VPN Possible?

Using applications, configuring, problems
gary101

VPN Possible?

#1 Post by gary101 »

Hi
Using slacko 5.3.3 at the moment on a hard drive install.

I am currently looking in to setting my machine up to provide a VPN server so that when I go abroad i can access BBC and ITV players using a vpn connection. Is this possible?

I have to mention that my home computer is connected to the internet behind a router, so presumably, some port forwarding will be required.

What steps do I need to take to set up the server and also the client, if this is indeed possible?
If it's not one thing it's your mother

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

Get yourself x11vnc server and tightvnc viewer here.

Install the server on your home computer and have it autostart when you boot. (/root/Startup). Install the viewer on the travel computer.

You will need to port forward, with the server, on your router.

If you have a dynamic IP, you might want to look into a dynamic DNS address also. See Here

Most recent routers have a setting to keep the dynamic DNS address current.

I believe there are also cloud services (thru google-chrome extensions ?) that might work also.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Barkin

Re: VPN Possible?

#3 Post by Barkin »

gary101 wrote:... so that when I go abroad i can access BBC and ITV players using a vpn connection. Is this possible?
If you are just trying to access UK TV whilst abroad, rather than remotely accessing files on your home computer, then all you need is a web proxy service in the UK ... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468710

gary101

#4 Post by gary101 »

Thanks for the thoughts guys

I have been using VNC and also teamviewer for years. Unfortunately vnc does not allow you to see media windows and also there are some latency problems for this application.

UK proxy servers are very hard to come by (reliable ones that is) which is why I was looking in to setting up my own.

I have now got a working setup that works fine, using Squid proxy server on the UK machine and foxyproxy on the client abroad, getting very usable speeds too.

The only thing I am still scratching my head on is setting up a username and password on the server.

Within the config file is reference to NTLM authentication scheme (among others) but I cannot find any of the authoriser files in slacko or in the repositories.

Perhaps someone Squid savvy can point me in the right direction?
If it's not one thing it's your mother