Lupu - no shutdown, lost save (Solved by reinstall from cd)

Booting, installing, newbie
rojen

Lupu - no shutdown, lost save (Solved by reinstall from cd)

#1 Post by rojen »

Hi.
I installed Lupu 528 and had some quirks.

First I installed it to the hard drive and saved a lupu save file. Next I installed it to a USB stick and created a diff save file with encryption.

When installing to hard drive it never walked me all the way thru a grub install. SO it would not boot. I booted from the new USB okay and installed grub from there ok.

When I rebooted from the hard drive again, it worked, but it did not load my save. I installed a bunch more software and thought when I shut it down I would be able to tell it to save. The file is actually there I checked.

Well when I give it a shut down command it flashes for a few moments to a black screen telling me it is shutting down, then it goes right back to the main screen. When it comes back the network is down says no active interfaces and offers to run network setup.

One other minor quirk. When I finally booted from hard drive, no mounted drives showed on the bottom. I ck'd the control for it and the appropriate boxes were checked. Later after I downloaded and updated the video driver, I restarted x and the drives showed up. ALso the left side of the task bar no longer has anything but menu, select browser and display desktop. The other stuff that was there on the live cd is gone.

I would like to make sure I have a save file working. And I would like to be able to shut it down.

thanks, rojen
Last edited by rojen on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

First are you using Lucid (lupu) Puppy 5.2.8.005?
First I installed it to the hard drive and saved a lupu save file.
When I rebooted from the hard drive again, it worked, but it did not load my save.
How do you know the save file did not load?
Are you sure you did a frugal install?

On a frugal install to a hard drive, once a save file is made, at next boot it uses the save file and auto saves as you use Puppy. At shutdown it will not ask anything about saving.

Make sure, on hard drive, you have only one save file named lupusave.
Running from a Puppy live CD will try and make one on first shutdown.
Any save files that start with lupusave (if more than one) need to have different names.
example:
lupusave-something.2fs
lupusave-backup.3fs
lupusave-flashdrive.2fs

Some of your other problems could be caused by just having a bad install.
Bad download of the Lucid Puppy iso file.

The answers to my questions may suggest other answers to problems.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rojen

should be latest

#3 Post by rojen »

I verified it is 5.28.005, I just downloaded it two days ago and printed t 5.28.005 on the cd.

I don't think it was a frugal install, I think I did full. My purpose for this PC is to give it for student use. I do not want to have a USB drive with it, the USB drive would probably walk off with in a few days. So the PC must be self contained.

I believe it is not using the sfs file because all the changes I made were gone. Also I don't remember what program but I was running lots of programs exploring and I found one that said I did not have a save file.

When I was running from the live CD everything was working without the quirks. i.e. drives showed up and disappeared. Green dots appeared next to mounted drives. Quick starts on bottom left of the task bar remained. I tried the live cd several loads to compare it to other puplets, before I decided I liked lupu first.

I was keeping the pc running because I did not want to crash it down, but alas, we lost power last night for some hours and the UPS was only good for 15 minutes. So I booted it up this morning and the load stops after the line recognizing media devices .... optical input done.

Then it stops at a # prompt.

I will reinstall the live cd, but I spent hours loading bibletime and all the mods. I want try and copy off at least the modules so I don't redownload them all. Not sure where they are.

Should I have done a frugal install? Can I do frugal and keep it all on the hd? When I read the difference frugal seemed more for portability which I do not want on this system. I just want a fast little pc with lots of software that the students like and / or need.

rojen
Last edited by rojen on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.

rojen

now stick won't load

#4 Post by rojen »

Okay I successfully booted from the stick in the past.

I selected it as boot source it started loading, it asked for the password for the sfs file, next said it was mounted successfully, then loading it to ram done.

Next I had a kernel panic - not syning: Attempted to kill init!

Lights on the keyboard are flashing.

ct - alt del does not work.

I powered it off and tried again. same

rebooted from live cd. WHat's really weird is that some of the changes I made early on are now reflected like firefox and chrome loaded and network set up. It seems my save file went to the cd and not to the install on hd. I was able to save off all the sword modules from bibletime I hope I can shortcut the install process with them. I know I can do it this way for e-sword and theword bible programs under windows.

I am re-installing from cd to hd. I am having a problem cause it can not unmount the hd (the save file is on it.) Not sure what it means, but it has a red dot next to the sda1 icon on the desktop. I imagine that means it can not be unmounted.

I will install to the usb stick again first and then from that hopefully install to the hd. FYI when I shutdown the livecd, I saw it saving to my hd with the unique name for the sfs file I had there.

Everything looks good so far. I did a frugal install this time. Just starting to reinstall the apps. But so far, drives show up properly and task bar displays properly.

The test will be to see if the stick and hd re-installs survive shutdown and reboot. Stick does not survive reboot. Loads the sfs, then copies lupu_528 to ram successfully, then kernel panic - not syncing just like before. Ideas????

hd survives reboot. I will load short version of Bibletime and reboot again. Still reboots and everything works great! I will mark this solved and open a new thread for the USB stick problem.

Sorry for the book here, but I thought detail might show where I am screwing up.

rojen

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

I was keeping the pc running because I did not want to crash it down, but alas, we lost power last night for some hours and the UPS was only good for 15 minutes. So I booted it up this morning and the load stops after the line recognizing media devices .... optical input done.
This is basically a crash to Puppy. It does not like abnormal shutdowns.
Probably got file corruption.
There are ways to recover.
Well when I give it a shut down command it flashes for a few moments to a black screen telling me it is shutting down, then it goes right back to the main screen. When it comes back the network is down says no active interfaces and offers to run network setup.
With a full install of Puppy this will happen if you have the drive mounted that the full install is on.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)