Recommend me a set up for a Thin Client

Booting, installing, newbie
RAC0902

Recommend me a set up for a Thin Client

#1 Post by RAC0902 »

Hi, my first post so please be gentle :D

I have a Neoware CA21 thin client on which I would like to use Puppy 5.2.8 but I am a complete Linux virgin and so not sure of the best configuartion for a system such as this. Hardware specs can be found here http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/neowa ... ndex.shtml I have upped the RAM to 1GB otherwise everything else is standard. My eventual target is to use the machine to stream downloaded video from a NAS using BBC-iplayer (get-iplayer)ect.

I have so far played around with Lucid 5.2.8 from a USB flash drive with few problems, but I was wondering if there would be any advantages to loading Puppy on the DOM Compact Flash. If so, then is it possible do this but then have the savefile write to a USB Flash drive and is there a step by step guide to doing this as I have no idea of how to use the command line.

Any suggestions or alternative recommendations gratefully received

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It sounds like you're already way ahead of anything I've tried so I can't really recommend anything. Have you tried to access the NAS box yet?

RAC0902

#3 Post by RAC0902 »

Flash wrote:It sounds like you're already way ahead of anything I've tried. Have you tried to access the NAS box yet?
Not sure I'd go that far. My only computer experience is with 'Windoze' I've been OK with the bits in Puppy that come with a GUI but anything that involves the command line leaves me lost.

I’ve managed to find my NAS using the samba share wizard and have managed to access my music files but haven’t tried video yet. I wanted to install get_iplayer but this all seemed command line based which was a step too far at this stage. Thought I would therefore concentrate on getting the installation optimized for the hardware I have before proceeding further.

RAC0902

#4 Post by RAC0902 »

Quick update, just managed to find and install Get_iplayer with the GUI by 666philb.

Downloaded a program (Later with Jools Holland) but unfortunately I don't think my hardware is up to it, as by the time the video had got to the end of song one, the audio was about half way through song 2. Ran the Htop system process viewer during playback and CPU was constantly maxed out at 100%, RAM was running at about 50%.

The attraction of the thin client was the lower power consumption, but I guess I'll either have to find something with a bit more grunt or avoid video streaming :lol: other than that I've been very impressed so far with what this small OS can do.

Would still love to hear though any recommendations as to the best way to configure puppy for this hardware