Puppy DVD won't boot (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
Bill3

Puppy DVD won't boot (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Bill3 »

I have never used Linux before and would like to install it on a 2003 vintage machine to start learning. The computer is a Gateway E6000 with a Pentium 4 processor (2.4 GHz), 512 MB RAM, and 160 GB hdd. I downloaded the Slacko 6.3.2 32-bit ISO, compared the checksum, and burned the ISO to a CD. The BIOS is set with the DVD reader as the first boot device and Rapid Boot is disabled. When I start the computer, the LED on the DVD reader flashes briefly, then it boots to Windows XP. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.
Last edited by Bill3 on Sat 20 Oct 2018, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Bill3,

Did you use burncdcc to burn the ISO? Linux is case sensitive. Windows programs frequently screw things up by capitalizing letters. And some CD burning programs expect you to know which buttons to push. There are a couple of programs which do it right. burncdcc is the one I used to use. You'll find a version here: Edit, see Moat's post 2 down. I agree with his assessment. Sorry, was in a rush.

p.s. On your computer, I'd recommend Sailor Enceladus' Slacko 5.7.1 available here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 794#976794.

It's a recent remaster of Slacko 5.7 which was first published before 6.3.2. I believe it requires less computing resources such as Random Access Memory than 6.3.2. Sailor's remaster actually makes it "newer" in some respects.

Slacko 5.7.x is what some of us "old-timers" consider the "work horse": runs from any computer and has applications to serve any purpose.
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

Bill3

#3 Post by Bill3 »

Thanks, mikeslr.

The filename on the CD appears as all lower case. I used the burner that comes in Windows 10, but I will try burncdcc and Slacko 5.7.1 and let you know what happens.

Moat

#4 Post by Moat »

Just a note - I personally don't trust stuff downloaded from the Softsonic site Mike linked to (possible bundled adware, "downloader" app, etc.), so here's the website of what I believe to be the original source/creator of burncdcc (indeed a great, tiny Windows iso-to-CD burning utility!);

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downl ... ftware.htm

... and a useful site for scanning programs you've downloaded, to be extra sure - VirusTotal;

https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload

(edit to add) And indeed, I'm getting different zip file sizes - 69kb @ Softsonic vs. 178kb @ www.terabyteunlimited.com - and a positive malware hit @ VirusTotal on the 69kb Softsonic burncdcc.zip. :shock:

FWIW - and welcome to the forum, Bill3!

Bob

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

The filename on the CD appears as all lower case.
This was checked by using the DVD drive that is on the computer that will not boot?
So you know the DVD drive is working OK?
That old a computer.
The DVD drive could be broken, dirty inside, read lens needs cleaning, etc......

When you burn the CD use a slow speed.
8X or less.

The CD has a lot of files on it?
You burned it with option burn iso image?
Should be all the files in the iso on the CD.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Bill3

#6 Post by Bill3 »

With help from mikeslr, Moat, and bigpup, I have successfully burned CDs and opened both Slacko 6.3.2 and 5.7.1. Trying to burn the CDs with Windows File Explorer seems to have been my biggest mistake. BurnCDCC from terabyteunlimited worked easily and simply. The suggestions about checking the DVD drive on the old computer, using a slow speed to burn the CD, and checking for multiple files were all helpful. They would have greatly simplified identifying and correcting any other mistakes as I went. Now I have to experiment and figure out what I don't know - how to access files on the hard drive and what the various display resolutions with the same number of pixels are have already appeared. If I can't find answers on my own, you'll certainly hear from me again. Until then, thanks for the invaluable help you've already supplied.