Hey you all !

Testing Dvdauthoring Tools .

Want to report ......" Pdvdrsab DVD rip/shrink/author/burn "
seems not start/working in this puppy .

BarryK
Puppy Master

#347 Post by BarryK »

Precise 5.4.2 released

This has many bug-fixes and enhancements relative to 5.4 and 5.4.1, recommended to upgrade!

My blog announcement for 5.4.2:
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00049

Precise 5.4.2 has a new Forum thread for feedback. The thread that you are on now is for feedback on 5.4. Please go to this new thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 041#668041
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

backi

#348 Post by backi »

Hey you all !

Testing Dvdauthoring Tools .

Want to report ......" Pdvdrsab DVD rip/shrink/author/burn "
seems not start/working in this puppy .

Sorry the wrong place to post ...

This was meant for Upup precise 5.4.4 .

rodin.s

Midnight Commander menu entry.

#349 Post by rodin.s »

When installing Midnight Commander from PPM menu entry doesn't appear. I guess 'Filesystem' category is not recognized at all.

rerwin

Updated Frisbee and companion woof-update packages

#350 Post by rerwin »

I post this here to make it easy to locate the set of packages to integrate Frisbee into Puppy. The Frisbee package is "frisbee_integrated-20121210, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 521#662521

The matching woof-updates package is woof_updates_precise-20121204, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 518#662518

If you are starting fresh, be sure to also install the other 4 packages at the woof-updates link.

I expect to continue discussion of frisbee_integrated in the Frisbee thread, since the package is intended for all future puppies.
Richard

NOTE that these two packages MUST BOTH be installed, as they are interdependent. As of 12/7, I see that the frisbee package has been downloaded more times than the companion woof_update package. Please do not test with only one of them installed.
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 11 Dec 2012, 20:28, edited 2 times in total.

ChrisOfBristol

Installation - no Grub

#351 Post by ChrisOfBristol »

I was very impressed with what the last version did for my old laptop so decided to upgrade to Precise 5.4 and do a 'Full' installation this time because as a user of other distributions I feel more comfortable with it.

As there was already a Puppy version on the disk, I remembered to type

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
at startup from the CD and Puppy started fine. I was grateful to whoever put the "Installation" shortcut on the desktop as I didn't have to use my USB stick with what might have been an out-of-date installer, that also ran ok. I then did a Grub install, some options I chose: 'Simple', 'Standard', 'MBR'. The device is /dev/sda1, all went ok with that too.

I couldn't do the suggested check on /boot/grub/menu.lst as I couldn't find a 'boot' directory, I wouldn't have known what to check anyway to be honest.

When I rebooted I got:
  • 1 Linux (on /dev/sda1)
    2 Install to Floppy...
    3 Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/sda1)
I chose (1) and got "Error15: file not found", so I then tried (3) and got several messages which look ok and end in "...succeeded. Done."
I then tried (1) again with the same result as before.

I had the same sort of problem when I installed the last version, I can't remember how I fixed it - it was all above my head anyway!

Is there a simple way to fix this Grub thing?

666philb

#352 Post by 666philb »

hi ChrisOfBristol

in menu>>>system there are 2 grub programs 'grub bootloader config' & 'grub4dos bootloader config', the first one requires some manual input, and it sounds like you used this one.

Try using Grub4dos, it does everything automatically
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

ChrisOfBristol

#353 Post by ChrisOfBristol »

666philb wrote:Try using Grub4dos
'Automatic' sounds good! I wasn't keen on the 'DOS' bit, as I don't want to have anything to do with Window$, but I have now tried it and it's much simpler than the other one - thanks.

I get a Windows/Advanced Menu option when I bootup. If I select Advanced Menu I get a list of options. When I choose either of the more likely ones I just get the three options I was getting with the other Grub installer (see above), with the same results.

Is there a simple way to fix this Grub thing?

slenkar

#354 Post by slenkar »

Is it possible to upgrade from 5.4.1 to 5.4.2 or is a new install necessary

Terryphi

#355 Post by Terryphi »

slenkar wrote:Is it possible to upgrade from 5.4.1 to 5.4.2 or is a new install necessary
Yes. You can download the appropriate delta file from here:

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... lta_files/

Online, you will see the directory "delta_files", and the naming of the files should tell you what they do. Download a delta file and then just click on it.

Or, you can start from the menu:

Menu -> Utility -> Xdelta file difference manager

...then, it is just a matter of drag-and-drop of the old .iso file and the delta file. The Xdelta app also has a 'Help' button with further explanation.

This presupposes that you have previously downloaded versions 5.4 or 5.4.1 of Precise Puppy.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

OscarTalks

Re: Installation - no Grub

#356 Post by OscarTalks »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:.... I then did a Grub install, some options I chose: 'Simple', 'Standard', 'MBR'. The device is /dev/sda1, all went ok with that too.

I couldn't do the suggested check on /boot/grub/menu.lst as I couldn't find a 'boot' directory, I wouldn't have known what to check anyway to be honest.
Hello ChrisOfBristol,

I am no expert but have done this a few times now. With Grub what I do is make sure the Linux partition in which I am installing Puppy is flagged as the boot partition (using GParted). Then I install Grub to the root of that same Linux partition (not to MBR) and this installs /boot/grub/menu1st to that partition so it is easy to find the menu1st file for editing.

I just add the lines that Puppy Universal Installer prompts with the file that it generates for you and edit the name the way I want it.

If you have Windows in another partition I have found that it is necessary to delete the line "make active" in menu1st otherwise Windows snatches back the boot flag and I lose my boot menu screen and other options.

I have used Grub4Dos on 1 machine and with that I didn't see an option to install to the Linux partition so installed to MBR. In this case the menu1st file was installed to the root of the ntfs partition which has the boot flag and Windows XP on it (which I don't use but have left it there anyway). The easiest way to access the menu1st file for editing in this case is to mount the partition in Puppy and there it is. I have been able to install different Puppies in the Linux partition and have had no problems.

Hope that helps.
Oscar in England

ChrisOfBristol

Still no Grub

#357 Post by ChrisOfBristol »

Oscar Talks
...make sure the Linux partition in which I am installing Puppy is flagged as the boot partition (using GParted)...
Good tip, I have checked and the partition has got the 'boot' flag.

I tried installing GRUB many times unsuccessfully with 'GRUB bootloader config/simple' (I chose this option because I am not an expert) and got a message which suggested success, but it never worked. The fact that accepting the defaults doesn't work because they don't show, doesn't help. 'GRUB for DOS bootloader config' didn't work either.

I mentioned in my first posting that there was no sign of a 'boot' directory (see attachment) that was obviously highly relevant.

I then tried 'GRUB bootloader config/expert' and it has worked.
I think the two options within 'GRUB bootloader config' should be renamed from
'simple Try to install GRUB automatically'
'expert Use expert GRUB setup menu'
to
'Doesn't work under any circumstances'
'Use this one' :)

Do I sound frustrated? Yes - this took hours to sort out and I nearly gave up in disgust. it's a pity because this is an amazing distribution otherwise, spoilt by a nightmare installation process.
EDIT: Even the 'Expert' doesn't work - the Grub4DOS seems to be better.
Attachments
capture16223.png
(21.02 KiB) Downloaded 1000 times
Last edited by ChrisOfBristol on Thu 20 Dec 2012, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#358 Post by backi »

Hi
I am using precise on Usb stick .
Wanted to download Programms with PPM .

During process of downloading from repo the whole letters which are indicating download suddenly changed to lttles squares ,became unreadable .

Had the same probleme with Upup 5.4.4 too .

(maybe my Usb stick is damaged ,i am not sure ) .

Anybody else the same/similar problems ?

rcrsn51

#359 Post by rcrsn51 »

backi wrote:Anybody else the same/similar problems ?
Yes, lots of people. It's been around since the beta versions.

Are you using the very latest Precise?

scsijon

Just a reminder taken from the first page

#360 Post by scsijon »

Just a reminder taken from the first page.

Precise 5.4.2 has a new Forum thread for feedback. The thread that you are on now is for feedback on 5.4. Please go to this new thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 041#668041

backi

#361 Post by backi »

rcrsn51 !
I am using the latest version of Precise .

npierce

#362 Post by npierce »

backi,

What PUPMODE are you running in?

Code: Select all

grep PUPMODE /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE

sszindian

Spyware?

#363 Post by sszindian »

Can someone answer this?

Is the Spyware that is built into the Ubuntu binaries Removed from Puppy Ubuntu builds? (Precise, Upup-Precise)

If it's removed, can someone please explain how they did it?

See this article for the story:
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

pemasu

#364 Post by pemasu »

I think you should ask Richard Stallman how to do it.

sszindian

Ubuntu Spyware

#365 Post by sszindian »

sszindian wrote:
If it's removed, can someone please explain how they did it?
-----------------------------------------------------------
pemasu wrote:
I think you should ask Richard Stallman how to do it.

--------------------------------------------------------
sszindian says:
I can asume that we here at puppy were/are not aware of this built-in function?

I doubt Stallman would know anything about puppy builds and even if he could tell me I wouldn't know what he was talking about... I guess you would say that's a dev's department no?

>>>---Indian------>

PS: Good to see you back from your ski-trip, hope you enjoyed!
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]