Lighthouse 64 5.15 Final

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Q5sys

#181 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Question
In LH64, isn't the save-session files (I run live media) loaded before the SFSs. Thus this puts it highest in the order and SFS loading would not compromise save session stuff.

I ask, because I seem to remember TaZoC doing a significant amount of structuring to arrive at the boot-time management that we see.

This is, I believe, how it works in, say, Mariner.

Is that a correct view?
I dont know what significant time would have been required to use a basic puppy function. This is not a slight against TazOC at all. So please no one take it as that. But the functionality of a save file sitting in top of everything is is a needed function for a frugal system with persistance to even work. So it doesn't take special skill to manage that. He has hacked the initrd script quite a bit to enable the addons that we see in LHP, but thats all lower work dealing mostly with SFS package management. (its been a while since I ripped the inird apart and looked at it, so I may be operating on older information)
TazOC can correct me If I'm wrong, (and I hope he does if I am wrong) but the only thing I remember that needed special attention was the order the SFS layers loaded into memory. Thats why the zWine layer loads first, and if you run KDE or other SFS like that they have a number appended to the beginning so they are loaded before others. He worked through that in LHP v4 series I think. That did require trial and error on his part to work out the proper order for certain SFS packages. Is that what you are refering to?

The Save session sits on the top level of layered file system. This is the same as every other puppy that Im aware of. Thats how the user save file can overwrite any changes in the Base SFS thats on the ISO or any add-on SFS packages the user installs.
In my previous post I said "save file sits on top of SFS files". In the layered file system the layers on top have priority over the layers below... so what I said means the same thing as what you said... this puts it highest in the order and SFS loading would not compromise save session stuff.
Hence the conversation Meeki and myself had.
meeki wrote:
SFS release is a problem for video drivers. Due to the layering of the system when it boots... save file sits on top of SFS files... so if they have an older driver in their save file... the newer one in the SFS wont be used.
Agree.... this is why I am switching all my Drivers to SFS for now on. Even if i uninstall my old 304 nvida pet and install my new 310 SFS it fails.

Ive now installed and uninstalled the nvida SFS and it stays happy.
EDIT:
Found it:

snayak

#182 Post by snayak »

Dear All,

Thanks for putting the base/mariner iso files in torrent. I am happy to get it.

Is it not possible to put devx file in torrent?

Since, these files are big, I fear to download them without torrent. This is because my Internet goes off time to time. Also I have severe bandwidth limitation per month.

Hope, if we can have all the big files in torrent, we poor can have a taste of newly released puppies, when we have some leftover bandwidth in the last week of months.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

Q5sys

#183 Post by Q5sys »

Normally I run Arch on my netbooks but I decided to fire up LHP on it and see how it'd run... well everything ran great for about 20 minutes... then the entire system just started to get slow as crap. And I mean SLOOOOOOWWWWW. I checked the I/O stats and nothing was doing anything, so I fired up Htop and was presented with this:
Pic is larger than 800x600 so Im linking instead of embedding it.

That's sorted with top CPU% at the top. Something is burning through the CPU, but isnt showing in either Htop, top, ps -ef, or any other way for me to check my processes.

Has anyone else had a similar situation come up?

snayak

#184 Post by snayak »

Hi Q5sys,

I run Lhpup 5.14 on one of my pc. I haven't seen this issue. However, one thing i remember that we better change gkrellm settings to poll the status every 1 minute. By default it polls too frequently. From your figure also you can see that it takes more cpu time. Apart from this, I am not sure why your cpu is working so hard.

Another issue I saw 1 week back is,
I switch on my machine and left lhpup idle for around 20 minutes, kernel dump happened! This was first time I saw this. I had to hard boot the machine.

Another issue I saw 3 weeks back is, it didn't powerdown completely, it hanged on the last screen that writes, "power down."

i was running lhpup 5.14 on lenovo g570.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

Q5sys

#185 Post by Q5sys »

NetHogs is a net top tool which displays traffic used per process instead of per IP or interface.

Made this for myself and decided to share it. Ironically enough it was featured on the Linux Action Show today as well. So if anyone saw that and wanted to try it out... Here you go.

I had to include 2 extra lib packages. Depending on what you have on your system you may need another. If thats the case let me know and I'll throw it up here.

Included Libs:
libnl-1.1-x86_64-1
libpcap-1.1.1-x86_64-1

Any problems let me know.

gcmartin

#186 Post by gcmartin »

Q5sys wrote:... I had to include 2 extra lib packages. Depending on what you have on your system you may need another. If thats the case let me know and I'll throw it up here.

Included Libs:
libnl-1.1-x86_64-1
libpcap-1.1.1-x86_64-1 ...
Is there a reason a 2-year old version of libpcap was chosen?

Just curious.

Q5sys

#187 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:
Q5sys wrote:... I had to include 2 extra lib packages. Depending on what you have on your system you may need another. If thats the case let me know and I'll throw it up here.

Included Libs:
libnl-1.1-x86_64-1
libpcap-1.1.1-x86_64-1 ...
Is there a reason a 2-year old version of libpcap was chosen?

Just curious.
Yea... its stable. If you or anyone else needs the most bleeding edge version... you are more than welcome to go compile it yourself. Since our current LHP version is working with a dated version of glibc... Cutting edge isnt an option on alot of software in LHP right now. I'm siding with sticking with more stable releases until we get a newer release. Futhermore since not a single person has requested this package before... It's not like anyone was in desperate need of it. I posted it here just to be helpful to everyone.

But again you are more than welcome to compile a newer verison of libpcap if you'd like.

Side note: I am, but are you aware of what the patches in newer libpcap's are even for? If you arent personally affected by those changes, there's no real benefit in the newest version.

gcmartin

#188 Post by gcmartin »

For the record: "When I ask any question, I am not attacking or criticizing anyone. I ask merely for understanding as it usually proves useful in some future activity." So please, everyone, should I ask a question do not think I am taking any position of a contribution.

Q5sys, thanks for taking a moment to share about libpcap. Been a user of these tools for many years. I was seeking the understanding of whether that library had some dependency which might be missing in newer versions of the library. Thanks :)

Here to help

Q5sys

#189 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Q5sys, thanks for taking a moment to share about libpcap. Been a user of these tools for many years. I was seeking the understanding of whether that library had some dependency which might be missing in newer versions of the library. Thanks :)
Understood. I took this opportunity to explain that for everyone. There is a prevalent notion that the newest version must be the best. This is not always the case, when an update includes on minor bug fixes; that might not be a reason to update. Also there is the wonderful example that Microsoft always gives us with every versions... They break more than they fix with new versions.

Q5sys

#190 Post by Q5sys »

Java update. This is the full JDK
7u10

Download = JDK 7u10
MD5 = e18d556707c0453a8ee0e13d7208329c

Q5sys

#191 Post by Q5sys »

Q5sys wrote:Image

7u10

Download = JDK 7u10
Well that didnt last long, A new exploit for Java was just publicly acknowledged a few hours ago.

Reports are that this exploit is actively being used
There appears to be multiple ad networks redirecting to Blackhole sites, amplifying the mass exploitation problem. We have seen ads from legitimate sites, especially in the UK, Brazil, and Russia, redirecting to domains hosting the current Blackhole implementation delivering the Java 0day. These sites include weather sites, news sites, and of course, adult sites.
As soon as a new package is released I'll upload it.
Last edited by Q5sys on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.

Q5sys

#192 Post by Q5sys »

Mozilla released an update for Firefox... Here it is:

Download: Firefox v18
md5sum: bb882a2b7a49e5d5f5732fa30ff8b995

Q5sys

#193 Post by Q5sys »

Q5sys wrote:
Q5sys wrote:Image

7u10

Download = JDK 7u10
Well that didnt last long, A new exploit for Java was just publicly acknowledged a few hours ago.

There appears to be multiple ad networks redirecting to Blackhole sites, amplifying the mass exploitation problem. We have seen ads from legitimate sites, especially in the UK, Brazil, and Russia, redirecting to domains hosting the current Blackhole implementation delivering the Java 0day. These sites include weather sites, news sites, and of course, adult sites.
Temporary Solution until new update comes out.

US-CERT is recommending that users disable Java in web browsers

This and previous Java vulnerabilities have been widely targeted by attackers, and new Java vulnerabilities are likely to be discovered. To defend against this and future Java vulnerabilities, disable Java in web browsers.

Starting with Java 7 Update 10, it is possible to disable Java content in web browsers through the Java control panel applet. From Setting the Security Level of the Java Client:

For installations where the highest level of security is required, it is possible to entirely prevent any Java apps (signed or unsigned) from running in a browser by de-selecting Enable Java content in the browser in the Java Control Panel under the Security tab.

Q5sys

#194 Post by Q5sys »

Q5sys wrote: Well that didnt last long, A new exploit for Java was just publicly acknowledged a few hours ago.

Package: http://puppy-linux.org/lhp515/jre-7u11-x86_64.sfs
md5sum: 62a512850ab083a6f6d5b25a7a35fb22

Any issues, let me know.

Q5sys

#195 Post by Q5sys »

Q5sys wrote:
Q5sys wrote: Well that didnt last long, A new exploit for Java was just publicly acknowledged a few hours ago.

Package: http://puppy-linux.org/lhp515/jre-7u11-x86_64.sfs
md5sum: 62a512850ab083a6f6d5b25a7a35fb22

Any issues, let me know.
Well that didnt last long x2. Java 7u11 was incomplete and still has vulnerabilities in it.
Oracle has not released a new version. When they do I'll package it.

Im creating a new thread, which I can reference in the future. You can find it here
Specific Java talk can take place there.

Pete22

Lighthouse issues

#196 Post by Pete22 »

Hello Lhp friends,

I have been ill and away from puppy for a while.
Want to get my computer working again. I have not caught up on all the posts.
My questions may already be addressed. Please forgive me.

Here is a copy of cross post I am sending to 01micko.
I am not sure if these issues are related or not. I am hoping someone can tell me.

01micko:

tempicon works fairly well in lighthouse which is related to slacko.

When Installed, this version starts working without further tweaking.
It even installs to the panel. However, the icon does not show.
I can tell its there because it leaves a space between icons.
When I click on the space it opens tempicon.

On second thought, this may not be tempicon's problem.
I want to use xfce windows manager, which works on the live CD.
But lighthouse refuses to this in a frugal install. It will only work with Openbox.

So I am not sure where the problem lies.

I will send a message to Lhp folks as well.

Pete

PSS Any chance of upgrading to latest Xfce?

Q5sys

Re: Lighthouse issues

#197 Post by Q5sys »

Pete22 wrote:Any chance of upgrading to latest Xfce?
I cant help you with the former question. As to this one, I've actually already built it...but it requires a newer GlibC than LHP 5.15 has... so we need to wait until TazOC has time to build a newer version.

gcmartin

#198 Post by gcmartin »

On the tempicon issue, it is my understanding that the current taskbar anomolie will disappear. And, anyone using the upcoming Slacko distros will see it as well.

But, it could be a few weeks to get to final.

Here to help

tazoc

#199 Post by tazoc »

Pete22 wrote:I want to use xfce windows manager, which works on the live CD.
But lighthouse refuses to this in a frugal install. It will only work with Openbox.

Pete

Hi Pete22,
In LH64, the Xfce SFS requires the Gvfs SFS. I am working on a newer Xfce, based on work by Q5sys, for the next release.

-TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Pete22

#200 Post by Pete22 »

tazoc wrote:
Pete22 wrote:I want to use xfce windows manager, which works on the live CD.

Pete

Hi Pete22,
In LH64, the Xfce SFS requires the Gvfs SFS. I am working on a newer Xfce, based on work by Q5sys, for the next release.

-TaZoC

Thanks everyone for your answers on tempicon and Xfce.

Wow the new version is coming! Wonderful.

-TaZoC: I have GVfs loaded. Maybe it is corrupt.
I will unload it and download a fresh copy and see if that solves my problem.
I will report back.

Pete