Precise Puppy 5.4.3

Please post any bugs you have found
shinobar

burning dvd video on precise fails

#46 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote: The dvdauthor in precise is 154kB, whereas slacko 533 has 135kB.
Anyway i guess the dvdauthor in precise is somewhat broken.
The package from ubuntu precise, dvdauthor_0.7.0-1.1build1_i386.deb has /usr/bin/dvdauthor of 154kB.
The package from slackware 13.37, dvdauthor-0.7.0-i486-1sl.txz has 138kB.
the slackware is fine but the precise fails.
EDIT: No, I tried both dvdauthor on precise puppy and BOTH failed.
The only success is the dvdauthor extracted from slacko 533 of 135kB.
That sais:
DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.7.0.
Build options: gnugetopt iconv freetype fribidi fontconfig

Have anyone tried to burn dvd video with the pburn on the precise puppy?
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Gonzalo_VC

Old machines!?

#47 Post by Gonzalo_VC »

Hi, guys.
You are calling Pentium 4 and Athlon XP machines with more than 1.6 GHz processors "old" machines!!??
I'm trying Puppy (Precise, retro-precise and perhaps Wary) in a 500 MHz Pentium III, 512 MB of RAM and 10 GB (slow) HD. That's an old machine to be rescued by Linux! :D

I fell the system (fully installed) quite slow with regular Precise. Do you think it's the system (should I use Wary?) or that y have formated the discs with ext4 file-system?

By the way, how do we configure a separated /home in another partition?

Cheers for Puppy!

nubc

#48 Post by nubc »

Gonzalo,
I would full-install Wary 5.3 with ext2 file system, and 500 MB Linux-swap partition (usually placed at the end of the hard drive space) on a 500 MHz P3 computer with 512 MB ram. Run and test Wary 5.3 as live CD before you decide to install to hard drive.
http://puppylinux.com/download/

download wary-5.3.iso:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.3/

If that doesn't satisfy, try ttuuxxx's ClassicPup 2.14x, which has an older kernel more suited to your older computer, but with up-to-date apps.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553
By the way, how do we configure a separated /home in another partition?
You should post this question in another section of the forum, either Beginner's Help or Users, because the question is off-topic. (topic = Precise Puppy 5.4.1 bugs)
EDIT: Gonzalo, please post issues with a slow computer and selection of suitable Puppy version in Beginner's Help or Users section of forum. Move discussion to there.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 14 Nov 2012, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.

Gonzalo_VC

I did it!

#49 Post by Gonzalo_VC »

I did it, my friend.
I have a 500+ MB swap space at the begging of the HD.
I tested Puppy before installation, and I have used and tested other Puppies (Wary and previous versions). I still wonder which version is better for a 500 MHz PentiumIII (pae or non-pae Precise Puppy, or Wary at last!?).

A problem I have now is the low speed the system is showing. I guess is the ext4 partition instead of ext3 our 2, as you have suggested.

Cheers!
Log live GNU/Linux and Puppy!!!

PS: I saw the 214X-top10.iso page. Which one is the latest? the 10th? Thanks.

FeodorF

Error messages in /tmp/xerrs.log

#50 Post by FeodorF »

Hello to everybody!

I have found a lot of entries in the /tmp/xerrs.log file. They all sound the same.

Using RetroPrecise Puppy 541 on my P-III 850, 1280MB. The pupsave file is 512MB. It's on a 2GB SD card (USB). Booting Puppy from my CD rom drive.
    Merging /initrd/pup_rw onto /initrd/pup_ro1...
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/controlC0': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/seq': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/timer': No such file or directory
    Merging /initrd/pup_rw onto /initrd/pup_ro1...
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/controlC0': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create special file `/initrd/pup_ro1/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c': No such file or directory
Looked at it a bit closer and there we go.

While the pupsave file is written to the SD card for the first time, there exists no directory ../snd.. in /initrd/pup_ro1/dev/ .
Therefore the copying fails. After I copied the directory ../snd into /initrd/pup_ro1/dev the 'save' to the SD card went well.
Now the xerrs.log reads like this:
  • Merging /initrd/pup_rw onto /initrd/pup_ro1...
Ah, Precise Puppy running on a hard drive in frugal mode uses ../initrd/pup_ro2.. instead of ../initrd/pup_ro1.. .
../initrd/pup_ro2/dev has a /snd folder, ../initrd/pup_ro1/dev does not.

Question: There is no /usb folder in /initrd/pup_ro1/dev how about that? (needed or not?)

Regards
Feodor
Attachments
SDcard.jpg
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 3905 times
Last edited by FeodorF on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 23:51, edited 9 times in total.

peebee

Chromium 25

#51 Post by peebee »

Chromium 25 in both pet and sfs formats for Precise 5.4.1 is available from:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 51&start=8
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

FeodorF

Geany will not minimize after you have hit F11

#52 Post by FeodorF »

oldyeller wrote:Hello,

Precise retro 541

I have notice that after a while using Geany that it would not minimize when clicking on the taskbar.

Has any one else have this problem?

Cheers
..there is a little problem..
If you maximize the Geany window by clicking at the right hand top position and hitting the F11 key sometime afterwards, then you'll not be able to minimize the Geany window the usual way.

..the solution to it..
You'll have to drag the Geany window from the lower right hand side to a smaller size. After you have done this, you'll be able to maximize and minimize Geany the usual way again.

Rem.: @oldyeller Hi! If you maximized Geany by using the F11 key, you will have to follow the above described step.

Ha,Ha!

Confirm the trouble report of oldyeller.

Just happened while typing.

Regards
Feodor
Last edited by FeodorF on Wed 14 Nov 2012, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#53 Post by Jasper »

Hi BarryK et al.

Precise 5.4 PAE with a few additions and tweaks is now precisely perfect for me. I tried 5.4.1 but in my case there was nothing to fix - so I don’t need it.

My 486 capable machine cannot install any applications from the PPM, but if I have to get an i686 replacement (maybe with oodles of RAM though since last year I haven't used Swap) - I’m ready.

All the pre-installed apps I've tried are working well so I have all the entertainment I need and with LibreOffice, four additional browsers, a flat portable linux database and many “Wine

Neutrino

Bittorrent

#54 Post by Neutrino »

I wish to see on the download-pages torrent-links and/or magnet-links for the puppy-.iso files, I will seed with my server too. I don't like zipped torrent-files... and let us define which tracker we use, not too many, maybe:

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80
udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce
http://exodus.desync.com:6969/announce
udp://tracker.ccc.de:80

At last the torrent-links should are in rss-feed too...[/url]

goolwa_pup

wireless on precise

#55 Post by goolwa_pup »

Thought I would have a look at precise ...dont know why because lucid works perfectly for me and I had a few issues so I thought I would report them to precises developers....

My usb mini wireless 8192cu (realtek chips set i believe) is not working....well it lights up but refuses to connect to WPA2. It does work in Lucid Puppy.....

so I tried my usb TP-LINK TL-WN422G which did not work oob either....this one was a problem in lucid too and I had to load NDIS wrapper (.inf file) and type in the following things and reboot

ndiswrapper -a 0cf3:1006 netathuw
ndiswrapper -m
ndiswrapper -ma
ndiswrapper -mi

this got the lights on for tp-link but once again could not connect to wpa2.....I am not an expert so I cant fix these things ......but Tempestuous did get the realtek usb to work by recompiling the module under the correct kernel in lucid......I think he did the same with the TP-LINK usb...but I already had it going under NDIS wrapper so never tested (or bothered using the bulky dongle after I got the mini usb).....so maybe someone can do similar thing for precise ......

or maybe I am barking up the wrong tree and maybe its a wpa2 issue? bethatasitmay......not working......showstopper...... so I will go back to lucid and check in on precise later in its development cycle to see how its going ....thanks

prehistoric

#56 Post by prehistoric »

I also had some wireless issues with 5.4.1, though these may well be intermittent failures. I was able to connect with a Realtech 8192ce mini-PCIe card using WPA on one machine. On another (the Dell Inspiron N4010 which sparked an off-topic rant) I had trouble either holding a connection or making it initially. In that case the wireless AP was using WEP, which may not have been tested as much.

I have returned the repaired machine, so it will take time for me to follow up on the problem. In the brief testing I did on delivery I had trouble connecting with that AP, though I had not had trouble connecting to my own wireless LAN (WPA encryption) using the same machine and 5.4.1. I seemed to have better luck with the old networking wizard than with Barry's simple network setup, but this may be a result of simple randomness.

More to follow when I have access to the machine again.

komarx6

#57 Post by komarx6 »

I recommend not doing full install, at all. Use frugal, it's OK.
In full install there's problem when installing software from PPM. It messes everything up. Font and icons disappear. So don't do it.

I have installed frugal, and it work fine, and fast (to hard drive, btw).
However, I have a little problem. I guess I should start new thread fro this, but I'll post it here anyway (I hope it won't be a problem).

Since I'm from Serbia, and I browse web pages with cyrilic fonts frequently. But some letters do not look as they should and they are to small. Is there a way to fix this? maybe to import font from ubuntu machine or something like that?

don570

LADSPA audio effects for mhwaveedit and Audacity

#58 Post by don570 »

LADSPA audio effects for mhwaveedit and Audacity

A new version of mhwaveedit is needed to support plugins.

Fortunately Pemasu was able to get hold of a version.
I have made a pet package to quickly install
mhwaveedit. If you want more audio effects for mhwaveedit
then install the included LADSPA-plugins.

Note ---> This version of mhwaveedit won't run in most puppies
because of the many dependencies it needs.

The flange effect and the speed effect is neat :lol:
You will see a longer effects menu in mhwaveedit (see image)

rcrsn51

#59 Post by rcrsn51 »

komarx6 wrote:In full install there's problem when installing software from PPM. It messes everything up. Font and icons disappear
There were numerous reports of exactly this problem. But it was not clear whether it was specific to full installs.
Sage wrote: Precise gives few issues for FULL installation across a broad spectrum of HW. Recommendation to avoid it is ill-conceived. .
May I make a suggestion? Komarx6 should pick an app from the PPM that he knows will corrupt a full install. Sage should then install it on his system using the same procedure.

01micko

#60 Post by 01micko »

I posted a possible reason for borked (yes, "borked" is not a word!) icons after installing a package here, however I was unable to reproduce it in a frugal install.

I think this is because in the layered filesystem the original /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache (a symlink in precise to /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders .. Barry's design) is always seen through the layers but in a full install it is a real file and has one location, /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache. Actually the converse could also be true causing confusion to the OS.

I didn't get any feedback on my post (linked above) but the post below by zul seems to suggest that what I hypothesised is true.

It is true that we need more testers or reports on this problem to come to an appropriate solution. This has ramifications for more than Precise but also Debian testing (wheezy) and Raspbian (raspberry pi, which by their very nature are full installs) builds.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

OscarTalks

#61 Post by OscarTalks »

Not sure if this is a woof bug or how you would track it down, but it happens with Precise 5.4.1 and also in the latest Slacko betas but not in 5.3.3 or Wary 5.3 or Lupu so I wondered if it has crept in recently.

If I compile the latest or previous Deadbeef it builds OK but when I run it it calls for an icon at /usr/deadbeef.png which is a very strange place for it to be hoping to find an icon. The build process does not install one there.

Without it there is no icon in the tray or icon in the taskbar button or top left of the GUI. Obviously I can copy an icon over there but it seems wrong to have to do that.
Oscar in England

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

OscarTalks wrote:If I compile the latest or previous Deadbeef it builds OK but when I run it it calls for an icon at /usr/deadbeef.png which is a very strange place for it to be hoping to find an icon. The build process does not install one there.
I could not duplicate this situation, but here was my test:

1. I built Deadbeef in the lastest Slacko and made a PET.
2. When I installed the PET, it did not register in the menus.
3. I fixed that by running "fixmenus" and "jwm -restart".
4. However, the menu entry in Multimedia was labeled Prev! The icon was correct.

[Edit] This problem has been resolved.

5. Clicking it worked correctly, including the entry in the system tray.
it calls for an icon at /usr/deadbeef.png
Where are you seeing that message?
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#63 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello rcrsn51,

Thanks for responding to my post.

I do normally edit the .desktop file so it all displays in the menu fine. Maybe I am doing something wrong there but the same editing in the slightly earlier Puppies does not give this glitch.

The indication that it is looking for the icon file in the wrong location comes from running "deadbeef" in the terminal. After the lines about loading of the plugins I see:-

Code: Select all

(deadbeef:21543): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon from file '/usr/deadbeef.png':
Failed to open file '/usr/deadbeef.png': No such file or directory
connecting button tray signals
Oscar in England

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

OscarTalks wrote:I do normally edit the .desktop file so it all displays in the menu fine. Maybe I am doing something wrong there but the same editing in the slightly earlier Puppies does not give this glitch.
Post your current .desktop file.

pemasu

#65 Post by pemasu »