a puppy i would like to see

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
cretsiah

a puppy i would like to see

#1 Post by cretsiah »

Although this puppy might sound similar to mpdpup, Im not sure it would be exactly the same as i dont want it to be a server as such.

what it must have:
- All audio codec types
- All video codec types
- Java ability (due to the need of some websites that i/my kids visit) must be updatable. can require upto 256mgs of ram to run
- Flash ability (due to the need of some websites that i/my kids visit) some of the video/audio files require flash to play, must be updatable. can require upto 256mgs of ram to run

Preference to using/having VLC with the above as "includes"(except maybe java).

auto detect of audio sound system with test sound to be played (due to some hardware being recognised but not usable -even when un-muted)

ethernet and wifi ability with wpa2 ability ( i want it to set it up on a computer that only has a wifi connection).

gparted preferably with all filesystems (this includes ext4 and windows file systems) recognisable.

conky with at least cpu, ram, partition (rather than drive usage), time/date?

personal organiser (time/date and calender) but only if not using time/date in conky

web browser preference is opera however may need firefox/sea monkey as backup.

may require second user due to some irc chats not allowing root.

rox only:
rox set-up there would be:
using pinboard rather than the start menu option
- icon for off
- icon for reboot
- icon for videos (on system) icon represents a partition on hd
- icon for music (on system) icon represents a partition on hd
- icon for network shares (within local network)
- icon for youtube
- icon for other internet streams
may require:
- icon to add new video and/or audio files (this would allow drag n drop, copy to the specified partitions.
- icon to add new other internet streams
- icon to add new youtube favourites

hotplug (at least i think thats what it is called) functions:
- auto launch dvd
- auto launch audio cd
- auto mount usb drives (with options)
a) just view files/folders (then play at your leisure), b)find and copy all video and audio files to local system into appropiate partition. c)select specific folders to copy into appropiate partition, (ie kids cartoons, kid friendly music - this may mean re-organising your files into folders b4 in-putting to this system.)

wireless keyboard and mouse support

install options:
frugal or hardrive (live-cd doable however you may not want to go hunting the cd down if there was a powerout).

choices about hard drive options:
a) find un-used space b)use whole hard drive

frugal: requires smaller hd space than a full install, so smallest possible partition for it plus boot, rest of hard drive split into 3/4 partitions A)10gig for file transfers from other local networked computers (this writable/readable but not executable), B)swap partition (if needed) depends on ram size, C) partition named Video (probably need to be 80% due to the size of video's and depends on how big the hard drive you have), D)partition named Audio (about 20% of remaining hardrive space, depends on size of drive and whether you have more music than video files). E) youtube/internet partition

Full: smallest possible partition for it plus boot, rest of hard drive split into 3/4 partitions
A)10gig for file transfers from other local networked computers (this writable/readable but not executable),
B)swap partition (if needed) depends on ram size,
C) partition named Video (probably need to be 80% due to the size of video's and depends on how big the hard drive you have), made readable and executable but not writable..
D)partition named Audio (about 20% of remaining hardrive space, depends on size of drive and whether you have more music than video files). made readable and executable but not writable.
E) youtube/internet partition

how VLC is to operate:
-DVD or Audio cd ( auto launch disc and either kill instance of vlc via the close button or upon ejection of disc).
- Video icon to launch VLC in http protocol (web browser mode) on local machine and present the list of files in the partition.
-Audio icon to launch VLC in http protocol (web browser mode) on local machine and present the list of files in the partition.
- youtube icon to launch VLC in http protocol (web browser mode) on local machine and present the list of files in the partition. (list of files would be in txt document with web addresses, so it would present the list of web addresses).
- Interent icon to launch VLC in http protocol (web browser mode) on local machine and present the list of files in the partition. (list of files would be in txt document with web addresses, so it would present the list of web addresses).

lazy man scripts:
1) check current partitions on drive to see how many mgs/gigs is taken up by known video and audio file formats.
2) check if there is enough unused space to copy them to a new partition.
3)create partitions then copy video and audio files to the partitions.
4) option script -resize the partitions if going for a puppy only box.
5) check local network for network shares with video and audio files -option script a)add to network shares icon, b) if space is available offer to copy files from the network shares to the local system and add to appropiate partition. - dependant on size of files to be transfered offer to do the copying process at a designated time (ie while your sleeping).
6) script asking if you want to set-up your youtube and other internet streams services - under youtube this would be a couple of txt files with say comedy.txt, video.txt, audio.txt (each text file would be basically a playlist. - under other internet streams the txt files might be say radio.txt, tv.txt
7) script that checks the file transfer partition, then cuts and pastes the files apppropiately to each partition ie video files to video partition, audio to audio partition, adds web addresses from files transfered to the playlist under youtube or other internet streams...

I dont know how easy this would be or if its possible, i just know i dont have the programming ability to do it..

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
90% of what you want is just setup for any Puppy..
Most of the other, like scripting ideas, is easy, but a few points:
Autoresizing of partitions, after they have been created and used, can cause corruption.
Audio and Vidio drivers are machine specific, may need individual setup per machine.
The rest can be accomplished thru bash.

Getting started:
What machines, what Puppy?
PAE, or not? +/- 4 gb ram?
Intel, ATI, NVidia graphics?
How big a HDD, are you willing to repartition it for this project?

Find a Puppy withOpera and VLC included, and your`e half way there...
But both are available thru the PPM..
The scripts/icons we tackle one at a time... 8)
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

p310don

#3 Post by p310don »

delete

cretsiah

#4 Post by cretsiah »

Getting started:
What machines, what Puppy?
generally machines of 266mhz cpu or higher (for those happen to be lucky enough to have a 64-bit machine 64-bit ability would be good)
however where cpu is lower would suggest a higher video card would be required..
example: (done with a V4.0 puppy official release)
a 233/266mhz gateway with a 32mg video card could play avi, older style cartoons seemed ok but newer computer generated cartoons had frame/ jerkyness issues. in this case a 64mg video card probably would have sold the problem.
dvd's were a little bit more of a hit n miss affair, think this may of had to do with extra euipment being used (only had 384mgs of ram) as in the dvd player.

PAE, or not? +/- 4 gb ram?
- sorry not really sure what PAE is so cant really tell you about that.
my recommended minimum ram would be 512mgs, however this may not account for some wifi adapters (their requirements can range anything from 32mgs upto 128mgs of ram on windows systems, depends on their age, speed capabilities, capabilities in general, not sure how their linux drivers work in this regard.
-given the constant increase in ram needs by browsers:
a)this is an older test http://www.tested.com/news/feature/2420 ... nt-tested/
b) i believe the current ratings however suggest something along the lines of 256-512mgs for firefox and IE, 128-256mgs for opera and chrome and doesnt account for so many open/closed tabs as the older test.

so based on the idea that:
a) flash requires 128mgs
b) java requires 128mgs
c) wifi adapters can require upto 128mgs of ram (i have a usb dongle that says 64 - 256mgs of ram on a windows system).
d) puppy operating system needs ? (this is just desktop stage) and not using actual aplications.
e) VLC needs ? i dont know but usually found it less resource hungry than others (this however is only my opinion and not fact)

I would say a safer bet would be for minimum RAM recommendation of 768mgs.

Intel, ATI, NVidia graphics?
- given that this is for video and audio (basically an overly complex dvd player for lack of better terminology) I dont know what differences there would be having specific video card drivers... (maybe it would play higher def movies better i dont know).

as example above:
- 233/266mhz cpu
- 384 megs of ram
- audio - unknown what ever was in the gateway system at the time.
- 32mg (sis300) video card (using windows supposedly had a dvd accelerator dont know if this was usable under linux)
- 6-15gig hard drive.
- Xvesa gave better performance than Xorg normal (if that helps)
I think (given its been a good couple of yrs) i had created a 1gig swap partition.

How big a HDD, are you willing to repartition it for this project?
This would depend on the user, however i think anything under a 40gig drive would be kind of pointless, HOWEVER:
- a user might slap in some extra drives that they have lying around this would mean the possiblility of having full hard drives available.

me personally I have a couple of ide based hd, ranging between 120gig to 300gig in size

if its just an oversized dvd player why the need for flash?
- our local tv stations (free to air) have what is termed "catch-up TV" this allows you to watch an episode of a program you missed online rather than trying to set-up recording systems, however most of them are only viewable with flash.
whats the internet links for then?
1 of our local ISP's has decided to create a set-top box that allows you to watch such things like youtube on your tv rather than your computer however this is at a cost of $360 + a monthly cost, by utilising an older computer (cost = nothing) and having a proper keyboard rather than an older style mobile phone alphabet thing makes it easier to type addresses, search items.

what i dont need however is a)the pvr functionality that say mythtv provides or a media server, (samba type shares would do). b) by having the files on the local machine or plugged in via a usb drive, it reduces the chance of my isp wiping out my download limits (yes i think my file transfers actually come off of my download allowance due to the way the isp sets up the network). c) reduces network traffic on our local network so doesnt interfer with other users....
we regularly have upto 5 comps running. by the time you account for updates of various programs, OS, anti-virus, firewall, office applications, blah blah it starts to get a little congested....

cretsiah

#5 Post by cretsiah »

about VLC:

given the complaints at this link
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=97865

- it might be wiser to use an older version of VLC.
- rumor has it that vlc has an app to turn your phone into a remote, this could be useful/handy a)depending on how it works (ie via bluetooth), b)saves pulling out the corded keyboard and mouse to change selections.

about partitioning:

Autoresizing of partitions, after they have been created and used, can cause corruption.
yes this would possibly need to be interactive with the user somehow, for initial purposes could be just done the manual way via gparted or your prefered partitioner ie cfdisk, fdisk.
Given that as it is you would need the scripts to also, auto label the partitions for initial purposes you could do this manually.

Audio and Video drivers are machine specific, may need individual setup per machine.

instead of at users intervention, audio more so than video would need to happen either at boot time (this would lengthen boot time process) or after getting to desktop enviroment (preffered), testing of hardware and attempting to get right driver for the audio hardware with test sound file.
1 audio system that is a pain in the rear is the "realtek high definition" audio chipset .... i have not found a linux that can produce sound on it even if it recognises it, part of this issue maybe that it (cant remember where i found the info) comes up as a 64-bit arcitecture. ( see this link for more info http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/web/resourc ... 00100e.pdf )

however i would suggest that the audio drivers and video drivers (if required or wanted) are set-up similar to the wifi drivers in that each is/was modulised and only specific driver for required hardware is installed, this keeps main system size down.

WIFI:
on the version 4 puppy i used there was issues with saving the wifi connection settings either in frugal with save file or hard drive install, it was better to redo the wifi connection as in live-cd fashion without a save file, - i dont know if that was ever fixed or what actually caused it, there was some work arounds using rc.local with a special/basic written script.
also for certain wifi drivers you needed to download the pet drivers from various versions of puppy (starting around v2.14 i think that were not in the main build even by v4.0)

This may fatten the puppy some what, however with the removal of office apps, graphics apps, and other non needed applications it may not.

possible apps that maybe required:
- k9copy ( i believe a linux version of dvdshrink)
- music/video file format converter (needs to reliable without to much quality loss)
- handbrake (however have preference for saving in a non-mp4 type format as i still use non-mp4 compatible devices)
- k3b (used to have a handbrake type function in an older version dont kno if it still exists as i couldnt find it, it was better in the sense it could rip multiple session dvd's ie like tv series dvd's unlike handbrake).