good work.

I downloaded and compiled the source and all is working as you mentioned.

Thanks for making it available.

Cheers,
s
(Be nice to have shortcut keys for menu items :) )

technosaurus

#17 Post by technosaurus »

captnemo wrote:I must say that Github is one of the most opaque and unfriendly contraptions I've ever run into
... And slow too, do they really need flash for every commit info button? Damn web programmers. ( I say tongue in cheek as that is my current bent of the week )
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

captnemo

#18 Post by captnemo »

seaside wrote:
captnemo wrote: (Be nice to have shortcut keys for menu items :) )
Yes indeed! Funny you should mention that because that's a major thing for me. The main reason I've not implemented any "accelerators" or shortcuts is I'm still thinking about exactly how I want to do it. I want to get close to how InfoSelect worked (fast single character keyboard commands to do everything) and still keep use of the mouse. (With DOS InfoSelect, there was no mouse, of course.)

Here's a rough description of how I envision it working at the moment: There are two modes, mouse(?) and command. If you use only the mouse you never get into command mode, you do it all with the pointing device. To get into command mode you hit ESCape. In command mode, hitting N creates a new note, hitting D deletes a note, E drops you into edit on the currently selected note, R resizes, S saves, F finds, etc. Navigation among notes is done with TAB, backTAB, and arrow keys.

Exactly how to do the above is still a thought experiment. There probably needs to be a mode indicator somewhere.

For maximum speed and efficiency (for a good typist) it's best if you don't have to remove your hands from the keyboard and mess with a mouse or pointing device. InfoSelect was like that. Once you got the hang of it, it was extremely fast to use. I'd like to implement something like that for NoteSelect yet keep the mouse interface as well.

I'm glad to hear that Git worked. As you can see, the program is rude and crude but shows the idea of the thing. :lol:

seaside

#19 Post by seaside »

captnemo wrote:
seaside wrote:
captnemo wrote: (Be nice to have shortcut keys for menu items :) )
Here's a rough description of how I envision it working at the moment: There are two modes, mouse(?) and command. If you use only the mouse you never get into command mode, you do it all with the pointing device. To get into command mode you hit ESCape. In command mode, hitting N creates a new note, hitting D deletes a note, E drops you into edit on the currently selected note, R resizes, S saves, F finds, etc. Navigation among notes is done with TAB, backTAB, and arrow keys.

Exactly how to do the above is still a thought experiment. There probably needs to be a mode indicator somewhere.

For maximum speed and efficiency (for a good typist) it's best if you don't have to remove your hands from the keyboard and mess with a mouse or pointing device. InfoSelect was like that. Once you got the hang of it, it was extremely fast to use. I'd like to implement something like that for NoteSelect yet keep the mouse interface as well.

I'm glad to hear that Git worked. As you can see, the program is rude and crude but shows the idea of the thing. :lol:
captnemo,

Not much more thinking required. Coming from the "touch-type" perspective, an "Alt-Ctrl-F" is not exactly a combination to look forward to, or any mouse operation either.

Cheers,
s
(I didn't find your program in the least bit "rude", at all :) )