mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
PET-240

#496 Post by PET-240 »

Yup, I use alix too. Have you anything else plugged in to the usb bus at the same time?
Just spitballing....perhaps a cmd for connected devices without it plugged in and one after it is plugged in? Not sure what it would be, one would think that it would be an sda1 being the only hdd.
Have you looked through the previous thread from 0.9.2a thread?

kocozze

#497 Post by kocozze »

I have another device usb connected, the hiface one, but she is recognized without any problem. Maybe the problem is that i partitioned the cf card? It was 8 gb, i create one partition for mpdpup (4 gb) and one partition empty.

PET-240

#498 Post by PET-240 »

Been a while since I went through the wizard, does the local storage come up before or after the output? Perhaps unplug both and plug in whichever comes up first? Then leave it and plug the second in?
I dont know if the partition is an issue, I use an 8gb card straight up.

kocozze

#499 Post by kocozze »

I try all attempts, but...nothing :cry:
I think that i must give up the alix solutions... (so, it was not my!).
Thanks anyway

ToineBles

mpdpup

#500 Post by ToineBles »

Hi Kocozze, I work also with an Alix board for quitte some time with great succes, i iuse a nasdrive. Do you have a nas drive? I presume not because you are trying usb storage connecting the mpd pup. One of these days i will try to connect an external drive on my alix board and report you if i'm succesful or not. Maybe this will help!! :wink:
Greeting Toine

mpdpup 0.93 on usb, mx on qnap nas, alix 3d3, m2tech young dac, mf v-link, edgar tube amp, magnepan 1.6, stax srs-4170

kocozze

#501 Post by kocozze »

Thanks if you will try then let me know...

ToineBles

mpdpup kocozze

#502 Post by ToineBles »

Hi Kocozze, This morning i've tried the cf-card and usb music storage without any problem on my alix board, operation was headless from another pc. Here's what i did: With the help of unetbootin and mpdpup 0.9.3 iso i prepared the cf-card, mind you not partioned!!

Then with the help of putty on another pc, i logged in at tunes.local with root and woofwoof. In the wizzard i could chose local storage, alltough i had only one usb drive connected, there were two options to choose from. After choosing "jukebox copy" on which my music is, i completed the wizzard. Just before the end of the wizzard, i saw two remarks coming along...... "cannot move library" and "no input files" so i thought this is not going well. But to my surprise, after a long wait (be patient it can take a quit long time) i started gmpc program on my pc and there was the music from the usb drive.

So it is possible, also for a Linux dummie like me :D Now i'm only hoping you will succeed to! MPDpup is for me the best audiophile solution there is, i have tried Linn gear (sneaky), logitech touch, xxhigh end, but every time i had some trouble's be it network or control problems. MPDpup with mpad or mpod control is simply the best. Good luck with your'e efforts.
Toine

mpdpup 0.93 on usb or cf-card, mx on qnap nas or usbdrive, alix 3d3, m2tech young dac, mf v-link, edgar tube amp, magnepan 1.6, stax srs-4170

kocozze

#503 Post by kocozze »

Many thanks, i'll retry, maybe my cf card is too bad? A question: your drive usb how much capience is? Is formatted in ntfs?

ToineBles

mpdpup kocozze

#504 Post by ToineBles »

Hi Kocozze, I guess when the cf-card is prepared with unetbootin he should be ok.. Trying another one can't harm! Remember....try it with only one partition. My hard drive is 2 tb en ntfs formatted.

mpdpup 0.93 on usb or cf-card, mx on qnap nas or usbdrive, alix 3d3, m2tech young dac, mf v-link, edgar tube amp, magnepan 1.6, stax srs-4170

kocozze

#505 Post by kocozze »

...nothing to do :cry: ! I think I will return to the rightful owner the alix board!
Another question: cpu intel core duo 64 bit it's right for MPDpup?

ToineBles

mpdpup kocozze

#506 Post by ToineBles »

Sad to hear Kocozze. I think cpu intel core duo 64 should work with mpdpup but i'm no expert. Hopefully someone else will react!?

wlowes

#507 Post by wlowes »

Soli wrote:Hi Idolse.

I am usually using MPD on Debian minimal. In the beginning I used a lot of time to toy around with all the usual tweaks, and also some of the more extreme ones. Writing scripts, tweaking the OS to my liking, it took quite a while to get the basics right. Nowadays, I usually spend time listening to music, but now and then I might try a new setting. I always had a separate a dirty linux install to do the experiments and compile, and to keep the clean install as light weight as possible.
Soli
Could you share some of the settings that got you great sound on Debian?
Perhaps we could duplicate on the mpdpup platform.

Soli

#508 Post by Soli »

Nothing beyond the extraordinary, followed the guide from http://www.symphonic-net.com/kubotayo/articles/ + some added things like thread/cpu affinity and also stripped the kernel of almost ALL unneccesary drivers or features, and also compiled a realtime kernel. I use USB nrpacks=1 which just sounds better, but I see others use other values. (might be dependent on a powerful CPU and/or a RT kernel. I use Hpet instead of TSC. I use higher buffers than usual.
Also compiled MPD with the realtime patch (although not strictly neccesary since you can set the priorities and affinity of the MPD threads after starting MPD).
It only support USB DACS, the advantage is that the USB soundcard is automatically HW:0,0 so it is plug and plug whatever USB soundcard you plug in. Also patched the kernel with overlayfs to support booting from a USB stick while also copying everything to ram. (also supporting persistence so you dont have to rescan the library on every reboot) Also added support for Mytek and M2tech in the kernel. I dont have a M2tech/Mytek card, but it should work.

I disabled powerboost, and hyperthreading. Lastly using a 64bit kernel also sounds better than the 32bit. I believe it is the sum of all parts that makes the difference.

In the music folders I have subfolders named USB and NAS. USB obviously points to automounted usb mounts. I disabled automounting the Linux file systems from USB sticks since "nobody" uses those anyways. But exfat, fat, hfs(+), ntfs are all mounted automatically, and MPD automatically scans both NAS and external storage, unlike MPDpup which makes you choose.

lugili

#509 Post by lugili »

Hi all,
it appears that there are now newer versions of MPD around (0.18.5) than the one used in the mpdpup version (0.17).
- Are these significantly better?
- Is it possible to upgrade/change without much hacking?

or

... is there a new mpdpup version around the corner ... ;-)

Dynobot

#510 Post by Dynobot »

lugili wrote:Hi all,
it appears that there are now newer versions of MPD around (0.18.5) than the one used in the mpdpup version (0.17).
- Are these significantly better?
- Is it possible to upgrade/change without much hacking?

or

... is there a new mpdpup version around the corner ... ;-)
New mpdpup around the corner? I doubt it.... This is a dead pup.

Easy to hack and install newer version? No

Does the newer version sound better? Yes

This was a great idea, which is now frozen in time. Its about 80% as good as mpd gets in terms of sq.

lugili

#511 Post by lugili »

It would be sad, if this was a dead pup ... it has a lot going for it. :(

Dynobot,
what is your suggested alternative for the last 20% of sq on an alix board? Back to voyage mpd where I came from?

lugili

#512 Post by lugili »

It would be sad, if this was a dead pup ... it has a lot going for it. :(

Dynobot,
what is your suggested alternative for the last 20% of sq on an alix board? Back to voyage mpd where I came from?

DenisP

#513 Post by DenisP »

I got an E-MU 0404 USB "sound card" for testing, which is used as external DAC, and I need to get it working with mpdPup.

It works (kind of) - the problem is that it does NOT swich sample rates automatically: I need to use "alsamixer" and manually set "Clock rate", where e.g. 100% is used for hi-res 24/192 sample rates, and if I turn it off completely, then it's good for playing 16/41... So, for every track that uses different sample rate, I should change clock rate in alsamixer manually :(

If I use wrong sample rate ("Clock rate") while playing track with a different sample rate (e.g. when I use a 100% setting in alsamixer for a track which has 16/41 rate), I get horribly distorted, tinny sound.

On other newer Linux distros this DAC/sound card seems to be working OK (i.e. sample rate is switched/changed automatically, without the need for "manual" intervention).

Anyone has any idea what could be done to solve this in mpdPup - i.e. to handle the sample rate (clock rate) automatically?
Attachments
alsamix-emu0404.jpg
alsamixer E-MU 0404 USB
(34.9 KiB) Downloaded 3447 times

wlowes

any ideas how to upgrade?

#514 Post by wlowes »

Looks like Ildose is busy or taking a well deserved break.

Does anyone know how to upgrade MPDPUP to use MPD 18?

DenisP

#515 Post by DenisP »

Well, further to my problem with E-MU 0404 USB DAC:
- I tried compiling newer alsa (alsa-driver, alsa-firmware, etc.), but to no avail: the compiled alsa-driver throws errors when used (and I seem to be missing "alsamixer"), so I gave that up :(

But, since this is Linux we're dealing with, I realized that there's more ways to skin a cat :)
If I can't make this DAC "behave" properly, I could do a "manual" change of DAC sample rate on every track change - and automate it!

I'm working on a bash script that will take output from

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0 | grep Momentary
where the output of the above command looks like this:

Code: Select all

Momentary freq = 44098 Hz (0x5.8320)
and, taking just the first two digits after the equal sign, see which sample rate the track uses, compare it to currently active DAC sample rate, and change it accordingly if it differs... It should all be done during the first half a second of the new track, so that there's no audible "glitches"...

Easier said than done.... I'm still struggling (never did any bash scripting to speak of), but I'm getting close...

Unless anyone has a better idea?