don570 wrote:For a faster download of precise-5.4.1-retro

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/quirky/

Warning! This site doesn't appear to have downloaded
precise-5.4.1 properly ---> It shows a size of only 31 meg
when it should have a size of 165 meg

shinobar

burning dvd video fails on precise puppy

#32 Post by shinobar »

burning dvd videos by pburn 3.7.5 on the precise puppy 5.4/5.4.1 fails.
I copied /usr/bin/dvdauthor extracted from slacko 533 to precise 541 and got SUCCESS.
Maybe the dvdauthor in precise is somewhat broken.
/usr/bin/dvdauthor extracted from slacko 533 is 135kB large.
the dvdauthor in precise is only 54kB!
EDIT: the dvdauthor in precise is 154kB, whereas slacko 533 has 135kB. (Tnx to pemasu)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 535#662535
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 020#664020
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

SFR

Re: iconfinder and YASSM

#33 Post by SFR »

drblock2 wrote:Updated to 5.4.1 from 5.4.0.90 all went well.

But, when I tried to run iconfinder, it seemed to hang while compiling the icon list. When I broke off the program, I got an error message saying that the list file was probably too large.

Checking /root/.icon_finder revealed a list file weighing in at 4.28 MB, which did seem like quite a lot!

I examined the file and found the source of the problem - iconfinder had left my local machine and had started to download the addresses of all the jpg's on my server. This is why the program appeared to hang.

This unexpected behavior was caused by an unintended interaction with YASSM. iconfinder is configured to search /root among other directories and YASSM mounts the network shares in /root/YASSM - hence the entire network is included in the search rather than just a few local directories where icons are likely to be found.

This problem did not arise earlier when attaching shares with pnethood, which mounts under /mnt/network.

The problem can be solved by adding:

Code: Select all

-path /root/YASSM -prune -o
to line 115 of iconfinder after "find $Paths".

Alternatively, just run iconfinder for the first time before attaching the network drives with YASSM:) :) .
Hey Drblock2

Thanks for noticing this unforeseen "feature". :wink:
It's been fixed, see here.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

drblock2

iconfinder and YASSM

#34 Post by drblock2 »

@SFR
Tried out iconfinder 1.1 - Works now as advertised. I agree - there are times when you would like to search the entire network. Great application.

@rcrsn51
drblock2 wrote:
This unexpected behavior was caused by an unintended interaction with YASSM. iconfinder is configured to search /root among other directories and YASSM mounts the network shares in /root/YASSM - hence the entire network is included in the search rather than just a few local directories where icons are likely to be found.

rcrsn51 wrote:
What an interesting side-effect! How big a share did you have mounted with YASSM?
I have three network drives with a combined capacity of ca. 1.3 TB connected at the moment although only about 300 GB is actually occupied by data.

I am a creature of habit (with only Windows XP to deal with), but having tried the built-in YASSM, I don't think I will go back to pnethood. YASSM is really fast and stable.

I can also recommend the Samba-TNG server - which I have been using for the last two years to attach my network drives.

Next project is to get rid of the Windows network entirely.

jamesbond

blog2 registration

#35 Post by jamesbond »

Hi Barry,

Sorry in advance to hijack the thread.

I've been trying to register to your blog2 - sending emails and PMs, but received no response. I'm afraid my emails go to your junk mail folder and I know PMs are not always reliable here - so here's my request. I will re-send my email if you don't get it. My email address is similar to my forum name here.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

don570

download precise 5.4.1

#36 Post by don570 »

This fast site to download precise 5.4.1 has now been properly updated :lol:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... ise-5.4.1/

slenkar

#37 Post by slenkar »

Mangler doesnt seem to work (installed from ubuntu repositories)

Running it in a console doesnt give any error messages

bigpup

#38 Post by bigpup »

slenkar wrote:Mangler doesnt seem to work (installed from ubuntu repositories)

In Puppy Package Manager,
Did you do the examine for dependencies prior to downloading and install?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

oldyeller

#39 Post by oldyeller »

Frugal install of retro 5.4.1 on my Dell D430 so far everything is looking good.

Cheers

pemasu

#40 Post by pemasu »

I have dvdauthor with size 151 kB, hmm.....?

Ray MK

#41 Post by Ray MK »

Report Video 1.4 - Mon 12 Nov 2012 on Precise Puppy 5.4.1 - Linux 3.2.29 i686

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
oem: Intel(r)852MG/852MGE/855MG/855MGE Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)852MG/852MGE/855MG/855MGE Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Have been using 5.4.1 and 5.4.1-nonPAE on my 10yr old Acer laptop very happily since BK's announcement of them.
All seems to be working extremely well with no unexpected hiccups. In fact these 2 puppy's are running as well, if not better, than any Puppy I've used on this laptop.

Another positive consideration is BK's choice of desktop layout. If, as it now seems likely, we are all soon to be using touch screen laptops, what better touch enabled ICON layout could there be.

What an achievement and forward thinking from our PuppyMaster, considering puppy is now nearly 10 yrs old.

IMHO - Puppy Linux is by far, the best OS available for PC's today.

Thank you Barry, for all that you have done for us and for the world of OS's.

Very best regards - Ray.
Attachments
sys-info-121112.gz
(12.12 KiB) Downloaded 880 times
report-video-full.gz
(6.75 KiB) Downloaded 866 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

shinobar

#42 Post by shinobar »

pemasu wrote:
I have dvdauthor with size 151 kB, hmm.....?
Right. The dvdauthor in precise is 154kB, whereas slacko 533 has 135kB.
Anyway i guess the dvdauthor in precise is somewhat broken.

slenkar

#43 Post by slenkar »

bigpup wrote:
slenkar wrote:Mangler doesnt seem to work (installed from ubuntu repositories)

In Puppy Package Manager,
Did you do the examine for dependencies prior to downloading and install?
yes it downloaded a few libraries like audio-stream stuff etc.

pemasu

#44 Post by pemasu »

I couldnt find any info about dvdauthor bug in Precise Pangolin. The same version has been used with 2 newer Ubuntu builds, Quantzal and that newest one. So...no cure with Ubuntu for some time.

Epdfview inverse colors has been fixed. I tested it and it works with Precise poppler just fine. So the need for zepdfview-fix is not needed with updated epdfview.

oldyeller

#45 Post by oldyeller »

Hello,

Precise retro 541

I have notice that after a while using Geany that it would not minimize when clicking on the taskbar.

Has any one else have this problem?

Cheers

shinobar

burning dvd video on precise fails

#46 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote: The dvdauthor in precise is 154kB, whereas slacko 533 has 135kB.
The package from ubuntu precise, dvdauthor_0.7.0-1.1build1_i386.deb has /usr/bin/dvdauthor of 154kB.
The package from slackware 13.37, dvdauthor-0.7.0-i486-1sl.txz has 138kB.
the slackware is fine but the precise fails.
EDIT: No, I tried both dvdauthor on precise puppy and BOTH failed.
The only success is the dvdauthor extracted from slacko 533 of 135kB.
That sais:
DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.7.0.
Build options: gnugetopt iconv freetype fribidi fontconfig

Have anyone tried to burn dvd video with the pburn on the precise puppy?

Gonzalo_VC

Old machines!?

#47 Post by Gonzalo_VC »

Hi, guys.
You are calling Pentium 4 and Athlon XP machines with more than 1.6 GHz processors "old" machines!!??
I'm trying Puppy (Precise, retro-precise and perhaps Wary) in a 500 MHz Pentium III, 512 MB of RAM and 10 GB (slow) HD. That's an old machine to be rescued by Linux! :D

I fell the system (fully installed) quite slow with regular Precise. Do you think it's the system (should I use Wary?) or that y have formated the discs with ext4 file-system?

By the way, how do we configure a separated /home in another partition?

Cheers for Puppy!

nubc

#48 Post by nubc »

Gonzalo,
I would full-install Wary 5.3 with ext2 file system, and 500 MB Linux-swap partition (usually placed at the end of the hard drive space) on a 500 MHz P3 computer with 512 MB ram. Run and test Wary 5.3 as live CD before you decide to install to hard drive.
http://puppylinux.com/download/

download wary-5.3.iso:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.3/

If that doesn't satisfy, try ttuuxxx's ClassicPup 2.14x, which has an older kernel more suited to your older computer, but with up-to-date apps.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553
By the way, how do we configure a separated /home in another partition?
You should post this question in another section of the forum, either Beginner's Help or Users, because the question is off-topic. (topic = Precise Puppy 5.4.1 bugs)
EDIT: Gonzalo, please post issues with a slow computer and selection of suitable Puppy version in Beginner's Help or Users section of forum. Move discussion to there.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 14 Nov 2012, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.

Gonzalo_VC

I did it!

#49 Post by Gonzalo_VC »

I did it, my friend.
I have a 500+ MB swap space at the begging of the HD.
I tested Puppy before installation, and I have used and tested other Puppies (Wary and previous versions). I still wonder which version is better for a 500 MHz PentiumIII (pae or non-pae Precise Puppy, or Wary at last!?).

A problem I have now is the low speed the system is showing. I guess is the ext4 partition instead of ext3 our 2, as you have suggested.

Cheers!
Log live GNU/Linux and Puppy!!!

PS: I saw the 214X-top10.iso page. Which one is the latest? the 10th? Thanks.

FeodorF

Error messages in /tmp/xerrs.log

#50 Post by FeodorF »

Hello to everybody!

I have found a lot of entries in the /tmp/xerrs.log file. They all sound the same.

Using RetroPrecise Puppy 541 on my P-III 850, 1280MB. The pupsave file is 512MB. It's on a 2GB SD card (USB). Booting Puppy from my CD rom drive.
    Merging /initrd/pup_rw onto /initrd/pup_ro1...
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/controlC0': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/seq': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/timer': No such file or directory
    Merging /initrd/pup_rw onto /initrd/pup_ro1...
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/controlC0': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c': No such file or directory
Looked at it a bit closer and there we go.

While the pupsave file is written to the SD card for the first time, there exists no directory ../snd.. in /initrd/pup_ro1/dev/ .
Therefore the copying fails. After I copied the directory ../snd into /initrd/pup_ro1/dev the 'save' to the SD card went well.
Now the xerrs.log reads like this:
  • Merging /initrd/pup_rw onto /initrd/pup_ro1...
Ah, Precise Puppy running on a hard drive in frugal mode uses ../initrd/pup_ro2.. instead of ../initrd/pup_ro1.. .
../initrd/pup_ro2/dev has a /snd folder, ../initrd/pup_ro1/dev does not.

Question: There is no /usb folder in /initrd/pup_ro1/dev how about that? (needed or not?)

Regards
Feodor
Attachments
SDcard.jpg
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 3905 times
Last edited by FeodorF on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 23:51, edited 9 times in total.