How to delete / backup puppy .2fs save files?

Booting, installing, newbie
evilbrent

#1 Post by evilbrent »

After a few false starts I now have a series of unwanted .2fs files on my old laptop. Now I've only got 293MB left on this 5.8GB hard drive and there's no files on it (there's a windows 2000 partition that I kind of want to keep for posterity).

How do I / Should I delete the unwanted safe files whilst keeping the one most recent one (started today, contains nothing I need to keep)?

Or should I just run the live CD (with puppy pfix=ram) and format the drive using gparted?

Section 9.2 here seems to say I can mount them and then view them in the file manager - can I delete them then?

I'm leaning towards starting from scratch.

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

There is no trick to deleting unused save files, just delete them.

The important consideration is if you have personal stuff saved in them, then you may need to make backups of that data before deleting them.

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

Here's how I'd do it:

1. I'd boot/run a Puppy that uses some pupsave file other than the one[s] to be deleted.
You might choose instead to run the Puppy that would normally use that Pupsave, but use the command puppy pfix=ram so it doesn't use the pupsave during that session.

2. When using one of the above methods...
So that the pupsaves in question are not in use...
You can do anything you like with those pupsave files.

evilbrent

#4 Post by evilbrent »

Thanks. Perhaps you misunderestimated me. Where exactly can I find the pupsave files? It's not immediately obvious just hunting around and google produces complicated answers.

Monsie

#5 Post by Monsie »

evilbrent,

Have you looked in your /mnt/home directory for the save file(s)?

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

evilbrent

#6 Post by evilbrent »

Thanks, I'll look there.

Brent.

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

evilbrent wrote:Where exactly can I find the pupsave files? It's not immediately obvious just hunting around...
They aught to be in the /mnt/home folder...
Of the partition where you told each Puppy to put them...
When you were asked [at 1st shut-down?] by each Puppy where you wanted them held.
It's always possible you put the various pupsave files on various partitions on various storage media.
You need to be aware of what you're doing as you do it.
I keep [almost] all of mine on the same partition on the same internal HDD.

e.g.
2. Here's where I put [all but 1 of] mine:
Attachments
00.png
(9.44 KiB) Downloaded 874 times

evilbrent

#8 Post by evilbrent »

Thanks, that answers my question. You'd be surprised, there's a lot of information about how to use the files, but I did a lot of reading and didn't actually find out how to find them to manipulate them. I appreciate it.