'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
elroy

#31 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Thunar doesn't show thumbnails even if it is checked in preferences? Also no thumbnails in Ristretto either.
Yes, I think I'll need to revisit the Thunar plugins.
rg66 wrote:I installed xfce-4.10-i486 from the repo over top...
The only problem is that version of xfce includes some 4.8.0 stuff that jemimah had included to keep some of the panel applets working. While that certainly is an option, I'm trying to get away from 4.8.0 and use only the 4.10 applets.

elroy

Re: dumb question

#32 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:In the repository pets, there are sometimes NLS and non-NLS versions. Aah what does NLS stand for?
Native Language Support. It allows users that don't want to use the default language (English in this case) to use their own.

elroy

Re: USB drives

#33 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:They have always been fine on the desktop, in thunar, and in pmount. The struggle has been with the xfce mounter plugin for the xfce4 panel. It was ok prior to xfce 4.80 and since then it hasn't,
I've fixed the lina_xfce-4.10.pet in the repo to display notifications. It can be added as a pet (and if done so, ignore the file-clobber warnings and restart X-Windows), or it can be added to an adrive build.

I'm still working on the panel mount. I can unmount mounted devices, but it still won't display devices that are not mounted.

As a side note, it you're not using the pup-volume-monitor, the devices aren't shown on the thunar side panel, but they are accessible from /dev/mnt. Also, after installing the fixed lina_xfce-4.10 pet, if you go into thunar preferences and enable the hot plugging option, when mounting via pmount, thunar will automatically open displaying the contents of the device.

EDIT: Marv, I used your 1st 60-rule with the fixed lina_xfce-4.10.pet. I see that you've posted a newer version. I'll test that out and see if I have success, and if so incorporate that into the pet. Thanks for your help :D
Last edited by elroy on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 05:44, edited 2 times in total.

rg66

#34 Post by rg66 »

elroy wrote:
The only problem is that version of xfce includes some 4.8.0 stuff that jemimah had included to keep some of the panel applets working. While that certainly is an option, I'm trying to get away from 4.8.0 and use only the 4.10 applets.
I was just playing around with no save file to see if I could get it to show thumbnails. Maybe not the proper fix, but good enough until 002 comes out.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

elroy

#35 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:
elroy wrote:
I was just playing around with no save file to see if I could get it to show thumbnails. Maybe not the proper fix, but good enough until 002 comes out.
Yes, and I'm certainly not 'spanking' you for doing so. If it works, then it's not wrong. Just explaining the rational. When moving to a new base there's bound to be a few glitches, and I do apologize for that.

elroy

#36 Post by elroy »

dawg wrote:Regarding the version numbering: why 001, and not 003, or is Lite so much different from the Carolina 003 ?
The thing is, it tends to add to the confusion, especially for newcomers, as now you have 3 distros of the same kind (Saluki, Carolina, Lina Lite -??), which, IMO, all could/should have been one. Is all this branching really necessary?
Just something to consider...

Anyhow, Lina Lite - excellent idea and much appreciated!
Thanks, elroy & everyone who contributes to it!
Yes, the lite version is very much different than Carolina-003. And it's the first supported release of the lite version, hence the different version numbering. The lite is more experimental, and may have more frequent releases than the mainstream Carolina; therefore, a different version system is required.

It really shouldn't be confusing if you read the first post on this thread. The lite version isn't intended for newbees. The standard Carolina is. Also, while Carolina is derived from Saluki, it isn't Saluki. That would be akin to saying Saluki is just another Wary. While Saluki is derived from Wary, and many of it's underpinnings are compatable, they are far from the same. The same holds true for Carolina and Saluki. Carolina is not Saluki 024. Carolina is Carolina. And Carolina lite is an experimental version intended for those that are experienced enough to understand it's concepts, while the main Carolina distro is intended for newbees/windows refugees. However, you're more than welcome to use the lite version, and we'll do our best to help you out with your questions if you should choose to use it. Just be aware that the learning curve for the lite version is steep when compared to the standard Carolina.

In a nutshell, the standard Carolina comes equipped with pretty much everything you need to have a workable distro right out of the box. The lite version includes almost nothing. It's a base package that's intended to allow users to create their own dream distro on top of the xfce-4.10 desktop/wm in a puppy environment by using Saluki-centric tools, i.e. tools that were originally developed in Saluki, but have been incorporated into Carolina.

elroy

#37 Post by elroy »

Sage wrote:Anyone for a 50M version.....
While I could do an aprox. 50 meg version using an ancient kernel and/or text based apps, that wouldn't be much fun for an every day distro, although it may have its uses as a utility distro for fixing things via a cd/pen-drive. If one were to do that, though, it'd make more sense to do so as a console only version, almost a dos styled linux.

elroy

#38 Post by elroy »

Sage wrote:Incidentally, it's deeply unfashionable to say anything even mildly concordant with my views on this Forum and certain other outlets for fear of currying disfavour with the usual suspects. Hope your shoulders are broad enough?
Well Sage, we've butted heads in the past. Obviously, I'm not someone that holds grudges. It isn't productive. Life is too short, and besides, we all have a common goal concerning Puppy Linux. If you're adding to the conversation, then that's a good thing, If you're being a horses arse, believe me, I'd be the first to let you know. As far as having broad enough shoulders, it should be apparent that I don't give a flying rip about what others think concerning who I converse with. In my 'real life' I'm a pit-boss at a c-a-s-i-n-o (I have to type it that way, else it displays as 'rob-you-blind'); I'm very used to confrontation. So far, concerning Carolina, I have no issues with your input. Input is most appreciated.

Sage

#39 Post by Sage »

Too kind, el. Your genius shows through daily as well as your magnanimity. I guess folks who haven't experienced the naked brutality of academic peer revue (sic) might not understand the difference between honest dissent and camaraderie. I do what I can to report what I see in a field well outside my profession, so clearly not in your league, nor Marv, Geoff, rg & gang. I like your artistic taste, too!
Anyone for a 50M version.....
tongue remove from cheek! But MeanPup is always worth a revisit.

rg66

#40 Post by rg66 »

elroy wrote: Yes, and I'm certainly not 'spanking' you for doing so. If it works, then it's not wrong. Just explaining the rational. When moving to a new base there's bound to be a few glitches, and I do apologize for that.
No worries, I certainly didn't take it to be a spanking (besides, only my wife is aloud to do that :wink: ).

I agree with your rational, if your going to go with 4.10 it might as well be all or nothing. And no need to apologize for "glitches", it is a beta after all and myself and I"m sure many more are thankfull for your efforts.

elroy

#41 Post by elroy »

I've added the lina_xfce_DEV-4.10.pet, lina_xfce_DOC-4.10.pet, and the lina_xfce_NLS-4.10.pet to the repo if anyone should need those files. By using the DEV pet you can compile the separate xfce-4.10 modules if you find the need (do so on a pfix=ram boot though, lest you pollute your save file if using new2dir afterwards).

elroy

#42 Post by elroy »

Sage wrote:
Anyone for a 50M version.....
tongue remove from cheek! But MeanPup is always worth a revisit.
For an interesting micro-pup, you may want to take a peek at pUPnGO if you haven't already done so.

Marv

#43 Post by Marv »

elroy wrote:
Marv wrote:
I'm still working on the panel mount. I can unmount mounted devices, but it still won't display devices that are not mounted.

EDIT: Marv, I used your 1st 60-rule with the fixed lina_xfce-4.10.pet. I see that you've posted a newer version. I'll test that out and see if I have success, and if so incorporate that into the pet. Thanks for your help :D
Let me know what won't show. Sorry for the change in rule but I'm trying to catch more devices and had a limited number to try out initially. I know it won't see CDs yet but picking up USBs and CFs helps it some.
If it shows in the panel mount but won't mount, try mounting from thunar/pmount/desktop to create a mount point. Unmount, then should mount from then on from the panel mount.

Edited: I have improved rules that now make mount points if needed. CD/DVD still giving me fits. I can add it correctly to fstab with udev, but cannot remove it gracefully on eject! I'll update the latest attachment and delete the earlier with a note when I either surmount or yield to the CD.

Edited 11/13/2012: Rules updated and uploaded to add mount points if needed. No cd or dvd support included or planned. I don't have any hddx but given the device name, the two lines in the rule could simply be cloned and modded at KERNEL==. Or also will work ie. sd??|hd?? and so on. CDs are much trickier. I couldn't do it cleanly enough to make it worth the effort.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

#44 Post by elroy »

elroy wrote:I've added the lina_xfce_DEV-4.10.pet, lina_xfce_DOC-4.10.pet, and the lina_xfce_NLS-4.10.pet to the repo if anyone should need those files. By using the DEV pet you can compile the separate xfce-4.10 modules if you find the need (do so on a pfix=ram boot though, lest you pollute your save file if using new2dir afterwards).
My bad. At the time I posted this, I somehow managed to not complete the upload of these pets. They're in the repo now. Sorry for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused :oops:

elroy

#45 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Edited 11/13/2012: Rules updated and uploaded to add mount points if needed. No cd or dvd support included or planned. I don't have any hddx but given the device name, the two lines in the rule could simply be cloned and modded at KERNEL==. Or also will work ie. sd??|hd?? and so on. CDs are much trickier. I couldn't do it cleanly enough to make it worth the effort.
Eww. That worked well. With the pup-volume-monitor running, I plugged my usb stick in, and the panel mounter found it and let me mount it.

I then shut-down the pup-volume-monitor

Code: Select all

./etc/init.d/volume-monitor stop
[/b] and it still worked. Found the usb-stick and let me mount/unmount it. That's awesome. Now we have the choice of using the pup-volume-monitor, pmount, or the panel mounter. At least for usb's.

rg66

#46 Post by rg66 »

Pupsaveconfig isn't giving me the save interval option like it did in Carolina or Saluki.
Attachments
PupSave-Lite.png
(12.56 KiB) Downloaded 1323 times
PupSave-Carolina.png
(28.59 KiB) Downloaded 1342 times

elroy

#47 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:Pupsaveconfig isn't giving me the save interval option like it did in Carolina or Saluki.
If you'll notice, the version numbers are different. Carolina-003 upgraded the PupSaveConfig to the latest version (at that time). However, since then Shinobar has posted that v.2.2.4 had a bug and has since released v.2.2.5. If you prefer the 2.2.2 version, you can download the pet here. However, you may want to try the v.2.2.5 as it works much the same as v.2.2.2. It'll be included in Carolina-004 when the time comes if a newer version isn't available by then.

rg66

#48 Post by rg66 »

Ya, I knew they were different versions. In Saluki or Carolina is doesn't matter which version, it gives me the interval option. In lite, no matter which version it doesn't.

Edit:

Boot without save file. Install v2.2.2, make save file. Reboot, no interval option.

Boot without save file. Install v2.2.5, make save file. Reboot, no interval option.

Geoffrey

#49 Post by Geoffrey »

rg66 wrote:Ya, I knew they were different versions. In Saluki or Carolina is doesn't matter which version, it gives me the interval option. In lite, no matter which version it doesn't.

Edit:

Boot without save file. Install v2.2.2, make save file. Reboot, no interval option.

Boot without save file. Install v2.2.5, make save file. Reboot, no interval option.
It's working for me in Carolina003 on usb, sounds as if it don't know what mode it's running in

this gives me mode 13

Code: Select all

PUPMODE=`cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE |head -n 1|cut -f2 -d=`;echo $PUPMODE
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rg66

#50 Post by rg66 »

Thanks Geoffrey, it's was in mode 12. I'm using a sata frugal install, I changed isolinux.cfg to pmedia=ataflash and it's working now.