UEFI What is it and how to control it for booting Puppy.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
bigpup

UEFI What is it and how to control it for booting Puppy.

#1 Post by bigpup »

Desktop PCs and laptops, of the x86 variety (not Apples or Chromebooks), use one of two types of firmware: BIOS or UEFI.
All PCs manufactured prior to 2012 are of the BIOS kind, and these were usually sold with Windows 98, XP, Vista or 7.
From 2012, most PCs came with Windows 8.x installed, and these all have UEFI firmware.

Read here for more information:
http://bkhome.org/quirky/uefi.htm

This was written for Quirky Puppy, but the information gives you a good understanding of what to do for other versions of Puppy.
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 12 Apr 2015, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

s243a

Re: UEFI What is it and how to control it for booting Puppy.

#2 Post by s243a »

bigpup wrote:Desktop PCs and laptops, of the x86 variety (not Apples or Chromebooks), use one of two types of firmware: BIOS or UEFI.
All PCs manufactured prior to 2012 are of the former kind, and these were usually sold with Windows 98, XP, Vista or 7.
From 2012, most PCs came with Windows 8.x installed, and these all have UEFI firmware.

This was written for Quirky Puppy, but the information gives you a good understanding of what to do for other versions of Puppy.
I got a new laptop for Christmas (an asus transformer laptop running windows 8.1). It uses UEFI, I think it must use version 2 because I was able to use the search feature on the charm bar for either "firmware" or "startup options" and change the bios options to legacy boot. When I booted the second time from the CD it automatically loaded up puppy. However, when I booted up back to windows, It said it was quote "doing some repairs", which had the effect of changing the BIOS settings back.

The ironic thing is that these changes are supposed to be for security, however, if I can change the BIOS settings from the operating system this seems bad for security to me. The reason being, perhaps some virus or malware could also change the bios settings and lock me out of the computer. This would be horrible. Also the so called "doing some repairs" is annoying because I shouldn't have to change the BIOS each time that I want to boot from a CD. Also these repairs seemed to have pinned a bunch of anoying things back to the start page that I previously had removed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: UEFI What is it and how to control it for booting Puppy.

#3 Post by BarryK »

s243a wrote:
bigpup wrote:Desktop PCs and laptops, of the x86 variety (not Apples or Chromebooks), use one of two types of firmware: BIOS or UEFI.
All PCs manufactured prior to 2012 are of the former kind, and these were usually sold with Windows 98, XP, Vista or 7.

I got a new laptop for Christmas (an asus transformer laptop running windows 8.1). It uses UEFI, I think it must use version 2 because I was able to use the search feature on the charm bar for either "firmware" or "startup options" and change the bios options to legacy boot. When I booted the second time from the CD it automatically loaded up puppy. However, when I booted up back to windows, It said it was quote "doing some repairs", which had the effect of changing the BIOS settings back.

The ironic thing is that these changes are supposed to be for security, however, if I can change the BIOS settings from the operating system this seems bad for security to me. The reason being, perhaps some virus or malware could also change the bios settings and lock me out of the computer. This would be horrible. Also the so called "doing some repairs" is annoying because I shouldn't have to change the BIOS each time that I want to boot from a CD. Also these repairs seemed to have pinned a bunch of anoying things back to the start page that I previously had removed.
Yes, legacy boot is tricky. Some computers are better than others.

The current release of Quirky requires legacy boot to be enabled, however the next release, 7.0.3, will allow booting from removable drive on UEFI PCs without needing legacy boot.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]